The NHL asked... should Roman Josi be in the HOF ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Idk if he'd make it if he retired today - but he'll play a lot more and add to what is already at least debatably worthy.

He definitely gets in at some point.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
His 95 point season was the most points by a defenseman since Leetch 30 years ago. He was very dominant that year, especially in the 2nd half of the season.
Idk man you tell me, assuming you’re a Preds fan. Has Josi really been a better defenseman than Weber? You would know better than me so I’m not going to argue with Preds fans here but from what I’ve seen I think scoring is up and OFD are getting overly rewarded in Norris voting the last 8 or so years.

Weber always seemed like far and away the better defenseman overall. The guy could very easily have 2 Norris trophies to his name and was a prototype defenseman for a decade or so. Josi is a great asset but he’s not quite the same player if you know what I mean. Not just physically, but overall impact and recognition.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Nearly at 700 career points, would likely have a realistic shot at 1000 as a D-man is pretty good. To go along with a Norris, 3 AS and top 5 finish in Norris 5 times. I'd say he's pretty close to a lock.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Idk man you tell me, assuming you’re a Preds fan. Has Josi really been a better defenseman than Weber? You would know better than me so I’m not going to argue with Preds fans here but from what I’ve seen I think scoring is up and OFD are getting overly rewarded in Norris voting the last 8 or so years.

Weber always seemed like far and away the better defenseman overall. The guy could very easily have 2 Norris trophies to his name and was a prototype defenseman for a decade or so. Josi is a great asset but he’s not quite the same player if you know what I mean. Not just physically, but overall impact and recognition.

Shea Weber's generally been a bit overrated, doesn't mean he wasn't a top tier-ish type of D in the league for some years, but he wasn't this all-time two-way beast either. Firstly, his defensive game (while solid) got a bit overrated, probably because he was a big physical scary-looking guy with a Paul Mara type of beard. But this is a player that got continually danced by Ryan Kesler in a playoff series, and Kesler while good was never that much of an offensive virtuoso, but with his speed Weber just couldn't keep up.

Secondly, Weber was a subpar puck transporter and playmaker, two fairly critical aspects of a 1D's game. His highest amount of assists in a season was 33. That's very low for a #1 type of D that logs shit ton of TOI year in and year out. Even his former colleague Ryan Suter, who himself was never that much of an all-time playmaking ace, and played on the exact same type of teams as Weber, either tied or eclipsed that assist amount 10 times over his career.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Here's a complete list of defensemen who have placed in the top five for the Norris trophy at least five times:

PLAYER1st2nd3rd4th5thTOTAL
Ray Bourque
5​
6​
4​
4​
19​
Nicklas Lidstrom
7​
3​
1​
1​
1​
13​
Bobby Orr
8​
1​
9​
Doug Harvey
7​
1​
1​
9​
Paul Coffey
3​
2​
1​
1​
2​
9​
Pierre Pilote
3​
3​
2​
8​
Zdeno Chara
1​
2​
3​
1​
1​
8​
Tim Horton
2​
2​
3​
1​
8​
Chris Chelios
3​
2​
1​
1​
7​
Denis Potvin
3​
2​
1​
1​
7​
Larry Robinson
2​
1​
3​
1​
7​
Chris Pronger
1​
3​
1​
2​
7​
Brad Park
6​
1​
7​
Bill Gadsby
3​
3​
1​
7​
Al MacInnis
1​
3​
2​
6​
Jacques Laperriere
1​
1​
2​
2​
6​
Victor Hedman
1​
5​
6​
Borje Salming
2​
2​
2​
6​
Scott Stevens
2​
1​
2​
1​
6​
Erik Karlsson
3​
2​
5​
Brian Leetch
2​
1​
1​
1​
5​
Rod Langway
2​
1​
2​
5​
Roman Josi
1​
2​
2​
5​
Rob Blake
1​
2​
1​
1​
5​
Shea Weber
2​
1​
2​
5​
Fern Flaman
3​
2​
5​

Every player on that list is in the Hall of Fame, or is a future lock (ie Hedman, Karlsson). I doubt that Josi breaks the trend.

Yep. Thanks for the list -- I've always been lazy for that. And it comes to what I hinted at : even if Josi would be the worst in that group, he's still comfortably above the HHOF line.

Though I was sure Tremblay also did.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

Weber was the ideal kind of defenseman in the 2000s and into the early 2010s. Josi has been the ideal kind of defenseman for the late 2010s and the 2020s so far.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Shea Weber's generally been a bit overrated, doesn't mean he wasn't a top tier-ish type of D in the league for some years, but he wasn't this all-time two-way beast either. Firstly, his defensive game (while solid) got a bit overrated, probably because he was a big physical scary-looking guy with a Paul Mara type of beard. But this is a player that got continually danced by Ryan Kesler in a playoff series, and Kesler while good was never that much of an offensive virtuoso, but with his speed Weber just couldn't keep up.

Secondly, Weber was a subpar puck transporter and playmaker, two fairly critical aspects of a 1D's game. His highest amount of assists in a season was 33. That's very low for a #1 type of D that logs shit ton of TOI year in and year out. Even his former colleague Ryan Suter, who himself was never that much of an all-time playmaking ace, and played on the exact same type of teams as Weber, either tied or eclipsed that assist amount 10 times over his career.
Lesser playmaker sure but from 2006-2020 he’s got the most goals scored of all defenseman. The guy was consistently a 15+ goal scorer in the low scoring 2010’s era

Weber was the ideal kind of defenseman in the 2000s and into the early 2010s. Josi has been the ideal kind of defenseman for the late 2010s and the 2020s so far.
That’s a fair point as well. I’m waiting on Preds fans here either way. If they’re going to say they think Josi is better than Weber then I’ll defer to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad