The Next Ones (after Bedard)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So argue.

My idea is that if players like Crosby, McDavid or Draisaitl played to have a 1000-goal career by adopting Ovechkin's one-dimensional game, they would do it without problem.
Wouldn't be surprising -- at all -- for Draisaitl to finish with 1800 goals if he reads your post.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Wouldn't be surprising -- at all -- for Draisaitl to finish with 1800 goals if he reads your post.
In career :

Draisaitl 18.1%
Ovechkin 12.9%

Last year :

Draisaitl 21.1%
Ovechkin 14.3%

For sure Draisaitl would score more career goals than Ovechkin if he equalized the number of attempts...

Especially since the argument of the player creating the attempts by himself does not work.

McDavid, without forcing, is ahead of Ovechkin at U26 (303 vs with 1948 shots 301 with 2526 shots).

This is why Ovechkin's record won't mean anything. He is the only one to have played for this record while others would have done it with less difficulty than him.

I think Crosby would have done so to say that Ovechkin is the generational talent rather than Crosby because he would have had the goals record is not valid.

Last edited:

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
In career :

Draisaitl 18.1%
Ovechkin 12.9%

Last year :

Draisaitl 21.1%
Ovechkin 14.3%

For sure Draisaitl would score more career goals than Ovechkin if he equalized the number of attempts...

Especially since the argument of the player creating the attempts by himself does not work.

McDavid, without forcing, is ahead of Ovechkin at U26 (303 vs with 1948 shots 301 with 2526 shots).

This is why Ovechkin's record won't mean anything. He is the only one to have played for this record while others would have done it with less difficulty than him.

I think Crosby would have done so to say that Ovechkin is the generational talent rather than Crosby because he would have had the goals record is not valid.
I'm usually the first one to criticize Ovechkin but being able to take shots off is a major skill in hockey. If there's anything holding back Draisaitl's game back it's his relative inability to create shooting opportunities for himself at 5vs5. He's not a high end goalscorer in 5vs5 hockey.

I think it's much fairer to point out that players like McDavid and Crosby have clearly superior overall offensive games to Ovechkin due to higher point totals. I highly doubt either could score as much as Ovechkin even if they really tried to, and trying it would only serve as a detriment to their overall effectiveness.

Reactions: ujju2

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I'm usually the first one to criticize Ovechkin but being able to take shots off is a major skill in hockey. If there's anything holding back Draisaitl's game back it's his relative inability to create shooting opportunities for himself at 5vs5. He's not a high end goalscorer in 5vs5 hockey.

I think it's much fairer to point out that players like McDavid and Crosby have clearly superior overall offensive games to Ovechkin due to higher point totals. I highly doubt either could score as much as Ovechkin even if they really tried to, and trying it would only serve as a detriment to their overall effectiveness.
???

Ovechkin gets the majority of his shots by camping in an offensive zone, served by his teammates.

He doesn't have the speed or dribbling skills of Draisaitl.

You put McDavid at the service of Draisaitl to pile up the goals, Draisaitl easily reached more than 70 goals in the season. Even without forcing and playing spontaneously, he is not very far from it.

• Haha
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
???

Ovechkin gets the majority of his shots by camping in an offensive zone, served by his teammates.

You put McDavid at the service of Draisaitl to pile up the goals, Draisaitl easily reached more than 70 goals in the season. Even without forcing and playing spontaneously, he is not very far from it.
Ovechkin used to be quite fast in the past. But he was always a bit of a spot picker

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Saw this guy playing during Brick. Made 3 passes to his teammates throughout the tournament.

For dribbling players in non-contact games, it was the best.

The other aspects of the game are not exploited at all on the ice.

Cameron Coombe had a much more complete and transposable game in the higher categories.
Yet he had 11 assists in 6 games…

I also watched him in the Brick tournament and he was by far the most dominant player in the tourney leading the Canadiens to their first cup in over a decade and destroying the previous points records Cole Caufield had with 29 points in 6 games

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Saw this guy playing during Brick. Made 3 passes to his teammates throughout the tournament.

For dribbling players in non-contact games, it was the best.

The other aspects of the game are not exploited at all on the ice.

Cameron Coombe had a much more complete and transposable game in the higher categories.
I disagree, I watched most of the tournament, and I thought Tep was slanging passes continuously, although usually in vain, because most of the time his teammates would whiff on his passes and fall over. I thought his shot was only an okay part of his game, it was mostly being bigger and always knowing what his opponents were doing. He'd regularly intercept passes and break up plays. He was completely on another planet of skill and awareness than most other players there. They're ten year olds, so they have a long time to catch up, but Tep looked great at the brick.

Reactions: wetcoast

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yet he had 11 assists in 6 games…

I also watched him in the Brick tournament and he was by far the most dominant player in the tourney leading the Canadiens to their first cup in over a decade and destroying the previous points records Cole Caufield had with 29 points in 6 games
It's this kind of intervention which shows that you haven't seen the matches.

His assists were shots and that made assists after the rebound.

Throughout the tournament, Montreal played without almost passing except 2-3 guys sometimes.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I disagree, I watched most of the tournament, and I thought Tep was slanging passes continuously, although usually in vain, because most of the time his teammates would whiff on his passes and fall over. I thought his shot was only an okay part of his game, it was mostly being bigger and always knowing what his opponents were doing. He'd regularly intercept passes and break up plays. He was completely on another planet of skill and awareness than most other players there. They're ten year olds, so they have a long time to catch up, but Tep looked great at the brick.
The most individualistic player after Fontaine in the entire tournament. I never saw him make the effort to play with his teammates.

Almost the whole team played like that. They were skating towards the goal without passing.

The contrast was striking with the opposing teams. Especially a team like Minnesota.

Normally, as I am French-speaking, I have a weakness for the Quebec teams but here I was disgusted by the game proposed.

On other teams, I saw players trying to play hockey while developing good habits for later. Cameron Coombe was much more complete than Liam Tep.

He will have to reinvent himself in higher hockey anyway because this game solely focused on dribbling will not work. Defenders will have the right to touch him and will be better able to skate backwards.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I was disgusted by the game proposed.
Seeing as you are also Francophone I will let you off the hook for this but that’s quite a harsh statement about 10/11 year old kids. “J’étais dégoûté par le jeux proposé” probably better translates to “I didn’t like the way they played” without sounding incredibly harsh on kids who shouldn’t even be talked about on this site

Reactions: wetcoast

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Seeing as you are also Francophone I will let you off the hook for this but that’s quite a harsh statement about 10/11 year old kids. “J’étais dégoûté par le jeux proposé” probably better translates to “I didn’t like the way they played” without sounding incredibly harsh on kids who shouldn’t even be talked about on this site

This is the educator I am aiming for.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
So argue.

My idea is that if players like Crosby, McDavid or Draisaitl played to have a 1000-goal career by adopting Ovechkin's one-dimensional game, they would do it without problem.
Your idea is a hypothesis that can never be tested.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Wait, are you seriously projecting out his stats at the same rate until he's 38? Lol
I can give you an assessment on the transition times at U26 : McDavid (303) is ahead of Ovechkin (301). And the gap should increase in its favor at U28. Ovechkin only scored 38 goals between 2011 and 2013. McDavid scored 64 last year.

With two seasons of 50 goals, he already has a lead of 64 goals at mid-career.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
???

Pretty sure Ovi is the only one who laced them up in a soccer game.

As for speed, were you born after 2010?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
???

Yeah, Draisaitl is German, I imagine he does have better dribbling skills than Ovi. But then again, Ovi's parents were a pro soccer player and pro basketball player, so maybe not...

Anyways, way to demonstrate you've never watched Ovi until like 2015. Prime Ovi was on a level Drai will never be, and I say that as an Oilers fan who loves Drai.

Also, you think Drai is a faster skater than Ovi was? That's absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah, Draisaitl is German, I imagine he does have better dribbling skills than Ovi. But then again, Ovi's parents were a pro soccer player and pro basketball player, so maybe not...

Anyways, way to demonstrate you've never watched Ovi until like 2015. Prime Ovi was on a level Drai will never be, and I say that as an Oilers fan who loves Drai.

Also, you think Drai is a faster skater than Ovi was? That's absolutely hilarious.

Ultra individualist player, puck eater. Draisaitl is definitely more team oriented.

The level of the Ovechkin generation(1980s born players) was indefinitely lower than the current generation and I'm not even convinced that Ovechkin was better than Datsyuk and Malkin.

(sentences taken from an RDS consultant with over 50 years of viewing) : the level has risen since the end of last decade with a faster and more technical league. A player like Patrick Kane was a rarity. It comes out every year at the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad