The Next Ones (after Bedard)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
McKenna is IMO better right now than Bedard was at the same age. Hard to say if he will become better, but it's certainly possible.

There is also a 6'4 210 lbs 16 y old goalie called Gabriel d'Aigle that played at 15-16 y old in the Q that is getting compared to Carey Price. He was drafted #2 OA in the Q, which is unprecedented for a goalie.

That would be my best bet at Bedard comparables for the near future.
McKenna, though likely first overall in 2026 and with elite and potentially franchise-level potential, is nowhere close to where bedard was in his 15 year old season. Bédard was the top scorer on canada u18 and when he left for the u18s was the top scorer in the WHL. Though McKenna’s 18pts in 16 games is certainly impressive for a December birthday in his 15 year old season, Bedard is a generational talent and was far ahead of McKenna at the same age.

Also after having watched him get shelled at the u18s and WHC-17 I don’t see the hype around d’aiguiseur

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
2 kids from Quebec to keep an eye on:

Alexis Joseph has been turning heads in Quebec for a few years - he's an 09 so there is a ways to go , he is also already 6'2 so it could be the case of early development, time will tell.

James Scantlebury is another, same age as Joseph in Quebec, these 2 just put up the best season of all time for their age in the U15 (bantam) aaa league - ahead of Xavier Parent who was basically a child prodigy at the time.

Maybe most notably of all, is the difference these kids had compared to their teammates. Joseph just put up 65 pts (43 goals) in 30 games on a team who's 2nd top scorer had 27 points. Even more ridiculous - Scantlebury had 53 pts in 30 games on a team whos 2nd top scorer had 10 points. He had 36 goals on a team where no other player had more than 4 goals...which is completely ridiculous. Both supposedly have major upside but again its far too early as we have seen in the case of Parent.

The irony of Xavier Parent is why sometimes it's too early to say too much about these things.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
The irony of Xavier Parent is why sometimes it's too early to say too much about these things.

He's still doing well though, he was over a ppg in the ECHL as a rookie and had 3+1 in 5 AHL playoff games, he could still find his way to the NHL someday. Size is still, a massive limiting factor in a physical sport like hockey. He has all the skills, but he's only about 5'7 - those guys are few and far between in the NHL, even with the league moving away from goons and obstruction.

But yeah, dominating minor hockey is far from a guarantee you will make it to the big leagues, that's for sure.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No way is Mckenna better than Bedard was at 15.

Mckenna
5g 19p in 20gp

Bedard
12g 28p in 15gp

Bedard already had an NHL shot at 15. He led his team in scoring despite missing 9 games, and was 2nd in the WHL in points per game behind only Dylan Guenther, who played 3 less games. He had more points in 15 games than 19 year old Seth Jarvis had in 24. Then he dropped 7g 14p in only 7 games at the U18's as a double under ager.

Mckenna becoming as good as Bedard is about as likely as Chicago picking Fantilli 1st overall.

If your definition of generational is so rigid that it excludes Mario Lemieux, you're using it wrong.

And if I had to take one of them in their primes, I would take Lemieux over Gretzky without a second thought.
I agreed with everything until the last sentence as Gretzky's will to win was greater and that matters at the end of the day.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Even still, the fact that Parent was getting hype as a 12 year old and still managed to make it to the AHL is impressive. Sure he didn’t turn into Wayne Gretzky, but relative to most of his peers he fared well.
Its not even out of the question he makes the NHL someday, at least for a cup of coffee,

He's 21 and has a solid ppg+ ECHL season under his belt and in his callup to the AHL he showed promise especially in the playoffs where he had 3 goals in 5 games. Obviously he isn't the next Sid like some people were saying at the Quebec Peewee tourny, but he's still likely to have a good pro career somewhere (AHL, Europe)

Reactions: bigdog16

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Even still, the fact that Parent was getting hype as a 12 year old and still managed to make it to the AHL is impressive. Sure he didn’t turn into Wayne Gretzky, but relative to most of his peers he fared well.
I don't think that he fared very well at all from the earlier hype and child prodigy tag given to him.

As for the thread the most I really look out is one or two years ahead of the current draft class and I don't see anyone at Bedard's level in that group although one might emerge.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don't think that he fared very well at all from the earlier hype and child prodigy tag given to him.

As for the thread the most I really look out is one or two years ahead of the current draft class and I don't see anyone at Bedard's level in that group although one might emerge.
He was literally 12 years old getting that hype, do you know how many players are dominant at 12 and don't ever see pro? A lot.

He could still reasonably play in the NHL and you think he "didn't fare well"?

He was the #4 pick in the Q draft, he had already fallen behind 3 other players in his own province by 15 and was no longer a prodigy, mainly due to his size which has continued to hold him back. At 5'7 its incredibly hard to make the NHL, lets see how the next few years go for him. If you expect 12 year old hype to be valid most of the time you will be disappointed. Once they are 15 its a bit more projectable, still not the most accurate but definitely more, at 12 kids are literally not even hitting puberty.

I agree though I don't see anyone on Bedard's level for the next 2-3 years as it stands, Bedard is really a once in every 7-10 year prospect historically.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was literally 12 years old getting that hype, do you know how many players are dominant at 12 and don't ever see pro? A lot.

He was the #4 pick in the Q draft, he had already fallen behind 3 other players in his own province by 15 and was no longer a prodigy, mainly due to his size which has continued to hold him back. At 5'7 its incredibly hard to make the NHL, lets see how the next few years go for him. If you expect 12 year old hype to be valid most of the time you will be disappointed. Once they are 15 its a bit more projectable, still not the most accurate but definitely more, at 12 kids are literally not even hitting puberty.

I agree though I don't see anyone on Bedard's level for the next 2-3 years as it stands, Bedard is really a once in every 7-10 year prospect historically.
I don't think that we are actually disagreeing on all that much in general here but as for Parent even as a small skilled player he should have had a better career in the Q and there was a reason he wasn't drafted as he isn't a legit NHL prospect.

Maybe he carves out a career in the AHL as a smallish high scorer but even there I doubt it.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

Not really agree.

If you take a player who stands out on a global scale like Bedard and Crosby at 12, I don't have an example of players who have failed.

Parent only dominated in Quebec among the Pee Wee. In international events, he did not dominate. And he still turned professional.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Not really agree.

If you take a player who stands out on a global scale like Bedard and Crosby at 12, I don't have an example of players who have failed.

Parent only dominated in Quebec among the Pee Wee. In international events, he did not dominate. And he still turned professional.
Not really agree.

Bedard didn’t have that much hype when he was 12, not nearly the amount Parent did.

There are a ton of players who are recgonized globally who don’t pan out. Kiviharju out of Finland was looking like one of the best prospects ever as a 12 year old. He was playing like 3 years up. He’s still a great prospect and a likely first rounder but has lost a ton of ground and hasnt improved much. Who knows where he is at in 5 years

This sort of stuff happens all the time.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
First of all you're absolutely crazy of you don't consider McDavid a generational player, he's been the best player on the world since he was 19 years old and just put up 153 points, the eye test, the numbers, and the hardware would all suggest he is one of the best players of all time and hands down the best player of the last 7 years since he entered the league.

As for bedard, it's hard to say whether or not he will accomplish what Crosby and McDavid have , but at this point he has to be considered as the best prospect, far and away, since McDavid and that is saying something. I wouldn't bet money on him becoming as good as they did , bit I also wouldn't be shocked to see it happen. I think somewhere between Kane and that level is the most likely outcome, which could very well make him the best player for a stretch of years depending on who else is in the league, how long McDavid stays Elite etc.

I would say bedard is a once in a generation prospect though, dating back to Crosby the only 2 players who would be selected ahead of him are Crosby/McDavid and no other player would really challenge him.
McDavid is like Ovechkin. One of the most individually skilled players to ever grace the the big show. Like Jagr, Bossy, Howe, Hull, Orr. I just think Gretzky, Crosby, and Lemieux are a tier above. Thats all.

I may eat crow here but I don't think Bedard is going to bring a level that any of ovechkin crosby gretzky or lemiuex brought to the league right away. Those players were all PPG players ands above first season and I don't think bedard will bring that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
McDavid is like Ovechkin. One of the most individually skilled players to ever grace the the big show. Like Jagr, Bossy, Howe, Hull, Orr. I just think Gretzky, Crosby, and Lemieux are a tier above. Thats all.

I may eat crow here but I don't think Bedard is going to bring a level that any of ovechkin crosby gretzky or lemiuex brought to the league right away. Those players were all PPG players ands above first season and I don't think bedard will bring that.
I'm not even going to derail this thread any further after this but you're saying Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe aren't in Crosby's level?

Just stop

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I'm not even going to derail this thread any further after this but you're saying Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe aren't in Crosby's level?

Just stop
No I won't stop. This is my opinion and I consider those three players exclusively as my TOP 3 players. The rest are top 4 and lower and im entitled to that educated opinion.

Good day sir.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Bedard didn’t have that much hype when he was 12, not nearly the amount Parent did.

There are a ton of players who are recgonized globally who don’t pan out. Kiviharju out of Finland was looking like one of the best prospects ever as a 12 year old. He was playing like 3 years up. He’s still a great prospect and a likely first rounder but has lost a ton of ground and hasnt improved much. Who knows where he is at in 5 years

This sort of stuff happens all the time.
There was never any hype about Parent as a generational thing.

The guy just made people talk about him on an article, got 10 messages on hfboards because he was the best scorer in QPAAA without any information on Simoneau, Lafreniere. That's all.

From the start of the following season it was over.

Bedard was already in the group of the best at the Brick Invitational, best player of the WSI at 12 years old (something that Parent did not do) but it is indeed the WSI U13 tournament which presents him as a possible generational talent.

Kiviharju never had the generational hype. Just elite talent. Still the best defender in the Class of 2024. People say he's not progressing on this site anymore because they make a connection with Raty and Lambert but they don't know about it.

They just rely on the number of points. But Kiviharju had already broken all records last year. He did a little better than last year but he obviously improved a lot playing in Liiga. He is the only one to play in a top professional league so even if he does not progress at all afterwards, he will at least have a good career in Liiga.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
There was never any hype about Parent as a generational thing.

The guy just made people talk about him on an article, got 10 messages on hfboards because he was the best scorer in QPAAA without any information on Simoneau, Lafreniere. That's all.

From the start of the following season it was over.

Bedard was already in the group of the best at the Brick Invitational, best player of the WSI at 12 years old (something that Parent did not do) but it is indeed the WSI U13 tournament which presents him as a possible generational talent.

Kiviharju never had the generational hype. Just elite talent. Still the best defender in the Class of 2024. People say he's not progressing on this site anymore because they make a connection with Raty and Lambert but they don't know about it.

They just rely on the number of points. But Kiviharju had already broken all records last year. He did a little better than last year but he obviously improved a lot playing in Liiga. He is the only one to play in a top professional league so even if he does not progress at all afterwards, he will at least have a good career in Liiga.
Go read the Kiviharju thread from the beginning and try and tell me the generational tag wasnt thrown around

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
No I won't stop. This is my opinion and I consider those three players exclusively as my TOP 3 players. The rest are top 4 and lower and im entitled to that educated opinion.

Good day sir.
Well at least we know to ignore all your opinions about players now. Talk about an outrageously uneducated opinion.

Howe and Orr are a full tier above Crosby. The gap is so insanely massive that to argue the contrary is like trying to argue for a flat earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad