OT: The Music Thread Part Six

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Scarecrow is a very underrated album.

Remember when American Fool (1982) hit major major? Whether you liked it or not (I did) "Jack & Diane" sounded different -- the way it was arranged, edited and produced -- than anything else at the time. The early 80s had some good bits going on, but a lot of it was dreck.

My favorite albums from Johnny Couger

were the zillion selling Uh-Huh (1983; Credited for the first time to "John Couger Mellencamp." He's inching away from the "Couger" foolishness, which he always hated, and moving closer to who he is as a person and artist); and, to me, his finest achievement, The Lonesome Jubilee ('87).

Checking the wiki link above, I discovered that the manager who insisted on the "Couger" stage name was... Tony DeFries.

I also had no idea that the great Steve Cropper produced Nothing Matters and What If It Did (1980).

I just learned this stuff two minutes ago.

More from both of these greats at some point soon,

:deadhorse

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Catching up on two days' worth, which is three pages worth of entries.

It was me to whom Bowie introduced himself. Sullivan Stadium. Glass Spider tour.

A great version of an earlier entry:

more ghosts:

Mellencamp absolutely belongs in the lineage of great Americana songwriters - Dylan, Springsteen, Petty, etc.

I deduced as much after our two Bowie bro's weighed in.

I envy you your encounter. As I do jgatie.

That's one bucket list item I can't check off. Until I kick the bucket myself.

And yes, John Mellencamp is a musical craftsman of the first order, and I daresay an American treasure.

PS Supposedly,

I'm sure Bob took it well.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Catching up on two days' worth, which is three pages worth of entries.

It was me to whom Bowie introduced himself. Sullivan Stadium. Glass Spider tour.

A great version of an earlier entry:

more ghosts:

Mellencamp absolutely belongs in the lineage of great Americana songwriters - Dylan, Springsteen, Petty, etc.

Great stuff. Thank you. :thumbu:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
A few reruns, sorry about that,

Joanie,

1676754577848.png

Pick up at 43:34,

1676754685118.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Genesis fan here...For those familiar with the song I thought this was an interesting version by Jeff.

My brother Michael was a Genesis fan in high school, lo many years ago. This was the Peter Gabriel fronted genesis. He was particularly fond of The Lamb lies down on Broadway.

Oddly, my friend Michael, not to be confused with my brother michael, just emailed a compilation clip from YouTube on the quote many costumes of Peter Gabriel, unquote.

I knew he was weird, but not that weird. As I said to my friend mike, I will forward to my friend mary, because it's just weird enough for her.
🎩🏒

Reactions: Blowfish

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This is probably one of my top 10. I am not a Bruce aficionado particularly. But I remember when this album came out

1984. Summer. Up on the roof on the corner of Commonwealth avenue and Mass Ave.. pretty naat. Nearly 30 years ago.

This is a great song, and I hope you guys like it too, even if it brings a tear to the eye.

She was a fine girl.

And though I understand you aficionados realize this was Bruce's goodbye two little steven. Who actually played on the track, that's pretty special too,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad