OT: The Music Thread: Part IX

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Since we're on the topic of modern Artists/Musicians post 1995, here are a bunch more that I really like, just off the top of my head:

The Black Keys
Queens of the Stone Age
pretty much anything Nathaniel Rateliff does..
Kings of Leon
Jason Isbell
Chris Stapleton
Chris "Kingfish" Ingram

I'm sure there's a ton more.....Just haven't the time to think it through.

LOL. My dad was a HUGE Lou Rawls fan. He wore that guy's records out when I was a kid....
Never heard of any of those, other than Chris Stapleton, just saying. And isn't Chris Stapleton country?

Foo Fighters are good ... I didn't think of them and thought they were around longer.

As far as your taste in music being different then mine, I have no problem with that.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Never heard of any of those, other than Chris Stapleton, just saying. And isn't Chris Stapleton country?

The Black Keys and Queens of the Stone Age are pretty mainstream. Both have had multiple Gold and Platinum albums that charted in the top 10 in the US.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
That's why this thread is so good. You get exposed to stuff you might not have otherwise known about! For me, those are my favorite posts. I like the unique stuff that I didn't know existed. Sure, you have to go through a couple of duds, every once in a while. But you also find some really great stuff. Its the music equivalent of going to a flea market....

Chris Stapleton spans multiple genre's from Bluegrass to Rock n Roll. He's a very underrated musician as well..

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
That's why this thread is so good. You get exposed to stuff you might not have otherwise known about! For me, those are my favorite posts. I like the unique stuff that I didn't know existed. Sure, you have to go through a couple of duds, every once in a while. But you also find some really great stuff. Its the music equivalent of going to a flea market....

Chris Stapleton spans multiple genre's from Bluegrass to Rock n Roll. He's a very underrated musician as well..

I'm not disagreeing about the exposure to various artists in this thread. It's good.

My kids, all born between 1996 and 2001 all prefer to listen to classic rock. Their opinion very few good - great bands these days.

My post was more geared toward those who grew up listening to what is now called 'classic rock'. Those born befor 1975, 80 at the latest.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
I'll agree with that sentiment. As for newer rock and roll, Greta Van Fleet, while derivative, are certainly a rock and roll band that could transport back to 1972 and not miss a beat.
They went back further to 1969 for this one but they didn't have Sandy Denny like Fairport. But they do know their forefathers.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
For those looking for a rock band to get into that's more contemporary, Glass Animals is a good band to get into. Their album How to Be A Human Being from 2016 is a trippy and enjoyable indie rock album that incorporates so many other genres like R&B and Hip Hop so effortlessly and adds a lot to the music. Their hit single "Youth" is a banger, but so are songs like "Life Itself" and the second look gems of "Mama's Gun" and "The Other Side of Paradise."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
A manager at work still likes Mötley Crüe. I never did.

They blow, IMHO. I enjoyed The Dirt.

In late 1984, Finnish hard rock band Hanoi Rocks was on their second American tour and their first to reach California. The two gigs meant to be held in Los Angeles sold out in only twenty minutes. On the day they arrived in Los Angeles, December 8, Hanoi Rocks drummer Nicholas "Razzle" Dingley and the other members of the band (with the exception of singer Michael Monroe, who was recovering from a fractured ankle) visited Neil's home and spent the day in Redondo Beach. After partying for hours, Neil and Razzle decided to visit a local liquor store in Neil's De Tomaso Pantera. Neil, who was drunk, lost control of the car and hit an oncoming vehicle. The two occupants of the other car were seriously injured and suffered brain damage,[51] and Dingley was killed. Neil was charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence of alcohol in connection with the crash.

His blood alcohol content was 0.17, well above the California legal limit at that time of 0.10.[52] In September 1985, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Edward Hinz Jr. sentenced Neil to 30 days in jail and five years' probation. Neil was ordered to pay $2.6 million in restitution to the victims of the crash and undertake 200 hours of community service.[53][54] Neil was paroled after serving 15 days in jail for good behavior; Mötley Crüe dedicated their third studio album, Theatre of Pain, to Razzle.[55]

Co-Pilot says,

Axl was a major fan,

Michael Monroe,

Last edited:
Reactions: EvilDead

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1720839711045.png

☘️

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
At work we were talking about first concerts.
Mine was Gregg Allman at Uncle Sam's Nantasket Beach, in '83 I believe.

View attachment 894468

But in reality it was Lou Rawls at the Music Circus :)

I saw Gregg (without the brothers) at Hampton Beach many years ago. He was good. I saw the Allman Brothers a bunch of times

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Just for fun :
Agree or disagree?

I grew up on Beatles and other classic rock. But their are no true (classic style) rock artists today - where are the new Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd, Aerosmith, Petty, U2, Dire Straits (so many others). True rock genre stopped birthing new artists/bands some time in the late 80's - '90s. I stopped listening to the radio (modern) rock around 2000. I have my own collection of music that I would listen to. Around 2015 I found a local radio station that played a mix of classic rock and 'new' country rock, I found the country music they were playing to be the rock that I was missing ... the rock style of my youth.
People may call me crazy and can disagree but the rock music many of us grew up on is no longer coming out of Britain/Europe. Now I'm not talking twangy country; (for me) there is a new breed of US country rock artists that are writing and playing rock n roll of the style we grew up on. It's home grown rock n roll ... being played in what has been classified as 'country' / country rock.

Can someone name the top ten rock n roll bands (new bands that came out since 1995) of today? Top 5? Even 1 that is a household name?
Five Finger Death Punch?
Nickelback?
I'm finding it hard to think of anyone that will have the same impact as the bands of my youth.
There's just not much out there.
It's sad to say but even if rock, as we once knew it, isn"t dead; it is terminally ill.

"Rock" is dead. And has been since at least the mid-90s. For me, it's been case over since the 80s.

Rap and the Internet are the rock n' roll of today. Throw in Beyonce, Taylor Swift (whom I used to like) and the flavor of the month, and there you have it. I have no interest in any of these contemporary dopes.

At the same time, I have no use for "classic rock," either. It's fine, and I grew up on it too, but having heard "Stairway to Heaven" a thousand times plus, I think I'm set.

The same can be said of the stuff I post here. I don't listen to it on a regular basis. It's just music that I loved, still love, listen to on occasion and send along to you guys.

Obviously, I'm a Bowie freak, which may be tedious for some. Sorry about that.

My first love was the three minute, melody rich pop song. It's in the running for my last love, too.

If you don't dig it, no harm, no foul. We all like what we like, and dislike what we dislike. Vanilla and chocolate.

I listen to what I listen to, though much less these days. I haven't listened to the radio (or NPR, or sports radio) in 20 years.

I don't care.

I don't care who the hot new commodity, or artist, is. I haven't bothered with the charts in decades. In an atomized, fractured media culture, it's all white noise.

Garbage. Sorry.

Actually, I prefer classical music these days.

In the event, keep posting your fave raves and bits you want to share. That's what this thread is about.

Take care and enjoy your day,

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Rock" is dead.Obviously, I'm a Bowie freak, which may be tedious for some. Sorry about that.
My first love was the three minute, melody rich pop song. It's in the running for my last love, too.
If you don't dig it, no harm, no foul. We all like what we like, and dislike what we dislike. Vanilla and chocolate.I listen to what I listen to, though much less these days. I haven't listened to the radio (or NPR, or sports radio) in 20 years.I don't care.I don't care who the hot new commodity, or artist, is. I haven't bothered with the charts in decades. In an atomized, fractured media culture, it's all white noise.
Garbage. Sorry.

Actually, I prefer classical music these days.

In the event, keep posting your fave raves and bits you want to share. That's what this thread is about.

Take care and enjoy your day,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Now, time is short and I must to bed.

Hence, odds & sods of less than legendary talent, but oh those gems,

Voila!

Attachments

• 1720928773148.png
    1720928773148.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Have you ever listened to Jabbering Trout?

Neither have I, yet they're apparently still around after 30 plus years.

When I was in seventh grade, I believed "Wizard" was a cool name for the band my pals and I never formed. "Crusade" was another suggestion. Not mine.

Two other band names could work: In homage to McCartney, who likes his cute bits, Percy Thrillington And The Coat Hangers.

Better still, the kind sobriquet bestowed by Hari Krishna's upon clueless American airport travelers, Meat Eating Demons.

As noted elsewhere, I just flew in from Redando and boy are my arms tired.

I'll be at Giggles and The Comedy Store 15-16 July. Drop in and say hello.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad