OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bloomberg Radio will move in Boston to Beasley Media Group’s 92.9 WBOS-FM Brookline MA starting at 12pm on Tuesday, September 3.

The current Classic Rock “Rock 92.9” programming including the syndicated Dave & Chuck The Freak morning show will move to 1330 WRCA Watertown/106.1 W291CZ Boston and WBOS-HD2. Those stations have carried Bloomberg programming since July 2017.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I bet some here remember this great band. I saw them once at either the wobbly barn or the pickle barrel in killington (sherburne) long time ago lol

I bet some here remember this great band. I saw them once at either the wobbly barn or the pickle barrel in killington (sherburne) long time ago lol

I saw them at the Pickle 🥒 Pen.

This was, I believe, either in Montana or in Dubai. Great group of guys. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Raleighfern

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1724293247837.png

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
As most here likely know, "Eight Miles High" was rising on the charts when it was essentially banned by American radio.

At least that's the story everyone has heard. A countervailing argument is that, more likely, the song's experimental and less than commercial sound was to blame.

Note the trippy bass, the influence of Coltrane (McGuinn), and Clark's proto psychedelic lyrics, all blending perfectly with those trademark choirboy harmonies.

One of the greatest pop songs ever recorded and a striking snapshot of a musical and cultural moment in time,

That's all well and good. But in my humble opinion, this version kicks the shit out the Byrds' version......Best when played at maximum volume.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
They played in Maine quite often. This was all over the airwaves at that time, these guys were from were from Lewiston, ME. reached #57 on Cashbox charts.

Lewiston Me had a Byrd connection as well

Played in Mayberry with his Brother

8 Milles Clarence

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
That's all well and good. But in my humble opinion, this version kicks the shit out the Byrds' version......Best when played at maximum volume.

I'm a Bob Mould fan, though I was not into Husker Du at the time. For example, I had no idea they covered this song.

I'll give it a listen, and I would like to find the original recording that Columbia refused to release because it was recorded at an RCA studio. Apparently, Crosby and McGuinn preferred that version to the one eventually released.

In the event, however sublime HD's cover is, I'll stick with the original single.

This wasn't jam band stuff or over the top psychedelia. This was, again, a particular cultural moment captured in a 3 minute pop song.

That ain't easy to do.

In a very different way, the Byrds reflected the changing times with 1965's "Turn Turn Turn." Yes, it's a pop song, but you can hear the beginnings of discontent with Vietnam, racial tensions, and a growing youth movement and what used to be called "the generation gap."

In their typically gorgeous harmonies and employment of wisdom from the Bible, you can also hear a plaintive lament, a desire for peace and unity.

It's all there.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
LOVE the band and this cover. Bob Mould should always be played at maximum volume!!
Yeah. I read somewhere that while they were recording their masterpiece Zen Arcade, they always played 8 Miles High as a warmup before recording. Must've worked because they nailed 23 of the 25 songs on Zen Arcade on the first take.

The studio version of it eventually got released on an EP, along with this beauty of a cover...

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
For me, there are a bunch of guitar players who you can identify easily just by listening to them play. Either by how they have their guitar tuned, or by their style. Some of them, off the top of my head...

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Hendrix
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
The Edge
David Gilmour
Jerry Garcia
Add Tony Iommi to this list as well as Slash.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm a Bob Mould fan, though I was not into Husker Du at the time. For example, I had no idea they covered this song.I'll give it a listen, and I would like to find the original recording that Columbia refused to release because it was recorded at an RCA studio. Apparently, Crosby and McGuinn preferred that version to the one eventually released.In the event, however sublime HD's cover is, I'll stick with the original single.This wasn't jam band stuff or over the top psychedelia. This was, again, a particular cultural moment captured in a 3 minute pop song.
That ain't easy to do.In a very different way, the Byrds reflected the changing times with 1965's "Turn Turn Turn." Yes, it's a pop song, but you can hear the beginnings of discontent with Vietnam, racial tensions, and a growing youth movement and what used to be called "the generation gap."

In their typically gorgeous harmonies and employment of wisdom from the Bible, you can also hear a plaintive lament, a desire for peace and unity.

It's all there.

Turn, Turn, Turn was actually a Pete Seeger song, written in 1959. It was a folk song turned into pop by The Byrds.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Bloomberg Radio will move in Boston to Beasley Media Group’s 92.9 WBOS-FM Brookline MA starting at 12pm on Tuesday, September 3.

The current Classic Rock “Rock 92.9” programming including the syndicated Dave & Chuck The Freak morning show will move to 1330 WRCA Watertown/106.1 W291CZ Boston and WBOS-HD2. Those stations have carried Bloomberg programming since July 2017.
Yuck.

Reactions: GatorMike

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Separately, we did both Husker Du and Warren Zevon shows back in the UMass concert production days. Husker Du was the second loudest show I’ve ever been to, with Motörhead easily the loudest. Zevon was an eccentric guy - was in a “grey phase,” when everything he wore was grey. His bus driver told us he’d make him stop at shopping malls to go buy new grey socks regularly.

His Hindu Love Gods album, with Pete Buck, Bill Berry and Mike Mills from REM, is tremendous.

I also once saw Bob Mould and the Feelies together at Maxwell’s in Hoboken on New Year’s Eve. Incredible show.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Separately, we did both Husker Du and Warren Zevon shows back in the UMass concert production days. Husker Du was the second loudest show I’ve ever been to, with Motörhead easily the loudest. Zevon was an eccentric guy - was in a “grey phase,” when everything he wore was grey. His bus driver told us he’d make him stop at shopping malls to go buy new grey socks regularly.

Saw Motörhead at The Channel in the late 80's. The only concert where I was seriously worried about losing my hearing. I was partially deaf for at least 3 days afterword. It was also the show for which The Boston Phoenix wrote the single greatest one line review I've ever read:

"Motorhead. Drano for the soul."

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Saw Motörhead at The Channel in the late 80's. The only concert where I was seriously worried about losing my hearing. I was partially deaf for at least 3 days afterword. It was also the show for which The Boston Phoenix wrote the single greatest one line review I've ever read:

"Motorhead. Drano for the soul."
I started wearing ear plugs at almost all shows immediately after Pete Townhend’s tinnitus diagnosis, so I mercifully avoided that fate when I saw Motörhead. But it was still louder than everyone else, which was part of their slogan, after all.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Impossible to say who the greatest anything is, much easier to say who has had a great influence

Mick Ronson became a very major influence for Randy, both in technique and image," friend and bandmate Kelly Garni told Guitar World. "Look at Mick Ronson on a live Bowie video and it's scary how much Randy resembled him."

Randy mentioned some players that he admired, like Michael Schenker, Gary Moore, and Leslie West. Who else did he talk about?

“Mick Ronson. If you listen to the end of You Can’t Kill Rock and Roll, it’s basically an homage to Mick Ronson’s playing on the Bowie tune Moonage Daydream.”

Hangin' with Lou and David

Truth is he was the best I ever saw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad