OT: The Movie/TV/Streaming Thread

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just saw it. Agreed, it was very good. I actually think my favorite part was the opening hour with the actress who played the younger Furiosa, even if it was less car+action heavy. It was very lean and well paced. Also, Hemsworth was damned good.

What a sin we won’t get Mad Max: The Wasteland. It’s already scripted. Thank you, audience. But Fast XI here we come.

I actually agree that the first hour with child Furiosa was more compelling.

However, the 2nd half did have Jack the Praetorian and he was a great addition. The scene with Furiosa & Jack at the Bullet Farm was top notch.

I still cannot understand the Box Office, but hopefully it reaches audiences en masse once its hits streaming. Im glad you did your part and saw it in theater!

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
anyone know of any D-Day moves that tell stories of the other beach landings?

Technically Band of Brothers counts, but I'm sure you've seen that.

Overlord (the one from the 70s). I'm not sure how to explain this one without spoilers. This follows one British soldier's life up to the invasion. Decidedly not uplifting.

The Longest Day gives you the build up on both sides of the conflict. This is the most focused on D-Day of your major options.

And then there's The Big Red One. I've only seen the extended cut on that one, so I'm not positive D-Day even makes it into the theatrical release.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Got around to watching The Bear. Stellar, but I think I'm actually getting more from the ensemble stuff than the leads. 3 S2 episodes are now among my favorites of all time.
Fishes and Forks is one of the most solid 1-2 punch of episodes in recent memory. You've got an extremely chaotic, stressful, and nerve-wracking hours of television followed up by a much needed feel good, cathartic, heartwarming redemption of an extremely aggravating character. Masterful stuff.

Then the finale. I never thought I'd tear up at a chocolate covered banana, but here we are.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Technically Band of Brothers counts, but I'm sure you've seen that.

Overlord (the one from the 70s). I'm not sure how to explain this one without spoilers. This follows one British soldier's life up to the invasion. Decidedly not uplifting.

The Longest Day gives you the build up on both sides of the conflict. This is the most focused on D-Day of your major options.

And then there's The Big Red One. I've only seen the extended cut on that one, so I'm not positive D-Day even makes it into the theatrical release.
Yeah got Longest Day and Big Red One lined up...just was wondering if there were movies about other beaches besides Omaha

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Fishes and Forks is one of the most solid 1-2 punch of episodes in recent memory. You've got an extremely chaotic, stressful, and nerve-wracking hours of television followed up by a much needed feel good, cathartic, heartwarming redemption of an extremely aggravating character. Masterful stuff.

Then the finale. I never thought I'd tear up at a chocolate covered banana, but here we are.
Yep, those 2 episodes are so insanely well-written, directed, cast, acted, edited, etc. The banana is such a wonderful little grace note, and those are scattered everywhere in S2. Tina gets that moment in the spotlight highlighting how she's accomplishing things she never even dreamed possible, Ebraheim not being cut out for the same but finding his place at the end, Pete's heartbreaking dilemma / sacrifice / burden showing he's more than just the butt of the joke, Marcus having this almost fantastical experience and then suddenly coming to the aid of a stranger. I'd happily watch a show of Marcus just roaming around Copenhagen learning how to be a badass pastry chef. Hell, I just want to go back to Copenhagen now.

• Love
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
anyone know of any D-Day moves that tell stories of the other beach landings?

Not D-Day landings but your question got me thinking about a few other WW2 movies I really enjoyed from a different perspective.

Persian Lessons - A young Jewish man in a concentration camp has his life saved when executioners realize he owns a Persian book. Brought before a camp officer who wants to learn Farsi, Gilles agrees to teach him despite not knowing a word of the language.

Der Untergang (The Downfall) - Basically a retelling of Hitler’s last days as told by his last secretary. Excellent film.

Reactions: trostol

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Not D-Day landings but your question got me thinking about a few other WW2 movies I really enjoyed from a different perspective.

Persian Lessons - A young Jewish man in a concentration camp has his life saved when executioners realize he owns a Persian book. Brought before a camp officer who wants to learn Farsi, Gilles agrees to teach him despite not knowing a word of the language.

Der Untergang (The Downfall) - Basically a retelling of Hitler’s last days as told by his last secretary. Excellent film.
that indeed was a very very good movie...and spawned so many meme videos lol

Reactions: flyersnorth

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yep, those 2 episodes are so insanely well-written, directed, cast, acted, edited, etc. The banana is such a wonderful little grace note, and those are scattered everywhere in S2. Tina gets that moment in the spotlight highlighting how she's accomplishing things she never even dreamed possible, Ebraheim not being cut out for the same but finding his place at the end, Pete's heartbreaking dilemma / sacrifice / burden showing he's more than just the butt of the joke, Marcus having this almost fantastical experience and then suddenly coming to the aid of a stranger. I'd happily watch a show of Marcus just roaming around Copenhagen learning how to be a badass pastry chef. Hell, I just want to go back to Copenhagen now.
Yes! There are so many little character arcs and callbacks. Like Tina and the knife, or Tina and the whole "Jeff" thing. It started off totally sarcastic and shitty but slowly became such a term of endearment.

The Marcus episode made me want to visit Copenhagen and just bike around lol. I've never been but it seems like such a gorgeous city.

• Love
Reactions: mja

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Yes! There are so many little character arcs and callbacks. Like Tina and the knife, or Tina and the whole "Jeff" thing. It started off totally sarcastic and shitty but slowly became such a term of endearment.

The Marcus episode made me want to visit Copenhagen and just bike around lol. I've never been but it seems like such a gorgeous city.
Season 2 is so good, so much better than season 1. Only a few more weeks until season 3!

On that note, has anyone here watched Tires?

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Finished Masters of the Air last night. It wasn't bad, you miss the intensity of Pacific/Band of Brothers where you see the enemy you are killing as it is set in the sky obviously. You don't really see a lot of the enemy and the battle. So its harder to really identify the struggle and importance of each character.

Just couldn't connect with it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Good news for some

I haven't seen this show in so long

Unfortunately, it will be on Peacock most likely

House of the Dragon episode one was well done. Watched it the 2nd time since I was too tired and sleepy on Sunday night. The main actors are just all exceptional. Nice job casting them all.

Only thing I didn't find great was final scene

Personally, the actress playing Queen should have been played with emotion as she runs with her daughter into room while Alicent's was riding Criston

I didn't like delivery of final line

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Shit. I've liked a lot of the stuff A24 has done, but who in the hell thought $85million on a Friday the 13th PREQUEL SERIES was a good idea?

The series was intended to have eight episodes per season, budgeted at around $85 million for the entire season, but one source indicated A24 wanted to cut that in half.

A24 is apparently still committed to making the show, although it’s unclear if the studio will use the original Fuller scripts or start from scratch.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Good news for some

I haven't seen this show in so long

Unfortunately, it will be on Peacock most likely

Only thing I didn't find great was final scene

Personally, the actress playing Queen should have been played with emotion as she runs with her daughter into room while Alicent's was riding Criston

I didn't like delivery of final line

I think it was a passable scene...she was more in horrified shock than distraught hysterics. Seemed she cared more about the daughter keeping in line with the more feminist theme of the series. It is why she was scared but relieved to get out of dodge after fingering the son for brutal execution. The sound of the sawing off of the head was pretty graphic....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Shit. I've liked a lot of the stuff A24 has done, but who in the hell thought $85million on a Friday the 13th PREQUEL SERIES was a good idea?

The series was intended to have eight episodes per season, budgeted at around $85 million for the entire season, but one source indicated A24 wanted to cut that in half.

A24 is apparently still committed to making the show, although it’s unclear if the studio will use the original Fuller scripts or start from scratch.

For $85M you could have sorted out rights situation for FT13 and made 3-4 films

Seriously

Honestly rather see them do another Friday the 13th: The Series or reboot series/continuation but this time give it back its original name "Curious Goods"

Hell I am sure John LeMay would be open since he has embraced his role now years after show went off air and he does fan circuits. Robey lives in France and seems long retired from acting though

Actor who played Jack is dead sadly

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad