OT: The Movie/TV/Streaming Thread

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. Had some corny moments, but overall probably had the most reasons to get emotionally pulled in since Empire. There were real stakes involved. I wish HBO/Max had picked up those rights instead of Disney. The results have been so sadly predictable.

Andor was good too, though.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. Had some corny moments, but overall probably had the most reasons to get emotionally pulled in since Empire. There were real stakes involved. I wish HBO/Max had picked up those rights instead of Disney. The results have been so sadly predictable.

Andor was good too, though.
I need to watch Andor again. That was some good shit. I was wayyyy too invested in them building the whatever it was during the prison episode.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Please note that I said “good”, not great or amazing or anything like that. Watchable and enjoyable, even if flawed.

Obi-wan was a movie that they stretched into a TV show, which explains a lot of the “downs”. But I really liked the “ups”. The Mandalorian has been mostly good, although the most recent season definitely wasn’t as good as the previous two.

Meanwhile, I haven’t enjoyed a single one of the movies, even Rogue One. It was probably the least shit of the movies but I’m not praising it much more than that when there wasn’t a single memorable or likable character in the bunch.

You and I are going to have to sit down and have a long, long talk. "Obi Wan" was f***ing execrable. Probably the worst of all the series.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Weekends like this that my WHYY membership is paying off. Ken Burns Docs on rotation

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Civil War was mid

Hardest of disagrees, cuh. I saw it in Dolby at the theater, and I’m glad I did. ‘Twas an intense watch.

Godzilla Minus One is on Netflix for you heathens who missed it in theaters.

b193ac0d38707b61f4b5662edf6c7f66.gif

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Whole thing was corny, bbgurl. I'm sorry.

Corny! Ideologically evasive is a criticism. Which I don’t necessarily agree with because it wouldn’t have worked otherwise. But corny is an out of left field word for an intelligent thriller. It would be like calling Fast X “esoteric.”

• Haha
Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Corny! Ideologically evasive is a criticism. Which I don’t necessarily agree with because it wouldn’t have worked otherwise. But corny is an out of left field word for an intelligent thriller. It would be like calling Fast X “esoteric.”
What was so good about it?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What was so good about it?

I think Alex Garland is one of the better genre writer/directors out there. Kirsten Dunst killed it. The sound design, soundtrack, and set pieces hit hard (some of the loudest gunshots I've ever heard in a theater). It was almost like a journalistic Apocalypse Now; the point being to leave you drained and unmoored as it got darker and darker. Who is fighting who in most of the scenes? Who knows? That unsettled ambiguity worked to create an atmosphere of constant dread. I enjoyed how apolitical and non-preachy it was, depriving you of easy answers and making many questions irrelevant. The violence without a moral high ground is sort of its central point. And I thought the ending stuck the landing big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad