HF Habs: The Martin Saint-Louis thread: Winning Streak Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Man on Man has to go and everyone should know it. Carbonneau brings it up all the time.
The structure of our PK also has to change teams are feasting down low and the points are left wide open.
I'm not even sure how that is possible usually teams can cover one or the other at the very least.

Our in game strategies also have to get better.
The Devils iced the puck with 18 seconds left in the second period.
We send out Suzuki on his strong side but then use Kovacevic directly behind him with Xhekaj as the shooter.
Sure enough Suzuki wins the draw but Kovacevic is unable to make a play.
I have no issues with Arber Xhekaj being the shooter and I'm hoping we have set plays to get him the puck.
But seriously does anyone here think Kovacevic is the player to make that pass?

Half Assed strategy that makes no sense whatsoever.
Carbonneau was one of the worst coaches we ever had.

Reactions: 70Stang and BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny how the last coach was able to get more out of those guys
They were three or four years younger and on better teams. Do you guys not understand this?

I mean we put Guehle on the first line and then say he’s regressing? No he’s not. He has harder assignments and he’s improving as he goes. He’s getting awesome experience that’s going to help him down the road. Development is not a straight line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Scotty Bowman in his prime couldn't make this a winning team. The roster is half AHLers and very little star power, particularly on D where the young guns are still developing. Goaltending has also been a challenge. You could put prime Carey Price in net and we would still be bottom 5. The Habs cough up too many prime scoring chances that kill the goaltenders confidence.

But that's not what people are talking about, couldn't careless about winning at this point, my beef is with the constance no structure in our own end that is killing our young D's progression, you also need to be able to play defense to win hockey games last time i checked, and it's been like that for the last 2 seasons and we see no adjustment at all

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Funny how the last coach was able to get more out of those guys
Is it?

Do you think Gallagher would be better with a change of scenery? I hope KH can find a GM that shares your assessment lol

I'm sure even MB wouldn't touch that contract with a ten foot pole!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
While I don't expect MSL to say otherwise, this "we deserve better" was certainly not the case early on in the season where we were hanging on for dear life until we got to OT. I can't properly evaluate MSL yet. The guys seem to like him which is great, but there are still tons of question marks. He's obviously better than Ducharme, but I also feel like Ducharme had a worse team than MSL (most notably Monty playing way better and the defense overhaul to help the transition). The fact that we rarely adjust accordingly throughout the game, don't play a complete 60 minutes, and don't have much of a structure is not great, but until we are healthier and have better players to compete for the playoffs I can't say he's good or bad as a coach for a Stanley Cup contender. He's great for right now to make the young guys want to have fun when playing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So one of the best defensive players ever isn't able to make his educated assessment.
Not everyone is suited for coaching but he knows what he is talking about.
Marty's players look lost the minute a breakdown occurs Man on Man turns to someone covering air real quick.
He can say whatever he wants. But he was a terrible coach himself. So if he’s going to rip other coaches it makes sense for us to look at his record.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Carbonneau was one of the worst coaches we ever had.
True, but he was one of the best PK players we ever had...................he knows the PK sucks, and why......we all know the PK sucks, and why, and yet MSL changes? Nothing.......it's been like this for the past two years.
I love MSL as a head coach, but we need an Alternate Coach who knows the x's and o's of the game better than Marty.

Man on man in our end, is a pure joke, it doesn't work with this group, maybe it did back in 2007 when the Bolts won the Cup with their roster, but it doesn't right now with our club............and yet, no changes.........Why?
Why doesn't the media ask these questions?? We are almost last in the league in GAA and we are last in the league in PK?
This..............is on the coaches?

He can say whatever he wants. But he was a terrible coach himself. So if he’s going to rip other coaches it makes sense for us to look at his record.
Poor communicator, and a arrogant SOB................but he is noticing things we have noticed, so.........he should at least have an HF account.

Reactions: Theodore450

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

For the record, he didn't rip him at all, he was ask a question and he answerd in fact he did it the gentliest way possible

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
True, but he was one of the best PK players we ever had...................he knows the PK sucks, and why......we all know the PK sucks, and why, and yet MSL changes? Nothing.......it's been like this for the past two years.
I love MSL as a head coach, but we need an Alternate Coach who knows the x's and o's of the game better than Marty.

Man on man in our end, is a pure joke, it doesn't work with this group, maybe it did back in 2007 when the Bolts won the Cup with their roster, but it doesn't right now with our club............and yet, no changes.........Why?
Why doesn't the media ask these questions?? We are almost last in the league in GAA and we are last in the league in PK?
This..............is on the coaches?
I love Carbonneau the player. But if you’re going to appeal to him as an authority figure in an argument you can’t ignore his terrible record as a coach.

If you don’t like MSL’s system, that’s cool. Say so. But I don’t think Carbo should be taken as authority in this case.

And I’ve got to be honest with you - there’s only one system that would really improve our record: the trap. And that’s the last thing I’d want our team learning.

It’s a shitty roster. It is what it is. MSL is trying to develop players more so than he’s trying to win games. That should be easy enough for people to see.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What’s coach Lefebrve doing these days? Probably running a powerhouse development program.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I love Carbonneau the player. But if you’re going to appeal to him as an authority figure in an argument you can’t ignore his terrible record as a coach.

If you don’t like MSL’s system, that’s cool. Say so. But I don’t think Carbo should be taken as authority in this case.

And I’ve got to be honest with you - there’s only one system that would really improve our record: the trap. And that’s the last thing I’d want our team learning.

It’s a shitty roster. It is what it is. MSL is trying to develop players more so than he’s trying to win games. That should be easy enough for people to see.
I don't like the man to man...............and I hate the passive box on the PK.
These systems have failed.................it's not a shitty roster, it's kids who are developing fine, and a bunch of vets who are underperforming.................and we are getting picks as a result. Said vets can't play any better in our zone because the system sucks....when we do finally get out of our zone, we throw it in ahd change, giving the puck back.....

That doesn't mean, they should keep doing the same crap over and over...................that's on the coaches. Change it up, our coaches have to also be responsible for developing as the team develops.......they too are new at this level and making mistakes....

It's coming, you can feel it by watching different french speaking hockey show
He should be held accountable too, but they also all need to realize this is a process of developing kids, and getting rid of Bergevin's junk.
The coaches can teach a system that works better.......................we a tire fire in our own end, 5vs 5 and the PK is Brutal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't like the man to man...............and I hate the passive box on the PK.
These systems have failed.................it's not a shitty roster, it's kids who are developing fine, and a bunch of vets who are underperforming.................and we are getting picks as a result. Said vets can't play any better in our zone because the system sucks....when we do finally get out of our zone, we throw it in ahd change, giving the puck back.....

That doesn't mean, they should keep doing the same crap over and over...................that's on the coaches. Change it up, our coaches have to also be responsible for developing as the team develops.......they too are new at this level and making mistakes....

He should be held accountable too, but they also all need to realize this is a process of developing kids, and getting rid of Bergevin's junk.
The coaches can teach a system that works better.......................we a tire fire in our own end, 5vs 5 and the PK is Brutal.
Well, the trap would work.

Want that?

Reactions: cphabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well, the trap would work.

Want that?
Are you really telling me, you are ok with our current style of play in our own end?
Of course not.................
No we don't want the trap either.
Again, fan of MSL, but not his current tactical decisions.......it's pretty easy to fix, stop playing man to man in our end 5 on 5 so that they stop chasing everything, it's not working.....and we don't have Price to save the day..............

The PK, even more simple, stop being so stupid and passive, and having such a small box on the PK and start putting pressure on the guy with the puck.......................this is exactly what gets done, with most teams who atop the best PK teams. And once again we don't have Price to save the day here either.

If something does not work, do you change what you are doing? Or keep doing the same thing, and bang your head on the wall, and wonder why you have a headache?

This is up to the coaching staff to figure out.................and they should be called out for doing absolutely nothing to change it.

Carbo was not a good head coach, heck he seems like a bigger dick in person, but he knows what he was doing as a player............and even as an Asst Coach.

Reactions: Vachon23

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Are you really telling me, you are ok with our current style of play in our own end?
Of course not.................
No we don't want the trap either.
Again, fan of MSL, but not his current tactical decisions.......it's pretty easy to fix, stop playing man to man in our end 5 on 5 so that they stop chasing everything, it's not working.....and we don't have Price to save the day..............

The PK, even more simple, stop being so stupid and passive, and having such a small box on the PK and start putting pressure on the guy with the puck.......................this is exactly what gets done, with most teams who atop the best PK teams. And once again we don't have Price to save the day here either.

If something does not work, do you change what you are doing? Or keep doing the same thing, and bang your head on the wall, and wonder why you have a headache?

This is up to the coaching staff to figure out.................and they should be called out for doing absolutely nothing to change it.

Carbo was not a good head coach, heck he seems like a bigger dick in person, but he knows what he was doing as a player............and even as an Asst Coach.
I’m asking you what you think should be done differently.

You have made it abundantly clear you hate the system. Okay… what do you think we should do?

In my opinion it won’t make a difference what system we have. We are too young and inexperienced. We have one real center… the only system that I really think would make a real difference is the trap. And I’d hate to see that employed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad