The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I've been wanting Benning gone since around the Sbisa extension, if not earlier. It is hard to recall the timeline of all his epic cock ups.

He isn't particularly smart or savvy and has dug the Canucks into a near inescapable hole that the next GM is going to have a hell of a time trying to crawl out of. Folks talking about the bright future the Canucks have are seriously deluded about what exactly is going on.

Oh, and I can't imagine ownership patience is going to be all that high with the new GM, either, so add the pressure of becoming a playoff contender sooner rather than later to the list of shit the new GM has to worry about.

He lost me after he lost out on Hamhuis. Not trading him is one thing if you were gonna extend him. But god damn, I remember the excuses now, he also ran out of time then.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I mean, do I "like" this post?

The shilling for Benning is one of the big reasons casual fans have supported this regime for a half decade past it's due date and kept this management group around for that time. Much of that shilling permeates HFCanucks.

I love it, dealing with the trolling and shilling that defend this indefensible regime. Without it, I would probably just turn to dust and get blown away.

tenor.gif

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We're going to be forced into trading Miller and Horvat to kickstart the next rebuild.

We already were, as soon as we signed Sutter/Loui/Beagle/Roussel/Myers and traded away a lottery pick for Miller.

How does it go? Denial, anger, grief, something something, understanding?

People are still going through the stages, but it's already done.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I was already anti benning by the time 2015 draft rolled around.

when I found out He tried to package our 1st at the draft for Lucic that was the moment I knew we were completely f***ed For years to come. He’s never had a vision or plan and that really cemented itself over the following years. Like why the hell are you Trying to trade for Lucic At that point when you had an aging roster. Why are you perusing Lucic at that point when you’re top center is an aging hank and you’re top defenseman is Edler who was entering his early 30s.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
melodrama much? yeah the team sucks but it is absolutely not in a rebuild position lmao. 3-4 savvy moves and we are back making deep runs into the playoffs.

I wouldn't straight up say rebuild but we're definitely more than "3-4 savvy moves" from playoffs...

Reactions: ekimbo

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
melodrama much? yeah the team sucks but it is absolutely not in a rebuild position lmao. 3-4 savvy moves and we are back making deep runs into the playoffs.

If we make 4 of the biggest steal trades, sure. But we essentially need to turn over 2/3rds of this roster in a hurry and will be completely blocked by the sheer number of inefficient contracts on this roster.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I wouldn't straight up say rebuild but we're definitely more than "3-4 savvy moves" from playoffs...

Sure they are...if 2 of those moves are top 4 d-men and the other two an excellent third line center and good top 9 winger.

Thing is you can get maybe 1 or 2 of those through savvy moves over a couple seasons. The others need to come from within.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
That entire stretch starting in the 2016 offseason to the following year was a total disaster and I am not sure how anyone could have supported Benning after that.
  • Having the Boeser pick ready to go in a deal for Lucic only for LA to outbid the Canucks
  • Trading Lack for scraps and keeping Miller even though allegedly there was a high pick on the table
  • Trading Kassian for Brandon Prust AND including a draft pick
  • Firing Gilman, Crawford and Henning
  • Trading Bieksa for a 2nd and immediately turning around and dealing Bonino and the 2nd for Sutter
  • Immediately signing Sutter to an atrocious contract that still haunts us with the first retroactive NTC
  • Trading Jensen and a Pick for half a season of Etem (who would go onto play 3 more games in the NHL after leaving the Canucks)
  • Trading Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund
  • Trading a pick for Philip Larsen
  • Finishing 3rd last in the league
  • Drafting Juolevi over Tkachuk with one of, if not the most obvious draft mistake in team history
  • Trading McCann a 2nd and a 4th for Gudbranson and a 5th
  • Signing Eriksson to 6M x 6 Years :help:
Did I miss anything? He basically went an entire calendar year making only self-destructive moves that are still obvious today.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That entire stretch starting in the 2016 offseason to the following year was a total disaster and I am not sure how anyone could have supported Benning after that.
  • Having the Boeser pick ready to go in a deal for Lucic only for LA to outbid the Canucks
  • Trading Lack for scraps and keeping Miller even though allegedly there was a high pick on the table
  • Trading Bieksa for a 2nd and immediately turning around and dealing Bonino and the 2nd for Sutter
  • Immediately signing Sutter to an atrocious contract that still haunts us with the first retroactive NTC
  • Trading Jensen and a Pick for half a season of Etem (who would go onto play 3 more games in the NHL after leaving the Canucks)
  • Drafting Juolevi over Tkachuk with one of, if not the most obvious draft mistake in team history
Did I miss anything? He basically went an entire calendar year making only self-destructive moves that are still obvious today.

Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers, does that count?

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Somehow you have missed Loui Eriksson although I don’t blame you for trying to forget.

Oh, and you missed trying to trade #5 overall in 2016 + Bo Horvat for PK Subban, as well.

But yes, the point from the Sbisa/Dorsett signings in March 2015 through the end of the 2016 offseason is the most incompetent stretch from any GM in the history of the NHL.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I tend to agree with him. It's no sure thing but we have the core of a good team in place, and the bad Benning contracts quickly expiring. Next season will likely be a bit of a write off too but after that if we get competent management who can fill out the depth with shrewd moves and hire an effective coach the team could be turned around quickly. Basically there's no reason we can't afford to keep all of Petterson-Horvat-Miller-Boeser-Hoglander-Hughes-Schmidt-Demko, we just need someone who can complete the defense and create an effective bottom six at more of a $15M cap hit rather than wasting like $30M on replacement level players.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Sure but their prospect pool isn't good and their top talent will be making a lot of money. The GM will have more flexibility after the 2022 season.

Also no tradeable assets.

Yes, but paying good players is something that good teams are always dealing with. It's paying solid money to several low-level and non-roster players, as in the Canucks' present situation, that's the problem. 17 months from now most of Benning's disasters will be off of the books as will the Luongo penalty. The prospect pool isn't great but it's not terrible and there are already some genuinely good young players on the roster. Missing the playoffs would mean a shot in the draft lottery this summer. Obviously the situation is not ideal but it's not hopeless as long as Aqua brings in a smart management group.

Reactions: canucksfan

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I tend to agree with him. It's no sure thing but we have the core of a good team in place, and the bad Benning contracts quickly expiring. Next season will likely be a bit of a write off too but after that if we get competent management who can fill out the depth with shrewd moves and hire an effective coach the team could be turned around quickly. Basically there's no reason we can't afford to keep all of Petterson-Horvat-Miller-Boeser-Hoglander-Hughes-Schmidt-Demko, we just need someone who can complete the defense and create an effective bottom six at more of a $15M cap hit rather than wasting like $30M on replacement level players.
Our defence looks very far from being competitive. Edler looks done. The pipeline is thin on defence and has been Bennings entire tenure.

Reactions: LordBacon

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

We'll need to revamp out defense outside of Schmidt and Hughes, and almost the entire bottom 6 forward; goalie feels...uncertain.

And this is assume that whoever our next GM will be makes no mistakes at all.

Reactions: Canucks5551
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad