The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I think more and more fans are starting to become increasingly pissed that we re-signed Virtanen instead of say...trading Virtanen, buying out Sutter and signing Toffoli. Watching Toffoli torch us nightly while Jake still looks completely useless and clueless will have that effect.

I really want to know what went down there with that whole situation. Toffoli wanted to re-sign. Team mates wanted him to re-sign. There was some combination of not-so-difficult personnel choices that would have allowed him to re-sign. Losing Virtanen and Sutter are complete washes, it doesn't degrade the team at all, literally just call up the top Taxi/AHL guys and you'd get the same thing.

So, so stupid. This offseason was a total mess. In spite of all the bungling and incompetence by Benning, we happened to luck upon a roster that could be a bubble playoff team that, if EP, QH, Podz etc. all continue to develop well and reach their peaks, and we can draft shrewdly to stock the cupboards, it became miraculously a possibility that this team could contend in a few years. We didn't actually have to burn the entire roster down after all like some had predicted!

how the f*** did we lose Markstrom Tanev Toffoli Leivo etc and end up with this trash heap of a roster

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really want to know what went down there with that whole situation. Toffoli wanted to re-sign. Team mates wanted him to re-sign. There was some combination of not-so-difficult personnel choices that would have allowed him to re-sign. Losing Virtanen and Sutter are complete washes, it doesn't degrade the team at all, literally just call up the top Taxi/AHL guys and you'd get the same thing.

So, so stupid. This offseason was a total mess. In spite of all the bungling and incompetence by Benning, we happened to luck upon a roster that could be a bubble playoff team that, if EP, QH, Podz etc. all continue to develop well and reach their peaks, and we can draft shrewdly to stock the cupboards, it became miraculously a possibility that this team could contend in a few years. We didn't actually have to burn the entire roster down after all like some had predicted!

how the f*** did we lose Markstrom Tanev Toffoli Leivo etc and end up with this trash heap of a roster

Jim Benning committed 40% of our cap space to absolute garbage and left us with no room to keep important players. There really isn't any more to it than that.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Somebody's got to go.

Unfortunately it's a bad time to be hiring a new General Manager or Coach. You're looking at Zoom interviews and a 14 day quarantine after hiring, unless you only want to look at options currently living in Canada.

Reactions: m9

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Jim Benning committed 40% of our cap space to absolute garbage and left us with no room to keep important players. There really isn't any more to it than that.

Ownership saying no to buyouts didn't hurt, either.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This is the culmnation of 7 years of crap management.

Many of us have been providing the analysis based on fact, logic and reasoning to point this out, from as early as 2015.

We also pointed out that the full extent of the harm, the death by a thousand cuts, can be put off for years.

The response was BS shilling. Cap space doesn't matter. But Gillis. You aren't an NHL GM.

The response is still BS shilling. Hindsight is 20/20.

Offensive - and completely opposite of the truth - accusations of agendas were made, by shills who clearly had an agenda to defend this indefensible regime.

The shilling - of course - continues to this day, and it will continue tomorrow. Wait and see.

I look forward to all of it.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Gerrard Gallant is in PEI. Does he get an exemption or <14 day quarantine if he is in Canada?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He was talking about Miller being pissed off.

And thanks, I know that Miller is still a Canuck, I am not an idiot

Yes he was talking about Miller

However I am just confirming that Toffoli has 1 cup and not 2 cup. He wrote Toffoli had 2 cups

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'll be buying a Kraken jersey if Benning isn't fired.

The Aquilini can f*** off too. Never giving them a dime of revenue if they dont do the right thing.

Looking back, I became a Canucks fan at age 4, back in '72.

I didn't choose it. Maybe it chose me. I had to step on the ice at Karen Magnusson at 5:45am at a hockey practice for 6 year olds (of my 3 older brothers, the 6 yo was being coached by my dad, and my mom had my other two brothers at Lonsdale, it was the only way to babysit me at that time of day - our best friends next door also had all 3 boys on the ice at NSWC). We played street hockey virtually every day on the upper field of Monteray.

I started playing the next year, for NVMHA. Our crest is the Canucks original jersey, with "North Van" above and below the stick.

How could I not be a Canucks fan?

But if Benning is GM of this team come the beginning of the next season, the Vancouver Canucks will have chosen me not to be a fan.

I may have to choose, for the first time in my life.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Isn't it true that with no Canucks President the Aqulinis would be solely responsible for the decision to fire Benning and hire his replacement?

That's a scary thing.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The depressing thing for me, is how exactly does a new GM fix things and rights the ship for the Canucks?

I'm not saying that to advocate against removing Benning, but I'm just looking at the Canucks being the Augean Stable of the NHL.

Our cap structure is f***ed.

The incoming GM is going to have to, in short order:

- Sign Pettersson and Hughes to new contracts, which is going to eat up a ton of flexibility.
- Re-sign or replace Tanner Pearson. This is going to be difficult as I don't think Pearson has earned a raise, which means he'll likely be looking at term as a trade off. I'm not fond of retaining Pearson, but that then creates the problem of finding a new top six winger.
- Salvage a manageable defensive corps. Edler might just say 'f*** this shit, I'm out' and retire, plus his better days are behind him. We effectively have 3 second-to-third pairing defensemen, Hughes as our one gem back there and Chatfield/Juolevi as random passengers.
- Contend with the expansion draft. Who are we going to lose to Seattle? I'm guessing JT Miller, because lol, which means that our top six is going to become even emptier.
- Figure out the issue with coaching. It's looking increasingly as though Green is in over his head.

So all the new GM has to do is fix our top six, fix our defense, find a new coach all while having his back up against the salary cap thanks to the garbage contracts Benning has signed.

This isn't going to be undone overnight, and the clock is ticking on Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

If that is the case, there's no reason (other than ego) to delay his firing. Announce that you're spending the remainder of the season in search of a suitable replacement. Zoom conference call away. A stand-in can manage the trade deadline deals if necessary, but if you act now, there's a plausible chance a new GM could manage that as well.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
The problems are stacked up so much with the team that there just aren't any outs. The team isn't good; it hasn't accumulated picks; it doesn't have a stacked prospect pool; it doesn't have cap space. I don't know how you fix this mess any time soon. The team has to get a new GM now so that they can get to work straight away. The longer it's left the longer it's going to take to dig out of.

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad