The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Are you wilfully ignoring the post I was responding to? You know the whole concept of "Quoting" a post is you're responding to the comment that is being quoted.

So please tell me why my post was wilfully ignoring how ecstatic people where when the trade was done when I was simply responding to this post:

When you put "when discussing off season moves around here..." you're extending much more than that one post in an attempt to deflect any blames on Benning and to discredit any criticism people have of Benning's idiocy in recent discussion.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
For some reason, trading a future 3rd round pick for a legitimate 1st pairing Dman in Schmidt often gets left out when discussing off season moves around here...
Where’s the first pairing Dman?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Are you wilfully ignoring the post I was responding to? You know the whole concept of "Quoting" a post is you're responding to the comment that is being quoted.

So please tell me why my post was wilfully ignoring how ecstatic people where when the trade was done when I was simply responding to this post:
Why not respond to me?

Schmidt wasn’t an addition. He was a replacement.

Reactions: Shattered Dreams

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Bandy, I do not think he's done a poor job of team building. What kind of logical fallacy is it to make up stuff about other's postions?

The evidence shows that Benning has done an atrocious job of teambuilding. Along with an atrocious job of most all the other aspects of being a GM. And that he is atrocious at scouting.

The distinction between a 24 year old and a 24 year, 3 month, 21 day year old Markstrom is meaningless, and even more meaningless because 24 years old is an arbitrary line to draw for prospects. Mine is 24 years, 3 months and 22 days. I include all Canuck players in that age range for our prospects, and it is still just Podz.

But thank you for once again defending Benning by nitpicking on a meaningless point, demonstrating you don't have a leg to stand on even there, and balancing out a discussion of the horrid management of this team with deflections, false statements about my position, and claims about logic and coherence that don't stand up to scrutiny. I admire your stamina.
Again, it wasn't a meaningless point -- it addressed the entire content of your post, which was that you'd prefer the 2014 prospect pool prominently featuring a 24-year-old strictly in comparison to the current one which is missing multiple stars under 24 who happen to have made the league. You know this argument doesn't make sense. It's so very, very easy to criticize Benning at the moment without making silly distinctions you don't even believe are valid yourself to drive the point home.

Also, I'm not defending Benning. He's a terrible GM who should have been fired years ago. I'm just sick of the weird, brittle, irrational atmosphere that prevails in these thread because just being right isn't enough anymore.

Last edited:

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Again, it wasn't a meaningless point -- it addressed the entire content of your post, which was that you'd prefer the 2014 prospect pool prominently featuring a 24-year-old strictly in comparison to the current one which is missing multiple stars under 24 who happen to have made the league. You know this argument doesn't make sense. IT's so very, very easy to criticize Benning at the moment without making silly distinctions you don't even believe are valid yourself to drive the point home.
Who honestly cares we have a marginally better prospect pool when the overall organization is a mess?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
When you put "when discussing off season moves around here..." you're extending much more than that one post in an attempt to deflect any blames on Benning and to discredit any criticism people have of Benning's idiocy in recent discussion.

Um... I was directly responding to a comment that suggested that the only addition this offseason was to acquire a below average goalie in Holtby. :rolleyes:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Um... I was directly responding to a comment that suggested that the only addition this offseason was to acquire a below average goalie in Holtby. :rolleyes:

Right, and that ONE post, made by one poster in that one instance, is representative of EVERYONE who's totally ignoring that Nate was brought in with a 3rd round.

Or maybe "discussing off season moves" mean something else to you?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Again, it wasn't a meaningless point -- it addressed the entire content of your post, which was that you'd prefer the 2014 prospect pool prominently featuring a 24-year-old strictly in comparison to the current one which is missing multiple stars under 24 who happen to have made the league. You know this argument doesn't make sense. IT's so very, very easy to criticize Benning at the moment without making silly distinctions you don't even believe are valid yourself to drive the point home.

Exactly.

Do you know what a prospect pool is, in my eyes and the eyes of any analysis that matters?

Someone who's best years are yet to come (age wise), who can be added to the lineup to improve it.

On May 21, 2014, Benning could add Marky, Bo, and the 6th OA pick to the lineup, all of them would be additions (improvement over whomever they replace), and their best years would be ahead of them.

On February 4, 2021, Benning can add Pods to the lineup. Podz presumably would be an improvement over whomever he would replace.

Name one other player today - who's best years are yet to come - that Benning can add to the lineup to improve the team we are seeing on the ice.

Or better yet, go on about meaningless points to deflect from the atrocious job management has done over the past half decade. Not poor. Atrocious.

See bandy, you can argue semantics or the letter of some law you have imagined, but the heart of the matter is, supported by facts, logic and reasoning, is that not only did Benning inherit a 101 point team (and all the assets that can be harvested from such a team), he inherited an excellent prospect pool including a future Vezina level goalie, a future Captain/Elite 2C, and a 6th OA pick (that could be as good as Nylander or Ehlers) all that could be added to the team to improve it for the next half decade or so.

If Benning were to be fired tonight, the only piece a new GM can add that will improve the team for the next half decade or so is Podz.

So please continue to go making silly distinctions that I hope you don't even believe, without it we wouldn't be able to balance reality with unreality.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Could be a bad night for Benning in the eyes of the casual fan. Another 5+ goals given up to Toronto, Ottawa is beating Montreal, and Flames or Jets get 2 points. After that ran out of time quote, the perception of Benning is finally starting to change.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

They said "sign" and talked about term. They were clearly talking about free agency.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Could be a bad night for Benning in the eyes of the casual fan. Another 5+ goals given up to Toronto, Ottawa is beating Montreal, and Flames or Jets get 2 points. After that ran out of time quote, the perception of Benning is finally starting to change.

Outside of the games vs a dilapidated Senators, we've been absolutely atrocious.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I think more and more fans are starting to become increasingly pissed that we re-signed Virtanen instead of say...trading Virtanen, buying out Sutter and signing Toffoli. Watching Toffoli torch us nightly while Jake still looks completely useless and clueless will have that effect.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You know how bad you have to be to put in star rookies every season and the team still lacks depth. the GM is the problem.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad