The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

CantHaveTkachev

Cap Space > NHL players
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Too bad some posters keep ignoring that. Broberg was gone regardless. Period. Holloway was just collateral damage. Bowman couldve retained the latter but I guess they didn't feel he was worth 2x the price, messed up wrist and all
He has essentially confirmed the bolded statement. He said he was glad he got the offer sheet as he was ready to move on. That pretty much confirms for me that he was not signing for any amount that made sense for the Oilers.
or they could've just signed the offer sheet, play him this year and if he still wants to leave next offseason, trade him

plus, a lot of players rescind trade requests

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Too bad some posters keep ignoring that. Broberg was gone regardless. Period. Holloway was just collateral damage. Bowman couldve retained the latter but I guess they didn't feel he was worth 2x the price, messed up wrist and all
He has essentially confirmed the bolded statement. He said he was glad he got the offer sheet as he was ready to move on. That pretty much confirms for me that he was not signing for any amount that made sense for the Oilers.
I don't blame him for wanting to move on. We dicked him around so much. We can say the player wanted to move on, until we are blue in the face, but the situation didn't need to get to that point & there are reasons it got to that point. The org screwed up here & now we developed him for the Blues to have a young top 4 D on their roster for the next 10 years. Sure, ya, great move...most here think it was the right thing to do. Not buying it...

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I could also see a situation where maybe the offer sheet is already signed but the Blues just have to file it, and they are waiting for perfect timing. Maybe making a trade in that situation is near impossible because as soon as the Blues get any whiff they pull the trigger. But the problem there is that how would anyone else know what the Blues are up to besides Broberg and perhaps the Oilers? Why would Utah or Chicago or Calgary or whoever know?

It's just that the simple answer is that we just assumed that Broberg would accept whatever we gave him because our team is just that awesome. Fresh off of a finals appearance and a plan to use him in the top 4 next year. It just makes the most sense that our management misread the situation entirely.
He wanted out long before the playoffs last year, and that didn't change this summer. This idea that management just assumed they could offer whatever and he would take it is silly. Like they have no finger on the pulse of their own players and don't actually talk to them behind the curtains.

I'm sure they were well aware of risks involving Broberg being offersheeted and didn't think he would just sign whatever they wanted to throw at him.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
or they could've just signed the offer sheet, play him this year and if he still wants to leave next offseason, trade him

plus, a lot of players rescind trade requests

and if he sucks, you have a 4+M anchor on a team thats already strapped for cash

I don't blame him for wanting to move on. We dicked him around so much. We can say the player wanted to move on, until we are blue in the face, but the situation didn't need to get to that point & there are reasons it got to that point. The org screwed up here & now we developed him for the Blues to have a young top 4 D on their roster for the next 10 years. Sure, ya, great move...most here think it was the right thing to do. Not buying it...

Not sure how him not showing well during multiple preseasons to take a spot is the team dicking him 🤷‍♂️

CantHaveTkachev

Cap Space > NHL players
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
and if he sucks, you have a 4+M anchor on a team thats already strapped for cash
that's the risk you take....no bigger risk than letting him go for peanuts only to see another franchise reap the benefits

and right now, St. Louis is looking pretty smart and identifying the playoffs were not a fluke like everyone said around here and there's a budding top 4 defenseman on their hands...all he needed was an opportunity

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines

Not sure how him not showing well during multiple preseasons to take a spot is the team dicking him 🤷‍♂️
He showed well on the biggest stage possible. No, I don't think he was amazing, but he stepped in & looked the part. He had to watch many players, frankly that are not very good, get opportunities over him. Remember, Bouch looked like absolute garbage, a wasted pick maybe, b4 he was paired with Ekholm. They are ready when they are ready. Sure there was risk in giving him 4M for 2 years, but it's not a long term commitment. The greater risk is losing him for essentially nothing & watching him flourish elsewhere for the next decade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He wanted out long before the playoffs last year, and that didn't change this summer. This idea that management just assumed they could offer whatever and he would take it is silly. Like they have no finger on the pulse of their own players and don't actually talk to them behind the curtains.

I'm sure they were well aware of risks involving Broberg being offersheeted and didn't think he would just sign whatever they wanted to throw at him.
They did offer Broberg something though, and my assumption is reasonable based on what was offered.

You also have no better idea about what Broberg thought of the team than anyone else. Yes he requested trades, but the reasons for doing so are more complex than just that he disliked the organization

All signs point to that he was displeased because he wasn't getting NHL time and opportunity. It didn't seem to be about money. That is another assumption but that's the best assumption based on the info given

So yes, it does seem that the Oilers were a bit arrogant by assuming that Broberg would be appeased by telling that he was guaranteed a spot on the team this time having earned it with his excellent play in the playoffs, and likely top 4 as well.

And again, we are all in the dark on this one for the most part. To me this narrative is the one that makes the most sense. Either way it's just splitting hairs. The Oilers misread and mismanaged the situation in some way. The final outcome is proof enough of that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad