The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm sure when Bowman revisted w/ Broberg his stance didn't change despite his playoff usage.
The thought of having to play on your offside while babysitting Nurse is a recipe for failure.

He was never gonna stay
Then trade him in early July rather than offer him 1.0 x2 years and then turn off the phone. But yes I don't think Bowman really owns the loss on this one. It's all Holland and Jackson

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Then trade him in early July rather than offer him 1.0 x2 years and then turn off the phone. But yes I don't think Bowman really owns the loss on this one. It's all Holland and Jackson
The offer sheets were already ready to go in July.

No team was going to give up legit assets for him without talking to him first and his agent would be asking to get blacklisted if he didn't disclose the incoming offer sheets.

Broberg wanted out and his agent exercised every right they had to make the offer sheet the only possible outcome.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The offer sheets were already ready to go in July.

No team was going to give up legit assets for him without talking to him first and his agent would be asking to get blacklisted if he didn't disclose the incoming offer sheets.

Broberg wanted out and his agent exercised every right they had to make the offer sheet the only possible outcome.
I don't buy this.

What you do is tell the team you are dealing with that there is a big risk of an offer sheet. That hurts the value but not by that much. If we are trading him to a seller, that means they have cap space to burn, and that includes matching offer sheets. There is no shortage of teams like that, who need talent and will overpay for it. There is zero need for the new team to talk to Broberg first

And let's be real. If he's traded to a team with tons of cap space, he's no longer an offer sheet target from St.Louis ( not that it matters a lot)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't buy this.

What you do is tell the team you are dealing with that there is a big risk of an offer sheet. That hurts the value but not by that much. If we are trading him to a seller, that means they have cap space to burn, and that includes matching offer sheets. There is no shortage of teams like that, who need talent and will overpay for it. There is zero need for the new team to talk to Broberg first

And let's be real. If he's traded to a team with tons of cap space, he's no longer an offer sheet target from St.Louis ( not that it matters a lot)
No team is going to trade for a disgruntled RFA without talking to them first. The Oilers wanting to trade him would have been an obvious red flag for teams to investigate.

Then it's as simple as telling any potential traders that you're looking for $5M on a deal and every one will scoff at giving up anything worthwhile.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No team is going to trade for a disgruntled RFA without talking to them first. The Oilers wanting to trade him would have been an obvious red flag for teams to investigate.

Then it's as simple as telling any potential traders that you're looking for $5M on a deal and every one will scoff at giving up anything worthwhile.
Broberg was an RFA with no power. Players get traded to worse situations that they would prefer all the time, and they suck it up and play it out. It's obvious that Broberg's gripe was lack of usage. I don't see the downside for some team like Utah or whoever negotiating with Broberg. He'd have to sign eventually and he's not going to sit out games. Sitting out games is why he was pissed off at the Oilers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Broberg was an RFA with no power. Players get traded to worse situations that they would prefer all the time, and they suck it up and play it out. It's obvious that Broberg's gripe was lack of usage. I don't see the downside for some team like Utah or whoever negotiating with Broberg. He'd have to sign eventually and he's not going to sit out games. Sitting out games is why he was pissed off at the Oilers
Why would Broberg agree to a deal with Utah that's a penny less than the offer sheet? And if Utah was willing to pay him that, why didn't they beat STL to the punch?

If teams were lining up to pay him $4.6M, he probably wouldn't have made it until the middle of August without an offer sheet.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why would Broberg agree to a deal with Utah that's a penny less than the offer sheet? And if Utah was willing to pay him that, why didn't they beat STL to the punch?

If teams were lining up to pay him $4.6M, he probably wouldn't have made it until the middle of August without an offer sheet.
We don't know that Broberg didn't get an offer sheet from Utah. Broberg has to sign it. I see why he liked the Blues.

There would be plenty of teams who would take Broberg at the cap hit the Blues got him for. These these teams have cap space to burn. They are itching for a top 10 pick with all signs pointing up and fully developed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We don't know that Broberg didn't get an offer sheet from Utah. Broberg has to sign it. I see why he liked the Blues.

There would be plenty of teams who would take Broberg at the cap hit the Blues got him for. These these teams have cap space to burn. They are itching for a top 10 pick with all signs pointing up and fully developed.
Fair. I just don't really see why Broberg wouldn't sign an offer sheet from someone else then wait until the middle of August to sign the Blues' if there were a bunch of teams sending them.

That kind of goes back to my last point too though. If Broberg and his agent specifically wanted STL, would you not be throwing cold water on any talks from potential traders to make sure you get to the offer sheet before you're traded?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fair. I just don't really see why Broberg wouldn't sign an offer sheet from someone else then wait until the middle of August to sign the Blues' if there were a bunch of teams sending them.

That kind of goes back to my last point too though. If Broberg and his agent specifically wanted STL, would you not be throwing cold water on any talks from potential traders to make sure you get to the offer sheet before you're traded?
I could also see a situation where maybe the offer sheet is already signed but the Blues just have to file it, and they are waiting for perfect timing. Maybe making a trade in that situation is near impossible because as soon as the Blues get any whiff they pull the trigger. But the problem there is that how would anyone else know what the Blues are up to besides Broberg and perhaps the Oilers? Why would Utah or Chicago or Calgary or whoever know?

It's just that the simple answer is that we just assumed that Broberg would accept whatever we gave him because our team is just that awesome. Fresh off of a finals appearance and a plan to use him in the top 4 next year. It just makes the most sense that our management misread the situation entirely.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You gotta be some kind of naive or have an agenda to post this.
Bowman went thru the entire org to discuss these players. They weighed all the options and facts, and there were many.

This wasn't an egomaniacal decision.
The post on the other hand....
Ok there Bowmans inside man. The final conclusion , sign neither, waste a few million on pylons and call it a day. Good to know.
Thank god this has it's own thread.

Losing two guys who put up a combined 11 points for us last year is not why this team is struggling out the gates.
Bro,

I presume you don't watch any other team other than the Oilers if you ultimately come to this conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad