The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Thank god this has it's own thread.

Losing two guys who put up a combined 11 points for us last year is not why this team is struggling out the gates.

It's not just about how the team is doing now, it's about losing assets for nothing yet again. This team has been piss-poorly managed during the McDrai era and it's absolutely frustrating as a fan to think about what could have been.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Oilers clearly managed the Broberg and Holloway situation horrifically. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise--just elite level incompetence. And there is no doubt some hyperbole about how well Broberg, Holloway, and I would add McLeod, are doing. But the Oilers' terrible management of assets is an entirely legitimate area of criticism. When you have a team on the cusp of being a champion team, mismanagement like that may be the difference between a modern dynasty and a one-and-done cup win (or no cup wins).

I can't stand how this organization big-brains their decisions sometimes.

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's not just about how the team is doing now, it's about losing assets for nothing yet again. This team has been piss-poorly managed during the McDrai era and it's absolutely frustrating as a fan to think about what could have been.
This coupled with their absolutely abysmal drafting has created all sorts of problems that sadly probably won't be addressed. The prospect pool is very barren.

Reactions: soothsayer

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The Oilers clearly managed the Broberg and Holloway situation horrifically. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise--just elite level incompetence. And there is no doubt some hyperbole about how well Broberg, Holloway, and I would add McLeod, are doing. But the Oilers' terrible management of assets is an entirely legitimate area of criticism. When you have a team on the cusp of being a champion team, mismanagement like that may be the difference between a modern dynasty and a one-and-done cup win (or no cup wins).

I can't stand how this organization big-brains their decisions sometimes.
In terms of champions, it is sad that we have pretty much passed our peak window. We wasted away years where we could have won multiple like PITT/CHI.

Our top 2 players are statistically past their primes now. The goal now is to basically win 1 while they are here (if McDavid stays). Core is getting older.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
And yet here the player is arriving at age 23 as an NHL top 4 defenseman. After stepping up in the game's most difficult level of competition. The premature rush to judgement has been funny to follow as it was initially f*** should have taken Zegras then when he stalled out became a litany of other names. This was always about projecting the raw abilities of size, skating, and modern era defending game with reach and gap control with ability to transport pucks out of own zone.

The player's game starting to come into focus with hard miles development put in and a clear position and runway to play through team and individual dips in play on his strong side with quality veteran partner. Looking like Holland's scouting belief and projection were on point.

Far too easy to jump to premature conclusions on young NHL defensemen.
Also funny how everyone gave Nurse the benefit of the doubt when he was young too.

"Defensemen take longer to develop" was used all the time. But with Broberg it was different for a lot of people. He was just a bust.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Thank god this has it's own thread.

Losing two guys who put up a combined 11 points for us last year is not why this team is struggling out the gates.
Specious.

Ever hear of proration? Holloway only played 38games for us in regular season. Combine it with his playoffs and he scored 11G for us last season while adding 5 assists. That makes 16pts Prorate tht to full season and its a 15 goal season for a raw young player.

Broberg? 4G 4A in a combined playoffs/reg season in only 22GP. Prorates to 30some pts for a raw D who was clearly figuring it out.

Both are prorated to full seasons on the logical basis that both would be in the lineup full seasons here had the Oilers not gong another way.

Do you or anybody actually disagree these would be starting players this season?

could use their 5 goals and 11 points this year though couldn't we?
Or add their playoff pts which I just did.

Odd as well the same poster had no difficulty at all with Connor Brown being in the lineup this season and last season despite running far worse numbers than young potential filled Holloway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah, I don't get the people mocking cap space accrual. They're the same folks that would be dumping all over management if they had to do the ole money in money out thing at the deadline.

I'm still bitter about losing Broberg but at 4.6m, you're either taking the leap of faith with him with no cap flexibility to add at the deadline or have the flexibility to add a player more proven at the deadline to help more in the short term.

Personally, I was more in the let Broberg go at that number camp when it happened but I'm starting to really change my mind on that. What happens if the Oilers let go of a 10 year top pairing Dman, down the line? It's quite possible with his trajectory. He's already establishing as solid top 4.
Either way, it was a tough decision. The question is, can they find a Dman better than Broberg even currently is? Ehh, I don't know.
Can they find a Dman that will be better than him long term? Even more unlikely.
Yep. Its the thing. I'll take Ekholms word on it over anybody. He felt Broberg was a real talent and had all the tools. The ONLY aspect with this player was strength, but the player had already rounded into a 215lb fine broth of a lad at only age 23. Get his man strength and stronger in battle and surviving contact. Once he's skating and with puck on stick never much doubt. He was fantastic in his short stint in playoffs. The worst Bro was gonna likely be is a top 4 D somewhere and with all kinds of upside.

My main question re Broberg was he going to be able to handle NHL physicality and how quick the game is. He handled both of those questions. By end of playoffs I was ecstatic about the player.

Again the Oilers were paying a D like Ceci 4M and with no upside. No Diss to Ceci, certainly not my favorite, but he's a guy as well that looks better anywhere else than here. The latter is area of concern. Should I raise the point that all of Broberg, Holloway, McLeod, Foegele are doing better away from the Oilers? On teams that have more faith in the players. Foegele has been pumped in LA every game. Leading the whole LA team in expected goals this season. He's been the Foegele that teases with some skill but in LA putting it together every game so far. First star last night in LA home opener.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He wanted out early last season when he was 7th or 8th defender. 7th or 8th defender behind plugs like Desharnais.

He didn't want out after coach K eventually realised he was better than most defenders in the organisations and started playing him regularly in the Stanley Cup. Instead he requested 1.8 Million and a one way contract. The Oilers brass refused and didn't return to the negotiations.

Broberg would have been an Oiler earning 1.8 mil had we seen competent management. But management preferred useless playes like Dermott, Emberson and Stetcher over Broberg and Ceci. Sad...
Yeah. I don't know that any player would really want out from this Oilers team had they been utilized all along. Seems to be a blanket faith argument defending Oilers org in any situation assuming the player would not want to be here. Its easy enough to make players happy if you include them and make them a part of things. Prospects hunger for chances and why wouldn't they? I'd worry more about prospects that were too nervous to be up in the show. Broberg was in his first games in NHL but got more comfortable at some point. He wanted to be a regular in an NHL lineup. Not just the pay, but to be regularly a player. The Oilers went from granting him 23 games rookie season to 46 sophomore season and ramped back alarmingly to only 12 games last season. It seemed to be moving the wrong direction with deployment of Broberg here so he wanted out in order to be in NHL. Not at all a rare thing with young prospects. STL will certainly give him that action. He's not a bit consideration there. He's getting every game, considerable minutes and on PP. He must be loving it.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yeah. I don't know that any player would really want out from this Oilers team had they been utilized all along. Seems to be a blanket faith argument defending Oilers org in any situation assuming the player would not want to be here. Its easy enough to make players happy if you include them and make them a part of things. Prospects hunger for chances and why wouldn't they? I'd worry more about prospects that were too nervous to be up in the show. Broberg was in his first games in NHL but got more comfortable at some point. He wanted to be a regular in an NHL lineup. Not just the pay, but to be regularly a player. The Oilers went from granting him 23 games rookie season to 46 sophomore season and ramped back alarmingly to only 12 games last season. It seemed to be moving the wrong direction with deployment of Broberg here so he wanted out in order to be in NHL. Not at all a rare thing with young prospects. STL will certainly give him that action. He's not a bit consideration there. He's getting every game, considerable minutes and on PP. He must be loving it.
No room for this logic in this thread.

Broberg is a bum for not signing with us. 🤌

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad