The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers gotten a 1st for Broberg, there wouldn't be so much complaining. Trust me, once we acquire that top 4 D at the deadline and Kane comes back healthy, we will forget about those 2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I personally never seen much from either guy to justify the contracts or offer sheets. I don’t think we would be better off this season if we had kept them.

I will say that I think there is something wrong with this organization. Feels like the majority of outgoing players improve once they leave and incoming players do worse. Someone like McLeod has 4 goals already. Felt like he didn’t get his first goal here for months.

I don’t think the organization, coaches or leadership core are setting up other players for success. Certain players play too much. Other players don’t play enough. There were games where Broberg would play like 2 minutes. I don’t think this is a cohesive group where other players are valued.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well since it's still somewhat fresh and it's obviously pissed off a lot of people here's a thread to keep this discussion in so that it doesn't spill into other threads.

My take is that Broberg can f*** right off and keep on f***ing off. He never had the stones to come in here and earn a job in camp based on his play and then demanded a trade. He wasn't the player that he was in the playoffs for us at any point prior to that and obviously needed that extra time in Bako whether he wants to admit it or not. Food for him that he's off to a good start. We'll see how he does once other teams start to get the book on him and playing him physical consistently.

For Holloway he likely thought that he was a big enough piece that we'd match him and well that didn't exactly work out for him. I liked the player but it is what it is.
And Holloway can f*** off too. They both chose to leave the Oilers.

Not directed at you, but time to move forward. Lamenting about something that can’t be changed, 2-3 months after is beyond silly.

But for those that feel a need to, thank you for moving it to a separate sound booth.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do some teams get demoted before the trade deadline? Will the Oilers not exist by the trade deadline?
You know exactly what I meant. They might not be in a playoff spot by the time the TDL rolls around. The way they're playing so far certainly isn't inspiring the fanbase, and think of the insane run they had to go on last year just to get into a decent spot in the standings. Home ice doesn't mean everything but it sure can help, and if we had home ice in the Finals last year we probably win the Cup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Broberg in particular is and will be a big loss. I'm surprised he's gotten so much hate for asking for a trade and signing the OS. Why wouldn't he? He probably felt he was jerked around long enough and likely saw the writing on the wall with this org. which wasn't very encouraging.

I mean he was finally given some honest playing time, last playoffs, baptism by fire sort of speak, , and played pretty good, just continuing his good play in St.Louis. He's likely coming into his own and peaking.
Yep. Broberg was honest with the org and if not used here wanted to be elsewhere. Players are not some teams property or chattel. Avenues are available to them to go elsewhere. I contrast what Broberg did, open about it, with what Larsson did years later lying to the club that he would resign and then signing with somebody else and not even communicating that intent, and that that player cost us Taylor Hall. Sure Larsson could do whatever he liked but one player was open about it all along and another turned coat.

That said neither should be met with personal scorn for decisions. I understand where the animus can come from, but we all interpret situations individually and probably on a case by case basis.

It also speaks to the passion of a Canadian fanbase that we should feel so strongly about players leaving, but we probably shouldn't, and that includes me. We all have our reactions and triggers.

Reactions: Zguy370

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We lost a legitimate top 4 D man.

Holloway is a dime a dozen.
Would you have said this, were you saying this a year ago. Or at end of playoffs? Holloway tossed in 6 goals in his 38 games and another 5 in 22 playoff games. Seemed like the goals were coming for him and prorated to full season thats 16 goals from a young player that tears into forechecks, has speed and plays with intensity every shift. The very worst that Holloway can end up being is a roll player that pots 15-20yr. Thats about the worst projection. He's already there. He probably improves. On the right team a player like Holloway could be elevated to a more constant topsix role. Will be hard for him to get that in STL but on the right team he would. I think a 2nd line often needs a contest pucks player like Holloway. He has all kinds of jam.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
meh, Holloway will max out as a 15-20 goal guy, maybe 40-50 points I think
I love his speed but he won't provide much offense IMO

Broberg is a real loss...big, mobile defenders that can skate like him don't grow on trees. Even if he maxes out as a Jay Bouwmeester-lite, that's a damn good player
A low cost support player that puts up 40-50pts and plays up and down the lineup is HUGE. Especially when that player is a hard to play against energy player. People loved the thought of Holloway when we drafted him. What happened to those views?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This thread reminds me of the Taylor Hall gripe thread. That was back when they needed to rename the forum Taylor Hall Talk as every thread was about Taylor Fkg Hall.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This thread reminds me of the Taylor Hall gripe thread. That was back when they needed to rename the forum Taylor Hall Talk as every thread was about Taylor Fkg Hall.
No Oilers games on and paying too much attention to other things going on in Canada makes me ill so its just something to talk about. Hey I'd just as soon talk about movies and was doing that in another thread. or any OT stuff. This NHL sched is kind of annoying. Nothing happening and only one game on every 2nd night.

I could just get on the bandwagon I guess of all the Drai sucks convos going around. heh

You guys. heh. Whine and gripe in consecutive posts. ;). This is the thread where this stuff is supposed to be contained.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No Oilers games on and paying too much attention to other things going on in Canada makes me ill so its just something to talk about. Hey I'd just as soon talk about movies and was doing that in another thread. or any OT stuff. This NHL sched is kind of annoying. Nothing happening and only one game on every 2nd night.

I could just get on the bandwagon I guess of all the Drai sucks convos going around. heh

Oh don’t get me wrong, talk is talk. It just takes me back to the halcyon days of yore when it was all Taylor Hall talk all the time. Glad to see it’s attempted to be contained inside 1 thread.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If this team truly believed in Broberg... they should have matched his offer. If they think Broberg will become a top4 dman in this league (which he has all the tools to become one)... then he would have made north of $4 million anyways in a couple of years... and overpaying him now by a couple of million dollars shouldn't have mattered so much imo. I truly see the potential in Broberg... saw in last year's playoffs too.. and I hate that we lost him due to a freakin offer sheet. Do you know how hard it is to find big young mobile Dman like him?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oh don’t get me wrong, talk is talk. It just takes me back to the halcyon days of yore when it was all Taylor Hall talk all the time. Glad to see it’s attempted to be contained inside 1 thread.
Yeah, for sure. We got all the garden in now and yardwork done, garage cleaned up and I'm retired and kind of bored. Wife can't travel now due to illness so kind of stuck. I've read all the books I want to be reading. Watched TV series I wouldn't watch regularly. I'll be stripping paint and repainting washrooms today. How bored I am. ha

• Haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If this team truly believed in Broberg... they should have matched his offer. If they think Broberg will become a top4 dman in this league (which he has all the tools to become one)... then he would have made north of $4 million anyways in a couple of years... and overpaying him now by a couple of million dollars shouldn't have mattered so much imo. I truly see the potential in Broberg... saw in last year's playoffs too.. and I hate that we lost him due to a freakin offer sheet. Do you know how hard it is to find big young mobile Dman like him?
The price you have to pay. haha. Yep.

Man the guy ticked all the boxes except strong. But he was really young and he seems to be adding some man strength. D take a lot longer.

It doesn't help to think we were paying Ceci for years what the Blues are paying for Broberg with upside.

Reactions: Zguy370

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad