Pre-Game Talk: The last PGT of the season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Some positivity; there is a common thread between the last four teams that have pulled off 0-3 to 4--3 reverse sweeps.

In games 1 through 3, they were analytically in a dead heat with their opponent but just seemed to lose anyway due to bounces, bad PDO, or goaltending theatrics. This is bizarre - most teams that get swept get absolutely bodied in terms of xGF or scoring chances. Teams that pull off the reverse sweep are right there with their opponents and often deserve to be there they just are unlucky in the first three games - the 3-0 score flatters their opponents.

If you look at the analytics - I'd argue that describes this series. Expected goals are 8.76 to 8.53 for Florida with 1.9 of Florida's xGoals coming from empty net tries. High danger scoring chances are 41 to 26 for Edmonton. Scoring chances are 76 to 51 for Edmonton. PDO is 1.111 for FLA and 0.889 for EDM.

Not saying it's going to happen. But if it's going to happen - it's this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Does Nurse enjoy being an Oiler?
Not with Ray Ferraro calling the games. ;) Neither Skinner or Nurse would like his calls that much. Unfortunately on the highlights they cut out some of his tirades on the players.

What I expect is the Oilers with allstars in lineup do the utmost to avoid getting swept on home ice and put the best foot forward performance in game 4. After that I don't know.

Part of me wondering if Drai is really enjoying this anymore. Been something I've wondered at times this whole season. Kinda wonder if playing hurt for a longtime weighed heavily on him. Could be wrong but don't see him as a player that will play well into his thirties.

At some point becomes a quality of life thing. Should a player play so long they cripple their body or step out while they can. Its the classic Boxer paradigm but applies very much to hockey. Some players end up seeing that life is more important, and things like being able to walk normally are more important in life. Odd post I realize.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Nurse is terrible, and has maybe the worst contract in the league. He has been our worst player outside of Skinner all playoffs. Just a disaster start to finish, and he should have been healthy scratched a long time ago.

All that being said, it is very clear that he cares quite deeply and wants to win with this group. His heart is there, he is just dumb as a f***ing bag o' bricks, and has almost no situational awareness whatsoever. Nurse has many problems, and I'd give him away for free if I could, but "caring" isn't one of his problems.

Even Skinner managed to have one really good series. Something Nurse hasn't come close to.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
It's not over until it's over. One game at a time. At the end of the day, we're still in the Stanley Cup Finals and many teams would kill to even be in this position even being down 0-3.

This team had two 8 game win streaks and a 16 game win streak this year. Just need to pull off a 4 win streak.

LFG

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some positivity; there is a common thread between the last four teams that have pulled off 0-3 to 4--3 reverse sweeps.

In games 1 through 3, they were analytically in a dead heat with their opponent but just seemed to lose anyway due to bounces, bad PDO, or goaltending theatrics. This is bizarre - most teams that get swept get absolutely bodied in terms of xGF or scoring chances. Teams that pull off the reverse sweep are right there with their opponents and often deserve to be there they just are unlucky in the first three games - the 3-0 score flatters their opponents.

If you look at the analytics - I'd argue that describes this series. Expected goals are 8.76 to 8.53 for Florida with 1.9 of Florida's xGoals coming from empty net tries. High danger scoring chances are 41 to 26 for Edmonton. Scoring chances are 76 to 51 for Edmonton. PDO is 1.111 for FLA and 0.889 for EDM.

I’m sold. Statistical Lock baby!

It's not over until it's over. One game at a time. At the end of the day, we're still in the Stanley Cup Finals and many teams would kill to even be in this position even being down 0-3.

This team had two 8 game win streaks and a 16 game win streak this year. Just need to pull off a 4 win streak.

LFG
If anyone can do it. It’s Knoblauch and his penchant for Win Streaks. 4 straight Ws is right in his wheel house

• Haha
Reactions: Leon Crysaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Fair enough. That said there's also the Winnipeg Jet series as an example similar to this that ended in a sweep with Paul Maurice being their coach. Hopefully they dig deep and learn the lessons of Game 4 in that series to get the win instead of blowing a third period lead.

I’m sold. Statistical Lock baby!

If anyone can do it. It’s Knoblauch and his penchant for Win Streaks. 4 straight Ws is right in his wheel house

These playoffs he's already put together three 3 game winning streaks. Get one more and you're playing Game 7.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nurse is terrible, and has maybe the worst contract in the league. He has been our worst player outside of Skinner all playoffs. Just a disaster start to finish, and he should have been healthy scratched a long time ago.

All that being said, it is very clear that he cares quite deeply and wants to win with this group. His heart is there, he is just dumb as a f***ing bag o' bricks, and has almost no situational awareness whatsoever. Nurse has many problems, and I'd give him away for free if I could, but "caring" isn't one of his problems.
Nurse just has zero hockey IQ. Whatever play he should make, he does the opposite. It would be almost funny if it wasn’t so crippling to our cup chances.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Even Skinner managed to have one really good series. Something Nurse hasn't come close to.

Yup, it was maybe what, one goal he'd like to have back the entire series against Dallas? I'm not a big Skinner fan but it was a good series from him

Nurse has been mostly junk the entire playoffs

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sullen. Sad. Shocked. Depressed. Demoralized. Down in the dumps.

This how the Florida Panthers will be feeling after we complete the Reverse Sweep baby!

We’ve got them right where we want them and now is the time where Drake doubles down as the odds are the longest.

Nobody and I mean nobody had us down 3-0 on their bingo card. Which is exactly why nobody and I mean nobody will have the reverse sweep on their bingo card either.

Florida is on the Stanley Cup train tracks but there’s an Oiler clad Gandalf standing in their way shouting “YOU SHALL NOT PASS”. And pass they shall not (Yoda said this).

We will prevail in the greatest Stanley Cup comeback in playoff history! One for the ages! Songs shall be written about this glorious comeback! It shall be forever etched in our memories and our children’s memories!

It all starts with a win in Game 4 because for the love of God and all things Holy, Ratboy cannot be allowed to desecrate our ice by hoisting Lord Stanley’s Mug in our building.

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Sons of Edmonton, of Alberta, my brothers!

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of Oiler fans fail,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day!

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of the Oilers comes crashing down,

but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Fans of the Oilers!!!​

No more crying about what was! Envision what can be! Go forth and claim your victory!

( ok I’m ready for D&D tonight for real now!!!)

View attachment 882786

View attachment 882721
I’ll have whatever he’s having.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
@BertMcDrai hope you found a place to watch that dominant performance by Germany to open the Euros

Was nice to watch that after this disappointing Finals

Reactions: BertMcDrai

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
@BertMcDrai hope you found a place to watch that dominant performance by Germany to open the Euros

Was nice to watch that after this disappointing Finals
Yeah you are speaking out of my soul...a disappointing start to the euros would have killed me...I am at a bar in Edm and could watch it...some Scottish man came after the game (I had a German jersey on and a an oilers hat) at least one of your teams won he said...which is true and valuable.

I would still trade that German win (cause I think they are good this year and will come out of the group stage either way) against a win yesterday...but it is as it is.

Hopefully we aren't swept tomorrow cause the shit show on the mains will be extreme hyperbole.

Thanks for reaching out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad