The Jim Benning and Management Megathread - CAD got you down? He has you covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Jimbos hilarious in all these behind the B videos

Seriously in shock about Horton, pouting about Ference,

Fantastic quotes like these

"Yeah, we'll miss his speed. In the regular season we'll miss his speed"

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Jimbos hilarious in all these behind the B videos

Seriously in shock about Horton, pouting about Ference,

Fantastic quotes like these

"Yeah, we'll miss his speed. In the regular season we'll miss his speed"

That's the one I'm looking for and can't find. Any help? I can find the quote everywhere but can't find the video.

Yeah, reaction to Horton was hilarious.

*Found it finally! It is in episode one! I made that harder than it needed to be.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Missing anything?

Trades:
Kesler, 3rd for Sbisa, Bonino, 1st (McCann), 3rd
3rd for Dorsett
Garrison, 7th, Costello for 2nd
2nd for Vey
Lain for Acton
Mallet, 3rd for Pedan
Forsling for Clendening
Jeffrey for Conacher
2nd for Baertschi
---------------
Lack for a 3rd and 7th
McNally for a 7th
Kassian, 5th for Prust
Bieksa for a 2nd
Bonino, Clendening, 2nd for Sutter, 3rd

Signings:
AHL - Biega, Jeffrey, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, Andersson, Archibald, Cannata, Freisen
ELC - McCann, Virtanen, Subban, Stewart
Miller 3 yrs, $6 mil per
Vrbata 2 yrs, $5 mil per
Kassian 2 yr, $1.75 per
Weber 1yr, $850K
Tanev 1yr, $2mil
Tanev 5yr, $4.45 mil per
Vey 1yr, $735K
Dorsett 3yr, $2.65 mil per
Sbisa 3 yr, $3.6 per
Kenins 1yr, $600K
-------------------
AHL - Fedun 1yr, $600K, Bachman 2yrs, $575K per, Jones 1yr, $600K, Grenier, 1yr, Cracknell, Witt
Vey 1yr, $1 mil
Bartkowski 1yr, $1.75 mil
Weber 1yr, $1.5 mil
Markstrom 2yrs, $1.55 per
Corrado, 1yr $600K
Clendening, 1yr $760K
Sutter... 5 yrs, $4.375 per

Draft Class:

2014: Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, Pettit, Stewart
2015: Boeser, Brisebois, Zhukenov, Neill, Gaudette, Jasek, Olson

Year 1 turnover:

OUT:
Garrison, Kesler, Santorelli, Booth, Sestito, Dalpe, Schroeder, Welsh, Lain, Pelletier, Sauve, Ferriero, Mallet
IN:
Vrbata, Miller, Bonino, Vey, Dorsett, Sbisa, McMillan, Baertschi, Sanguinetti, Pedan, Clendening, Conacher, Acton, Hamilton

Year 2 turnover:

OUT:
Bieksa, Lack, Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Bonino, Clendening, Eriksson, Conacher, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, McNally, McMillan, Defazio
IN:
Bartkowski, Prust, Sutter, Fedun, Bachman, Jones, Cracknell, Witt

==========================

Starts with S: Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Starts with H: Higgins, Hansen, Horvat
Starts with V: Vey, Virtanen, Vrbata
Starts with B: Baertstchi, Burrows
Will hit you: Kenins, Dorsett, Prust

D: Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Corrado

G: Miller, Markstrom

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He's 24. And was 22-23 for the events being discussed. Let's not make stuff up.

Bertuzzi played the exact opposite of a traditional PF game. He rarely fought, was sporadically physical, and relied mostly on his talent and puck skills.

But who cares? How does linking a player's style to his role model matter? All that matters is that he's being an effective hockey player. And he was. And yes, management should be blamed for trying to turn him into something he wasn't.

And, again, this 3/4 coaches stuff is garbage. Tortorella was hugely complimental of Kassian at the conclusion of the 13-14 season. And Kassian barely played for Ruff and Vigeault at the age of 20-21. He's had significant problems with 1 coach.

You must be joking on the bolded. I guess I missed that time Bertuzzi almost was out of the league for being too nice to a certain Avs player.

The first thing that comes up after the Moore incident for Bertuzzi is a highlight reel of him trucking people over and fighting so...

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Sporadically physical is a good way to put it actually, he was too busy trying to put points on the board

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Benning calling Prust and Sutter sore losers was probably a poor choice of words :laugh: but it is a good quality to have, especially in the playoffs.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
One of the first things that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Bertuzzi is him leveling Phaneuf in a meaningless game at the end of his last season with us. I remember thinking why the **** couldn't he do that when the games actually mattered.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I guess Benning wants a guy who will throw his elbow pad at the other team when he gets booted off the ice

then drops gold like this

“I thought the original call was kind of soft and I let him know on the way to the penalty box. He kept provoking me. He came to the box and called me every name in the book. He called me a piece of you know what, motherf’er, coward, said he’d drive me right out of this building.

“I just kept going, ‘yeah, OK, OK, OK,’ he just kept on me, kept on me...I wasn’t even looking at him, he just teed me up.

“That’s the ref he is. He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You must be joking on the bolded. I guess I missed that time Bertuzzi almost was out of the league for being too nice to a certain Avs player.

The first thing that comes up after the Moore incident for Bertuzzi is a highlight reel of him trucking people over and fighting so...

Yeah, sporadically physical. Sometimes he's snap and do something stupid ... but for the most part he was hit-and-miss about finishing his checks and played as a dangling one-way skill player.

When he hit people, it could be nasty. It didn't happen very often. Neither did him fighting. He fought 12 times in 7 years as a Canuck.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Wow.. if Bertuzzi was just sporadically physical.. is there such thing as a physical scoring PF? can ya give an example?

Yeah I don't think sporadically is the word we really want to go with here.

"If beer has never touched your lips, and you've never packed a lip, or dropped the mitts chances are you're not a hockey player, and if you are you're probably not a good one" -Todd Bertuzzi

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow.. if Bertuzzi was just sporadically physical.. is there such thing as a physical scoring PF? can ya give an example?

Yeah I don't think sporadically is the word we really want to go with here.

"If beer has never touched your lips, and you've never packed a lip, or dropped the mitts chances are you're not a hockey player, and if you are you're probably not a good one" -Todd Bertuzzi

Not to be offensive, but were you guys actually following the Canucks when Bertuzzi was here?

I was a huge Todd Bertuzzi fan. His play in the 2nd half of the 01-02 season was the best 40-game segment by any player in franchise history.

He was absolutely NOT a consistently physical player or prototypical power forward. He brought it physically more consistently in the playoffs (perhaps to the detriment of his offense) but in the regular season ... nope.

I'm astonished anyone is even arguing this, to be honest.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Not to be offensive, but were you guys actually following the Canucks when Bertuzzi was here?

I was a huge Todd Bertuzzi fan. His play in the 2nd half of the 01-02 season was the best 40-game segment by any player in franchise history.

He was absolutely NOT a consistently physical player or prototypical power forward. He brought it physically more consistently in the playoffs (perhaps to the detriment of his offense) but in the regular season ... nope.

Not to be offensive either but yeah, I watched almost every game of the WCE. I will agree to disagree but sporadic is not a term I'd use for Bertuzzi. He is my favourite player after Bure. He's the whole reason I got so excited on Kassian.

If he was inconsistently physical that makes a lot of so called powerforwards nowadays look like kittens.

I can easily say that in 01-02 there was a solid and conclusive argument to call him the best player in the world. His attributes of size and skill were absolutely astonishing.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

I'm with them. There weren't many more physical top 6 forwards than Todd Bertuzzi- just ask the dmen he battled on a night to night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not to be offensive either but yeah, I watched almost every game of the WCE. I will agree to disagree but sporadic is not a term I'd use for Bertuzzi. He is my favourite player after Bure. He's the whole reason I got so excited on Kassian.

If he was inconsistently physical that makes a lot of so called powerforwards nowadays look like kittens.

He wasn't even on the same planet of the Tkachuks/Roberts/Shanahans in terms of either 'power forward style' or physicality.

He could be a mean, physical force when he felt like it. He rarely felt like it during the regular season.

And he fought as often as Matt Cooke.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
But you are missing a number 3....that when he got back in the lineup management praised his play prior to the back injury.

You can't put that back in the bottle or at the very least you can't say they weren't telling the truth there but are with the other reasons.

The real truth, I think, is something quite simple and pretty much what to me Benning has said. Benning wanted Prust. Kassian was the asking price. He made the deal. No other explanation is needed. Had the asking price been Higgins the deal would have been made with Higgins. Same with the Sutter trade. Why did he include Clendening? Well in his own words the Pens asked for him. He specifically targetted Sutter and Prust and provided the asking price wasn't a Sedin, Horvat, Tanev, Edler, Miller or a handful of others he makes the deal.

What I'm saying is that while he had guys up on the trade block and Kassian is likely one of those guys he would have made these Prust and Sutter deals for any of those trade block guys. If the Habs wanted Higgins, Kassian would be still wearing canuck blue. Any other stuff the organization has said to me is just after the fact rationalization because acquiring Prust at the expense of Kassian was met with shock by the fan base and the hockey world.

I think you're misreading me here. I'm in full agreement that the Prust trade was all about Benning targeting Prust and nothing to do with wanting to move Kassian.

While Kassian redeemed himself by the end of the season, it was largely because injuries let him back into the lineup in particular a spot with the Sedins. Remember when he was being benched in favour of McMillan? Maybe the trade rumours were overly speculative, but as far as the coaching staff goes on Jan 1st last year he was clearly in Willie's doghouse while on Nov 30th there was no indication of any problems.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He wasn't even on the same planet of the Tkachuks/Roberts/Shanahans in terms of either 'power forward style' or physicality.

He could be a mean, physical force when he felt like it. He rarely felt like it during the regular season.

And he fought as often as Matt Cooke.

And my point is... There is no such thing as a high scoring PF that was physical all the time.

Every Shanny/Tkachuk/etc PF was 'sporadic' in how they play that part of the game.

It's a needless ridiculous attempt to disparage him. Bertuzzi could float with the best of em, and his lazy offside after offside calls are burned in my brain... but he was the prototypical physical PF you want to see your Kassian types to play like...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

Yeah this is just baffling. Talk about nostalgia, huh.

Bert was a carbon copy of Kassian really. A finesse dangling playmaker with physicality and size as a secondary attribute that was mostly used to score points.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
That's one of the reasons I was so frustrated with the Kassian trade is he had the same weird inconsistency of Bert. They both had that disappear for a few games then appear like Jesus Christ for a game and do that throughout the season. Bertuzzi really only had a season and a half as an elite power forward but he was like Kassian in that no one wanted to mess with him. People attribute the Moore punch to being his downfall but Bert was already in heavy decline before that and had "issues" throughout the first half of his career. We were stupid lucky to get a prime Luongo for him.

The difference between them is this team held onto Bert and molded him into a top line power forward who had issues but was still an elite player. Kassian we threw away for a fourth liner who's almost out of the league.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And my point is... There is no such thing as a high scoring PF that was physical all the time.

Every Shanny/Tkachuk/etc PF was 'sporadic' in how they play that part of the game.

It's a needless ridiculous attempt to disparage him. Bertuzzi could float with the best of em, and his lazy offside after offside calls are burned in my brain... but he was the prototypical physical PF you want to see your Kassian types to play like...

I'm not disparaging him at all. He used to be my favourite player. He was consistently awesome offensively for 1.5 years. He was the best hockey player on the planet for awhile in 2002.

But anyone arguing he was a 'prototypical power forward' or 'consistently physical' is just completely out to lunch.

He had some great physical 'moments', but he was always an enigma in terms of physical play. Except in terms of facewashing guys in scrums. He was great at that.

And offensively, he was a dangly, high-risk player, not even remotely a straight-lines rugged stereotypical PF.

Yeah this is just baffling. Talk about nostalgia, huh.

Yeah ... it's like people only remember the youtube videos or something?

He did try to play a more typical PF game in the playoffs, and maybe people remember that? I'm at a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad