• Trade Huberdeau

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep Huberdeau

Votes: 80 81.6%

• Total voters

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What dumbass GM is taking 6 years of Huberdeau without knowing if he has chemistry with their players? This guy looks terrible unless he gets linemates that fit him perfectly.
Wasnt the other issue -- game styles in west vs east,,?

Agreed. If Huberdeau returns to 100 points he should be easily moveable if they retain him down to $8m-$9m.
I disagree. His age is factor in this. This is why I wish retention could change by years instead of being a flat amt

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Wasnt the other issue -- game styles in west vs east,,?

Style of play is definitely a big factor for him but he's had trouble finding centers he can play with his entire career. Florida fans said he was only really good with Barkov and Bennett. Him and Lindholm might be one of the worst center/winger pairs I've seen a team try to force together.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I disagree. His age is factor in this. This is why I wish retention could change by years instead of being a flat amt

Far far far far too much room for abuse. (Did I say “far” enough times?)

I think the NHL locking in retention at a fixed % is one of their smarter moves.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Far far far far too much room for abuse. (Did I say “far” enough times?)

I think the NHL locking in retention at a fixed % is one of their smarter moves.
It depends on how its defined.

Like with hubrrdeau... you say I dont want anything retained this year but 50% the final year and the years in between is linearly calculated 0%,10%,20%,...,50%. The issue is it cant exceed 50% total retention.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Style of play is definitely a big factor for him but he's had trouble finding centers he can play with his entire career. Florida fans said he was only really good with Barkov and Bennett. Him and Lindholm might be one of the worst center/winger pairs I've seen a team try to force together.
Huberdeau did not have issues with linemates here. He produced best with Barrkov and Bennett (two radically different centers) but also put up numbers next to Trocheck and briefly Wennberg. His RW changed every season, and Owen Tippett is the only one who jumps to mind as a guy who didn’t gel. Duclair, Dadonov, Hoffman, Vatrano…all fine.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Huberdeau did not have issues with linemates here. He produced best with Barrkov and Bennett (two radically different centers) but also put up numbers next to Trocheck and briefly Wennberg. His RW changed every season, and Owen Tippett is the only one who jumps to mind as a guy who didn’t gel. Duclair, Dadonov, Hoffman, Vatrano…all fine.

I've heard from plenty of Panthers fans that he had trouble with linemates outside of Barkov and Bennett/Duclar line his entire career there. Maybe the style of play made it easier to mask.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
There is no Huberdeau dilema.

He is a Flame and will be for the foreseeable future. The Flames are not retaining to dump him for a paltry return, and teams aren't going to trade for him at his age and salary unless he has an exceptional season and they get him at a bargain (in terms of trade value).

As for the terrible, terrible offer in the OP... Conroy laughs and since it's clearly a f***ing joke of an offer, his response would be... "We Huberdon't accept."

Ledge And Dairy

It depends on how its defined.

Like with hubrrdeau... you say I dont want anything retained this year but 50% the final year and the years in between is linearly calculated 0%,10%,20%,...,50%. The issue is it cant exceed 50% total retention.
No you are thinking so backwards on this. It's super abusable if you retain a lot early and then less later on. A team entering a rebuild can eat a bunch of cap on retention while they are bottoming out and then the cap is off their books when they need the cap space. Vise versa, the buying team would get the star when they are still in their prime at 50% when they are pushing for a cup, and then take on the full cap hit when they start rebuilding

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If I'm Calgary, I'd rather take a contract like Jarry, Merzlikins, Grubauer, Kuemper, Graves, Copp, Engvall, Ristolainen, Krug, Vlasic or maybe even Nurse, with no retention, as opposed to retaining on Huberdeau.

No matter how bad the contract, or 2 bad contracts, eat it / them at 0% retention but also retain 0% on Huberdeau.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
You are Craig Conroy.

At the TDL, you are going in the playoffs, and somehow, against all odds, Huberdeau is back to form this year, and projects to have 100 points at the end of the year.

In the morning, you receive an offer, for Huberdeau, from a top contender, who wants to go all in:

Calgary trade:
Jonathan Huberdeau (retention: 50% - so Calgary Flames have to retain 5 250 000 for another 6 years)

for

1st 2025 + 3rd 2025 + 2nd 2026
And that's it's a final offer. The other GM already has another deal on the table, and while he'd prefer to take on Huberdeau, he ain't ready to change the structure of this offer.

Do you take on the offer, or do you reject it?

It means basically that either:

- Calgary announce to their fans and their players that the "Suck Era" is about to begin right now and have a sweet little package of late picks to kickstart the day but they'll have a 5 250 000M in deadweight money on the cap and a retention spot taken

or

- Calgary roll the dices with Huberdeau and his contract (which is pretty much unanimously recognized as the second worst contract in the league right now) for the next 6 years

So let me get this straight. In your scenario, the Flames are in a playoff spot, Huberdeau is back to being a 100 point star player, another top contender is going all in and wants to make a trade to acquire him, and all that the Flames get for retaining half the contract for 6 years is a low 1st, a low 3rd, and a 2nd the following year? That's a dog shit offer brother guy. Give your head a shake lol.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No you are thinking so backwards on this. It's super abusable if you retain a lot early and then less later on. A team entering a rebuild can eat a bunch of cap on retention while they are bottoming out and then the cap is off their books when they need the cap space. Vise versa, the buying team would get the star when they are still in their prime at 50% when they are pushing for a cup, and then take on the full cap hit when they start rebuilding
I'm talking in reverse

My concern in hubs is the look at Years of tjhecontract.if I acquire him I'll say I'm fine paying him full this year but want future years tetained down to 50% in final year. If he has 6 yrd left its 0,10,20 30,40,50 in terms of retained salary. For simple math thud wold br if his cap was $10M then 10M on my iPad sp this year, then following yrs its 9,8,7,6,5M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad