Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Outside of Broberg, the speedy guys are in a slump as well.

Mcleod 1 in 4 games
Holloway 1 in 3 games
Foegele 0 in 3 games

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Avalanche have also started the season 0-3. Funny we don't see or hear anything about that

Sky is not falling just yet people. Relax give it some time.

Flames are 3-0. They will be a lottery team by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Mcleod 1 in 4 games
Holloway 1 in 3 games
Foegele 0 in 3 games

Its not all about points, its about creating a balanced and cohesive line-up thorughout the team.

Eye-test easily says we are really missing all three of those guys speed and def missing Holloway and Foegele's tenacity on the forecheck. Lot of redudant slow players throughout the line up right now.

Reactions: guymez

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks for the response.
Yah that's more what I was wondering. Given his draft status and just the fact I haven't paid close enough attention I wondered if he kinda became more of a glue guy who filled in defensively for his more offense first line mates or what.

When he came in was he lacking the D part of his game and just over coached to over emphasize it now?
Nuge just isn’t a huge force offensively 5 on 5. He never really has been. He makes up for it by being good defensively and elite on both special teams.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Avalanche have also started the season 0-3. Funny we don't see or hear anything about that

Sky is not falling outsole. Relax give it some time.

Flames are 3-0. They will be a lottery team by the end of the year.
I believe everything will be just fine too and agree with everything you said.
the only difference between us and Colorado is that Colorado wasn't picked by everyone to win the cup

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I believe everything will be just fine too and agree with everything you said.
the only difference between us and Colorado is that Colorado wasn't picked by everyone to win the cup
No, but should still be a top 10 team in the league. Just like us goaltending is and will be there Achilles

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
No, but should still be a top 10 team in the league. Just like us goaltending is and will be there Achilles
I don't think goaltending is our problem, right now, our defense is lost, resulting in a lot of good chances against. We are also in some sort of weird funk where we cant seem to score. Im not too worried about our scoring, we have enough talent to overcome that but the defense does concern me a little. again, its early though. theres a good chance that in a month this will all be just a blip on the radar.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Nurse makes almost as much as Hyman and RNH combined

Ok.

But we all know he sucks. We all also know that he’s not going anywhere because nobody wants a terrible player making 9.25 million for the next half a decade on their team.

Hence why bitching about him is folly.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ok.

But we all know he sucks. We all also know that he’s not going anywhere because nobody wants a terrible player making 9.25 million for the next half a decade on their team.

Hence why bitching about him is folly.
Nurse, RNH and Hyman all have NMC. We can complain about them all day when they suck

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

They don't have much of a team after their #1 line anymore.

Their bottom 9 is:

Wood - Mittelstadt - Ritchie
Kovalenko - Kelly - O'Connor
Ivan - Wagner - Kiviranta

Their D stinks too, after the top pair its

Girard - Manson
Ludvig - Malinski

Their team reminds me quite a bit of the 2017-19 Oilers where we had McDavid and Draisaitl and literally nobody else. They aren't very good. They have some injury woes at the moment, but I don't think it really changes their outlook a lot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They don't have much of a team after their #1 line anymore.

Their bottom 9 is:

Wood - Mittelstadt - Ritchie
Kovalenko - Kelly - O'Connor
Ivan - Wagner - Kiviranta

Their D stinks too, after the top pair its

Girard - Manson
Ludvig - Malinski

Their team reminds me quite a bit of the 2017-19 Oilers where we had McDavid and Draisaitl and literally nobody else. They aren't very good. They have some injury woes at the moment, but I don't think it really changes their outlook a lot.
To be fair they have a lot of big guys out.

Lehkonen, Toews, Drouin, Nichushkin with his coke thing, Landeskog in limbo.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To be fair they have a lot of big guys out.

Lehkonen, Toews, Drouin, Nichushkin with his coke thing, Landeskog in limbo.

I don't really consider Landeskog and Nichushkin part of the equation there anymore.

Drouin, Toews and Lehkonen are players for sure, but they're still kind of a 1.5 line and 1.5 D pair team even with those guys playing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't really consider Landeskog and Nichushkin part of the equation there anymore.

Drouin, Toews and Lehkonen are players for sure, but they're still kind of a 1.5 line and 1.5 D pair team even with those guys playing.
Yeah they’ve been that way for a couple years though and still got results in the reg season. Probably a lot of mental stuff going on like our team.

Reactions: K1984

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I don't think goaltending is our problem, right now, our defense is lost, resulting in a lot of good chances against. We are also in some sort of weird funk where we cant seem to score. Im not too worried about our scoring, we have enough talent to overcome that but the defense does concern me a little. again, its early though. theres a good chance that in a month this will all be just a blip on the radar.
Skinner has a gaa of 5.39 and save percentage of .805 while Picard is sporting a 4.19 gaa and .778 save percentage and you don't think goaltending is an issue???

Reactions: TB12

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Skinner has a gaa of 5.39 and save percentage of .805 while Picard is sporting a 4.19 gaa and .778 save percentage and you don't think goaltending is an issue???
Look at the chances against. GAA and save percentage don’t always tell the whole story.
If opponents are allowed to do whatever they want in the offensive zone, the best goalies will have poor numbers

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Mcleod 1 in 4 games
Holloway 1 in 3 games
Foegele 0 in 3 games
McLeod and Foegele (and Holloway) arent offensive players.
Their utility (looking more at McLeod and Foegele here) primarily lies in their ability to defend especially on the PK. Speed really helps that ability.

So I think that this team does (now) have a deficit of speed and solid PK players.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Look at the chances against. GAA and save percentage don’t always tell the whole story.
If opponents are allowed to do whatever they want in the offensive zone, the best goalies will have poor numbers
Another year of defending goaltending i see when it's well know it's been are Achilles for what 10 years ?

Skinner is very capable of being a #1 goalie when he is on he oa fantastic. But when he is off he is brutal. There is no consistency and no in between he is one or the other. To me that shows a goaltendimg coach issue which we have all known to be an issue for the last decade as well. Until Schwartz is gone expect no change in goaltending

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Another year of defending goaltending i see when it's well know it's been are Achilles for what 10 years ?

Skinner is very capable of being a #1 goalie when he is on he oa fantastic. But when he is off he is brutal. There is no consistency and no in between he is one or the other. To me that shows a goaltendimg coach issue which we have all known to be an issue for the last decade as well. Until Schwartz is gone expect no change in goaltending
I could just as easily (and probably more accurately) say that the teams approach to defense has been the Achilles heel for 10 PLUS years.
Does this roster win the cup with Adin Hill and Laurent Brossoit in goal? I doubt it. But Vegas did

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree.
Goaltending has to be better BUT its not a primary issue right now.

That said the one potential issue with this teams goaltending is that its average. A team can win with average goaltending but average goaltending rarely covers for other deficits. So when the defence falls off as badly as is has with this team (and that seems to happen quite a bit) then the goaltending cant compensate enough to cover for it. So not having a top 10 goalie makes a bigger difference for a team that tries to outscore its mistakes. Thats what this team does from time to time.
Teams that dont have the offensive talent this team does dont fall into that trap. They know that not playing solid defence usually means that they will lose.
This team routinely falls into the trap because they can (some of the time) outscore their defensive sloppiness.
The D zone coverage has been brutal the first 3 games and that absolutely has to be cleaned up.
Having a less than average defence is going to make that a bigger challenge than it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I could just as easily (and probably more accurately) say that the teams approach to defense has been the Achilles heel for 10 PLUS years.
Does this roster win the cup with Adin Hill and Laurent Brossoit in goal? I doubt it. But Vegas did
Vegas is a good example of how to win with average goaltending.

That was hard to post because I cant stand Vegas. :madfire:
I feel like I need a shower now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad