Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
at this rate with the lucky they've been giving, no team will be interested in trading us a Dman at the deadline regardless of cap space.

It's still the right call. We just need to get in the playoffs, don't need to be in the division lead or win the presidents trophy. 3 games in it looks like Broberg and Halloway are not worth the contracts and Ceci looks like ceci. They wouldn't have been helping us this year or making a difference.

all theshit people having been giving the Emberson so far, imagine if it was Broberg making 4.6 mil....they are impacting the teams the same way. People would be insane over broberg
I forgot about that scenario. Every year we need at least 1 piece and no team wants to trade us that unless we massively overpay.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The difference 5 days makes, we went from sky high to rock bottom. I mean, wow…..

IMG_4734.jpeg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Boy did that turn sour in a hurry. But man his fancies were so good in San Jose.

Bottom of the standings already. Woof.

Not bad here either. He has a league worst 0.692 PDO. Which is his on ice sav%. Hasn’t been on the ice for a goal for yet. 66.5% xGF. 81% high danger chances. But nothing but bad happened on the score sheet.

Quite the story book start to Emberson’s Oilers career

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I know nobody will waste their time looking it up (including me), but I wonder how many cup contenders have a lot of players under 25/26 when they are in their window and close to the end of it.

Where are we with Perry and Ryan off the roster? Probably not "the oldest team in the league"
Can't answer you off the top of my head but in terms of past dynasties, when teams first won the cup during an extended run:

In 1984-- I believe that Gretzky and Messier were both 23.

In 1981-- Mike Bossy of the Islanders was around 22 and I think Bryan Trottier was about 25?

In 1976-- Guy Lafleur would be around 26

In 1955 Jean Beliveau was around 25.

In 1991 Lemieux was 25 or 26. Jagr was still a teenager.

In 1967 all of the Maple Leafs were getting up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
If RNH and Hyman keep playing like this our cup window is closed. Being an older team that keeps getting hammered by other teams with no response is not a good look. Do what you have to to add a guy like Kostin.

The reffing was beyond atrocious, but I think the physical play took its toll on us as well.
We definitely need some roster changes

- More speed
- RHD
- Goalie

The question is what do we add?

In all honesty I think think team will be better at the end of the day. Arvidsson and Skinner will turn out being huge. You can already see it.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I have liked Arvidsson and Skinner. Look better than most of the forwards. Perry and Ryan have looked good.

Look at Florida boys. Beating BOS 4-2 and don't even have SLASHA Barkov and Tkachuk in the lineup

They have somehow been playing with urgency in their games and they have made 2 finals in a row

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I have said this before..this is the most bizarre team I have cheered for. At this point you cannot keep blaming coaches. It has to be mental..they are not this bad they have too much talent. Mcdavid is as bad as I have ever seen him . Until that chages this team isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Losing three in a row to start the season with two of those coming to potential lottery teams by a combined score of 15-3 is a very big cause for concern. These aren’t 3-2 shootout losses. They’re getting their asses kicked.

Of course it's a cause for concern, but there is a lot of people going way overboard here. I mean the team is shooting in the 3% range. There's been no team in history. Who's ever shot under 6.5%.

You can acknowledge that the team is playing poorly without thinking that the entire roster construction is off. Good teams play poorly

Reactions: Oilslick941611

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Of course it's a cause for concern, but there is a lot of people going way overboard here. I mean the team is shooting in the 3% range. There's been no team in history. Who's ever shot under 6.5%.

You can acknowledge that the team is playing poorly without thinking that the entire roster construction is off. Good teams play poorly
It is basically the exact start thus far as last year with a small sample size.

Can't score worth a lick. Getting lots of chances and cannot finish. Not getting good goaltending as a whole. Pk terrible. Leaky D. Our dmen have a hard time just ying guys up in front of the net and losing players coming in as a trailer.

They will turn it around, but the questions is, what is their rock bottom?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If RNH and Hyman keep playing like this our cup window is closed. Being an older team that keeps getting hammered by other teams with no response is not a good look. Do what you have to to add a guy like Kostin.

The reffing was beyond atrocious, but I think the physical play took its toll on us as well.
Nuge got slack from me last season for having a real dropoff because he had a monster season the year before.

Conversely Hyman overperformed so ridiculously in regular season and playoffs last season that he gets a ton of slack from me now.

Hyman not only overperformed last season he did so by around 200percent of what should have been expected. Hyman willed himself to superstar levels giving every drop of blood for 105 games last season. Of course there was gonna be appreciable drop off with Hyman. We will need that 30 or more goals from Skinner just to compensate.

its the thing though is last couple seasons we've had players dig so deep that the "dig in" thing this year I feel was really missing the point. All these guys already gave at the office, and the core have been doing that for years. When McD, Drai, Ekholm, Nuge, Hyman all look tired and struggling early in season you wonder how much the toll of several years has been. or in the case of McDrai a decade.

I don't know Hyman will ever have a year anything like that ever again. He was brought in here as a 20something goal 40some pt guy. I think 25-25 this year is plausible from Hyman.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I agree its not a big issue to lose 3 in row to start, if we win the next game its basically the same the as the start last year, in an 82 game schedule 0-3 is almost meaningless.

The concerning part is the lack of battle from our top guys. All the arguing over the off season and pre season about Defense being the issue look pretty silly when the team is scoring a goal a game. We do however miss Ceci and Kane. That much is obvious. I hoe Kane isn't out for the whole season. His grit is much needed.

I think it was Strudwick that said this but he pointed out that it is a lot easier to perform well when your only objective is to work hard. That is why we see the bottom six performing pretty well.

When you think about the top six, there is a lot more to it than just sound structure. It requires much more to produce, and rust is going to show way more on that end of the lineup. Same with defense.

We've had a third of the top 6 overhauled and 2 d men have brand new pairings.

There is a better chance than not that the issues simply take time to resolve rather than the roster construction just being poor.

This will not last, much like it didn't last year

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Like we couldn't use this? I f***ing love Klim Kostin.

lol matching penalties. Knocks the guy out with a one hand southpaw and matching penalties. I'm still laughing.

Would like him back as an oiler.

Even though we lost last night I thought we played our best game which isn't saying much but 3 posts and 2 called of goals. Could have been a different game. Refs were shit on the 2 Skinner goalie penalties. Our breakdowns were not good. And Stu needs to make a couple of those saves.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
We asked the SITUATION ROOM if Perry was actually in the crease.

Their response was "Well you see, Cory grew up in a middle class family without a lot of extra room..."

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I mean the team is shooting in the 3% range.
That's not bad luck, this team has no offensive creativity at the moment. We rarely generate rush chances and our main strategy on the cycle is to get it back to the d-man for a point shot and "hope something good happens".

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Like we couldn't use this? I f***ing love Klim Kostin.

lol matching penalties. Knocks the guy out with a one hand southpaw and matching penalties. I'm still laughing.

I just wish we could have afforded him. He’s an identity player, cares about his teammates and doesn’t back down. Doesn’t wilt in the playoffs, he raises his level. Fans love him too, not sure exactly how well he’s received by his teammates though.

Has a wicked shot too.

I like pretty much every player on the Oilers roster but we’re missing feistiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad