Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don’t gamble. Especially on a sport where the rules change hourly and even the players and coaches don’t understand them.
I don't ever gamble either. Hyman post game was interesting. "I'm a bad one to ask, I don't understand the interference rules, don't understand them at all"

Concur that the one play wasn't interference. Vladar also took himself out of position trying to hack Perry back. Dumb call. Should've been Oilers game and PP, not that our PP is anything so far.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't ever gamble either. Hyman post game was interesting. "I'm a bad one to ask, I don't understand the interference rules, don't understand them at all"

Concur that the one play wasn't interference. Vladar also took himself out of position trying to hack Perry back. Dumb call. Should've been Oilers game and PP, not that our PP is anything so far.
That was 100% a goal and the NHL’s explanation was a joke. If being a “significant” presence in the crease caused a goal to be disallowed then 20% of all goals last year shouldn’t have counted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I can honestly say the losses don't bother me, what bothers me was the two handler on Skinner, The hit on McDavid and Drai and NO ONE responded. Just a flat wet fart.

This team is flat and we aren't what most thought. McDavid in particular has been disappointing, if he isn't going we have nothing and Leon looks disinterested as well. No amount of depth will help and D isn't our most pressing issue. The dried up offense is.
The goals will come. But the boys standing at the bus stop was a predictable thing. Just look at the roster. Jackson went for maxing out skill and experience instead of a mix of players you need in a lineup. Its interesting as well that a Calgary team that already has some donkeys and toughs goes out and gets a Lomberg. They already had some grit, they figured they needed more. Jackson figures its something you don't even need. Guess team toughness doesn't show on analytics.

Soon as Calgary started leaning on the Oilers and taking liberties as I said they would they started to take the game over. Just like our first two games.

Do people really think McD, Drai, Skinner, RV, Hyman were happy being run once again yesterday? They were all belted with huge hits and our stars have been EVERY game. Its hard to even stay healthy at this rate. We're losing the games, physical battles and losing the trenches every time out.

The team will soon come back to outscoring some of these problems but the lack of grit is unrecoverable with our cap and roster. It just isn't there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Was saying this in real time. Oilers really ought to have never gone at RV, Skinner debatable, and should've just focused on sealing proper deals with Broberg and Holloway. Not sure why it couldn't be Foegele for Savoie either. I like obtaining Savoie but if we're just parking him in minors we got nothing.

Heres a list of players we lost. Holloway, Broberg, Foegele, McLeod, Carrick, Ceci whatever ones opinion of those players is the ones we got in replacement are not that much. I think only Skinner is looking any good, at least producing. He's still gonna be high GA.

We also lost a good prospect like Lavoie and refuse to use any of our other prospects. To me yesterday it looked like an old club running out of gas half way through the game. They were running Calgary out in first 25mins but couldn't seem to continue that.

Jackson got big name attached and went on fishing trips in offseason instead of looking after our own. What kind of message does it send to any of our prospects that we value a Corey Perry more than them?

I think Skinner, whose looking better each game and was our teams best player last night, may be a good fit with McDavid. Arvidsson I think is miscast as a winger for Draisaitl. He’s now a 3rd line player who would be a good fit with Henrique than with Draisaitl perhaps.

The mystery of why this team starts slow to start new seasons, slow to start in many games and slow to start in almost every playoff series is a riddle wrapped in an enigma encased in a dilemma. Like how they get the filling into the Cadbury bars or the secret recipe to Coca-Cola, I’m not sure anyone knows.

Given the shooting percentage is at 3% and the leadership corps is playing at half speed with near zero intensity there is hope for optimism that they find their game.

For me the real gamble is if the D can hold. Right now they look like the Keystone Kops, can’t make a pass to save their lives with a low panic threshold. Defending and headmanning the puck are feats they seem incapable of doing effectively right now and I am not sure it changes with the personnel we have back there.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Team doesn't want to put in the work, can't skill your way to a win.
McDavid's effort on the Anderson goal is a microcosm of what is wrong, you couldn't put in a worse effort.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The goals will come. But the boys standing at the bus stop was a predictable thing. Just look at the roster. Jackson went for maxing out skill and experience instead of a mix of players you need in a lineup. Its interesting as well that a Calgary team that already has some donkeys and toughs goes out and gets a Lomberg. They already had some grit, they figured they needed more. Jackson figures its something you don't even need. Guess team toughness doesn't show on analytics.

Soon as Calgary started leaning on the Oilers and taking liberties as I said they would they started to take the game over. Just like our first two games.

Do people really think McD, Drai, Skinner, RV, Hyman were happy being run once again yesterday? They were all belted with huge hits and our stars have been EVERY game. Its hard to even stay healthy at this rate. We're losing the games, physical battles and losing the trenches every time out.

The team will soon come back to outscoring some of these problems but the lack of grit is unrecoverable with our cap and roster. It just isn't there.
I wonder if they bring up Josh Brown for some toughness

they can't get any worse defensively

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
f***, I already seen too much turkeys on the weekend, thanks Oilers, now I'm making Turkey dinner and will be eating Turkey all week. Please no more Turkeys on Tuesdays Oilers. I'll be all stuffed and filled up.

1728924339980.png

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Can’t beat the refs. Plans be simple, they control the momentum of the game.
This is the biggest reason right here why my interest in the NHL is now pretty much zero. I’ve said it several times before, but all I have to do is look at the officiating pairing before the game and can pretty much tell how it’s going to go. Kendrick Nicholson and Eric Furlatt was all I needed to see that the Flames would be getting all the calls (in their favor, like the called back goal) and non-calls and what do you know.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
who would've thought that the Oilers, Avs, and Preds would be in the basement to start the season?
One of these is not like the others. Who even thinks of the Preds ever?

You mean the team that folded games ridiculously against the Nucks? Letting vancouver score piles of goals in last minute to come back every game? f*** that team. Still dislike them for letting Nucks advance. Would rather have faced the no talent preds.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I can honestly say the losses don't bother me, what bothers me was the two handler on Skinner, The hit on McDavid and Drai and NO ONE responded. Just a flat wet fart.

This team is flat and we aren't what most thought. McDavid in particular has been disappointing, if he isn't going we have nothing and Leon looks disinterested as well. No amount of depth will help and D isn't our most pressing issue. The dried up offense is.

Can guarantee you that through 3.6% of the season, the ONLY people who have changed their thoughts on what the Oilers are are Oilers fans themselves, particularly ones who overreact to stuff like this.

If the Oilers start the season 15-10 or something and then lose 3 games in a row, it's hardly as big of an issue as people are playing it out to be right now. But the fact they lose their first 3 games makes it seem bigger than the team losing 3 games in a row at ANY time during the season. But the reality is it isn't.

You ask the vast majority of pundits who picked the Oilers to win the cup this year a couple weeks ago I would bet nearly every single one of them picks the Oilers yet again. But you ask an emotional Oilers fan and this team is destined for the basement.

Reactions: TB12

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I've never seen McDavid get hit and pushed around like this year.
Seems teams defence strategy has changed to slow up McDavid and it works.

Maybe he is out of game shape and doesn't avoid like before?

Anyway McDavid is far from being a force.
he obviously took most of the summer off, and rightfully so, but I would have expected him to get his legs and hands back by now

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is the biggest reason right here why my interest in the NHL is now pretty much zero. I’ve said it several times before, but all I have to do is look at the officiating pairing before the game and can pretty much tell how it’s going to go. Kendrick Nicholson and Eric Furlatt was all I needed to see that the Flames would be getting all the calls (in their favor, like the called back goal) and non-calls and what do you know.
Early in the game McD makes an end to end rush, gets a shot off, the puck is long off his stick, and somehow he gets stapled into the end boards, and somehow thats allowed because its some Oilers hating refs. McD was trying to get explanation how that was allowed. Later in game McD explained the same thing and Drai did too. The Oilers players practically carrying around the rule book that in the NHL doesn't exist because NHL...

I mean these are your top playes getting stapled and possibly injured on late hits. By scrubs, and the refs just getting their rocks off. Small people wanting to feel more important than the game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Can guarantee you that through 3.6% of the season, the ONLY people who have changed their thoughts on what the Oilers are are Oilers fans themselves, particularly ones who overreact to stuff like this.

If the Oilers start the season 15-10 or something and then lose 3 games in a row, it's hardly as big of an issue as people are playing it out to be right now. But the fact they lose their first 3 games makes it seem bigger than the team losing 3 games in a row at ANY time during the season. But the reality is it isn't.

You ask the vast majority of pundits who picked the Oilers to win the cup this year a couple weeks ago I would bet nearly every single one of them picks the Oilers yet again. But you ask an emotional Oilers fan and this team is destined for the basement.
Losing three in a row to start the season with two of those coming to potential lottery teams by a combined score of 15-3 is a very big cause for concern. These aren’t 3-2 shootout losses. They’re getting their asses kicked.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
One of these is not like the others. Who even thinks of the Preds ever?

You mean the team that folded games ridiculously against the Nucks? Letting vancouver score piles of goals in last minute to come back every game? f*** that team. Still dislike them for letting Nucks advance. Would rather have faced the no talent preds.
Steve Stamkos?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

I agree its not a big issue to lose 3 in row to start, if we win the next game its basically the same the as the start last year, in an 82 game schedule 0-3 is almost meaningless.

The concerning part is the lack of battle from our top guys. All the arguing over the off season and pre season about Defense being the issue look pretty silly when the team is scoring a goal a game. We do however miss Ceci and Kane. That much is obvious. I hoe Kane isn't out for the whole season. His grit is much needed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
he obviously took most of the summer off, and rightfully so, but I would have expected him to get his legs and hands back by now
Its harder when you're getting rocked and brains scrambled every game receiving hellacious hits.

Heres a rundown.

Oilers to NHL DOPS and head office: So you mean you're going to call star hunting this season and this year and it won't be open season again on our stars?

DOPS: Oh yeah, we saw the Basketball ratings, we gotta let our stars do the thing and shine up the game. We gots yer back!

Oilers: OK, then we're just gonna add more skill players and nor worry about enforcers and grit.

DOPS: Sounds like a good plan, Oilers gonna Oiler.

Oilers: Um, what?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
what bothers me was the two handler on Skinner, The hit on McDavid and Drai and NO ONE responded. Just a flat wet fart.
Hopefully people will start realizing how critical Kane has been to the success of this club. And he scores too.

Agree with your points (especially the hack at Skinner) although I thought the Draisaitl hit (if we are thinking of the same one) was mostly self inflicted. To me the biggest hit in the game was on Arvidsson. Poor bastard got absolutely pasted trying to slip down the right wing with speed. He bounced several feet off the boards. I missed who it was that delivered the hit, but it was hellacious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad