Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
IMG_1966.jpeg

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Flyers are another young determined team with some talent that can make you pay fast if you are sloppy.

Should be a repeat I imagine.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Do you think it's a coincidence that the same problems have plagued us for years? Poor starts, uninspired defensive play, huffing their own farts when the media pumps them up and in turn self destructing. All through multiple coaches too.

And don't even get me started on that f***ing tantrum in the finals. That wasn't inspiring anybody. Seriously, if you saw Tkachuk saying that to his team after game 6, you'd think he was a crying baby and that we had it in the bag. But Connor does it and everybody sucks him off and acts like he is the second coming of Messier, even with nothing on the scoresheet in games 6/7 in the biggest series of his life.

What are the signs he is a great leader for this team? Maybe he is a lead by example type, but if so it's apparent that isn't what this team needs, because we keep making the same mistakes year after year.

Do I think anybody in the org will ever even hint at a leadership change? f*** no. But at this point, I'm not sure we shouldn't be questioning his leadership.
One critique I would have is that McD mainspring is wound too tight. This impacts sometimes his play on ice, how he is on a team, and how he might be in the room at times. Generally it can be difficult to be around somebody super mercurial like that. On the other hand its that kind of fire that is the ingredient for some superstars. Has to do with how they channel emotions, challenges, even failures. With the Alpha's Like McD or Mess they channel it with anger. But that can make others nervous and holding sticks tightly etc. Some players have struggled a bit with McD. You need a certain degree of affable and self confidence to be around it. Hyman perfect I guess in that regard. I don't know that Nuge always loves the fire. He's a cerebral guy and the fire and brimstone might get him off his game.

Drai sometimes is a good elixir for McD. But Drai also guilty of being far too serious at times and not in a way that gets results. Generally this club plays a lot better when feeling good emotionally. Right now they feel stress. Not as much as last year according to KK, but its there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
One critique I would have is that McD mainspring is wound too tight. This impacts sometimes his play on ice, how he is on a team, and how he might be in the room at times. Generally it can be difficult to be around somebody super mercurial like that. On the other hand its that kind of fire that is the ingredient for some superstars. Has to do with how they channel emotions, challenges, even failures. With the Alpha's Like McD or Mess they channel it with anger. But that can make others nervous and holding sticks tightly etc. Some players have struggled a bit with McD. You need a certain degree of affable and self confidence to be around it. Hyman perfect I guess in that regard. I don't know that Nuge always loves the fire. He's a cerebral guy and the fire and brimstone might get him off his game.

Drai sometimes is a good elixir for McD. But Drai also guilty of being far too serious at times and not in a way that gets results. Generally this club plays a lot better when feeling good emotionally. Right now they feel stress. Not as much as last year according to KK, but its there.
I blame marriage. These guys were better when they weren’t engaged/married.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Living here in Oregon now, I bought the ESPN+ hockey package so I could see Oilers hockey. . Of course it doesn’t include the NHL network and I couldn’t watch the game tonight. At first I was irritated but thank holy hell that I didn’t have to see another loss to a lowly team. And the friggen Llames.

Jeezus we are bad.

Old. Slow. Can’t score. Can’t save. Can’t penalty kill. Yay we are #1 to win the cup this year lololol. We need to cancel the team’s social media subscriptions.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Leon hasn’t been bad so far. Some bad puck luck but he’s been skating and being aggressive.
He’s been bad. Don’t kid yourself. Forced passes on the PP leading to lost possession again and again. Tied with Emberson for second worse +/- on the team so far. Only 5 SOG in spite of getting all the gravy minutes. Takes a stupid penalty tonight. Again. And his own zone play has not been as wonderful as you make it sound. Check the clip of the Kirkland goal posted up thread. The goal isn’t on him obviously, but I can’t call that good defending either. Seen similar in many of his shifts so far. Being better than RNH and Hyman who look atrocious isn’t much to brag about.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Living here in Oregon now, I bought the ESPN+ hockey package so I could see Oilers hockey. . Of course it doesn’t include the NHL network and I couldn’t watch the game tonight. At first I was irritated but thank holy hell that I didn’t have to see another loss to a lowly team. And the friggen Llames.

Jeezus we are bad.

Old. Slow. Can’t score. Can’t save. Can’t penalty kill. Yay we are #1 to win the cup this year lololol. We need to cancel the team’s social media subscriptions.
Vegas oddsmakers didn’t know the beast they were up against with the Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Just got home. First of all that was one of the most atrociously reffed games I’ve seen. Yes, in this case it did impact the game, but also shouldn’t have been the deterministic factor.

I absolutely refuse to absolve any part of this teams play by blaming the officiating. Every single aspect of the team is crap right now, really, really bad. The d are struggling, and the forwards are just a train wreck in their own zone and all too willing to sell out by flying the zone leaving their struggling d isolated and in tough situations. The offense is just bad, flat out. They complety lack any consistent flow, miss so many passes it’s unbelievable and after the second disallowed goal they just quit. In a tied game, in front of their home crowd. They lack urgency and pace, the best case in point was the three on one after the kill, you could see from Center ice in they would get caught on that play. That puck needs to get headmanned to the front guy who can push the pace.

Will they recover and make the playoffs? Most likely. But right now it’s not a good sight out there and like last year you can quickly bury yourself which means you have to expend way more energy and effort to reel in the pack, and that costs you in game 7, which will be on the road if this keeps up too long. Really disappointed in the franchise right now.

Get to go and do it all again Tuesday. Yippee.
October tickets are seldom a good idea here. Especially given they are expensive with people paying higher prices to see games early when the season is still a novelty. Never been much for early season games. Its not at all when the best hockey is played, not close to it. Talent teams also typically take more time to get game together. So that the fiction that happens every damn season is that some of the skill teams struggle early in season and meat and potato teams with a simpler game are able to get to their game quicker. No reason for panic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He’s been bad. Don’t kid yourself. Forced passes on the PP leading to lost possession again and again. Tied with Emberson for second worse +/- on the team so far. Only 5 SOG in spite of getting all the gravy minutes. Takes a stupid penalty tonight. Again. And his own zone play has not been as wonderful as you make it sound. Check the clip of the Kirkland goal posted up thread. The goal isn’t on him obviously, but I can’t call that good defending either. Seen similar in many of his shifts so far. Being better than RNH and Hyman who look atrocious isn’t much to brag about.
Tonight Leon was bad. Especially in all zone responsibility.

Not sure if its helping that the Macblender is out as much as it is.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Of the big players he’s been by far the best so far.

But I agree in a broader sense; it’s a problem when Jeff Skinner has been your most consistent forward.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Expected this result with the lethargic work rate to start the season. The Oilers look like they are playing in quicksand - slow, dump and chase with no puck retrieval, and a sloppy, leaky own zone defending with shitty goaltending behind them. The top line doesn't have breakaway speed and is showing little in game spark to drive team lethargic. Upping Bouchard's minutes to help a piss poor penalty kill is a risky proposition to overplay their offensive weapon or risk injury.

It's always salt in the eye to lose to Calgary. To watch this team limp dick its way into this season is frustration. Not just one area misfiring but all phases of their game is substandard to start this season.

Reactions: Duke74

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
October tickets are seldom a good idea here. Especially given they are expensive with people paying higher prices to see games early when the season is still a novelty. Never been much for early season games. Its not at all when the best hockey is played, not close to it. Talent teams also typically take more time to get game together. So that the fiction that happens every damn season is that some of the skill teams struggle early in season and meat and potato teams with a simpler game are able to get to their game quicker. No reason for panic.
When you own season tickets you get the whole season, so yeah there’s that.

Not panicked, concerned and frustrated is the right words for it. Margins are thing in this league and they are pissing away the first 10 percent of their home games with barely a whimper. Keep at it and then you get to last year territory quick and they completely beat the odds last year to do what they did from where they were. They are tempting fate trying that trick twice.

Calgary looked way more skilled and composed for long stretches of the game tonight. That’s quite the indictment.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Vegas oddsmakers didn’t know the beast they were up against with the Oilers.
I don't even get how Oilers would be considered favorites. Nobody in WC repeats solid seasn and playoffs the year after being in a cup final. Plus that theres all sorts of holes and limitations with this roster.

Not convinced Vegas has hockey pegged down even with a team there now. Its like they analyze hockey like Basketball. I.e. any team with top 5 players probably wins it all.. Hockey of course not like that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bang. Its what happens to this club. Until they get rolling the topguns on this team play every shift with an urgency to produce. Sometimes they panic a bit around that before getting confidence. Yes confidence plagues every player. This isn't basketball where its simple matter of stickng a ball in a hoop. Theres an opponent team and goalie shutting you down. Hockey is about the hardest sport to get scoring going when you don't have confidence.

This team has learned often that it needs 4 0r more goals to win games. You ain't winning ANY 2-1 with this goaltending. So that sets the stage for pushing envelope too much and getting caught.
Goaltending had nothing to do with that pathetic game, and especially not that pathetic power play to start the third. Putting every single game on goaltending when we're averaging a single goal for per game is absolute madness.

Reactions: MessierII

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012

I could see that.

Another is that I think Mcdavid is a bit timid in his approach to new situations, even going back to his rookie year where it took him a few games to really start producing, which isnt abnormal for most, but it is for a generational talent. Seems like every series we drop game 1 at least, poor starts to games for years, poor starts to seasons recently. Almost like he wants the game to come to him, or get a read on it? Idk, maybe I'm out to lunch but it seems to be a trend.

But the team isn't good enough for everyone to take that approach, and he is the leader so it can't be something he instills in the rest of the guys, even if unknowingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad