Post-Game Talk: The Hangover was actually a funny movie. This … is very unfunny.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The third period was especially pathetic.

Just decided to go out there and drop our pants. The power play early was limp.
Its our worst period so far. First period has been our best. So is the team actually tiring through games? Flames took this game completely over half way through and started dominating. Fatigue, getting every from game plan.

Another thing is in first period Flames outhit us 10-1 and taking liberties. Just hammering Oilers into the boards. Flames have around 6 players with grit. We don't have any of those.

Jebus RV has been awful. Its in the running between him and Nuge who has done nothing. Both aren't physical either. Neither are making plays anywhere.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Who the f*** cares about goaltending?

WE’VE SCORED 2 GOALS IN 3 GAMES

We could have a reanimated Jaques Plante back there and we’d still be 0-3.

I mean, we've scored 3 goals. And I don't disagree the offense needs to be better. I said as much.

But most teams aren't winning jack f*** shit all with sub .900 goaltending.

But bad goaltending hurts the rest of the team too. You get anxious and afraid of sticking to your structure so you over challenge and get burned trying to over play pucks defensively. Offensively it hurts the rest of the team because once you're behind in the game the other team tends to take less risks and just sell out defensively.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean, we've scored 3 goals. And I don't disagree the offense needs to be better. I said as much.

But bad goaltending hurts the rest of the team too. You get anxious and afraid of sticking to your structure so you over challenge and get burned trying to over play pucks defensively. Offensively it hurts the rest of the team because once you're behind in the game the other team tends to take less risks and just sell out defensively.

If you’re anxious and afraid of sticking to structure due to subpar goaltending you probably don’t deserve to be in the National Hockey League.

Look after what you are responsible for. This isn’t peewee.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Making this about Katz is beyond stupid.

Yeah, unlike the clear OBC days, I'm not sensing this is the result of Katz. With his health issues, he probably isn't involved as often and he most likely got the hint back in the day when he did meddle. This is just a result of terrible GM hires from Chiarelli and then to Holland. That small stretch of years probably sewered any chance we have now.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Really, the only “knee jerk” sort of reaction I would like to see this early into the season is for Dustbin Shartz to (finally) get shit canned

Do Jackson-Bowman have the balls to tell Daddy Katz his niece’s hubby or whatever has to go?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really, the only “knee jerk” sort of reaction I would like to see this early into the season is for Dustbin Shartz to get shit canned

Do Jackson-Bowman have the balls to tell Daddy Katz his niece’s hubby or whatever has to go?
Wait is that actually a thing?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
4GA is progress right?!?

Meh. Not gonna lose sleep over it. We scored 3 goals, two taken away, and we hit another 3 posts. We were around this game and have been for the most part in the season. As bad as our scoring is it'll come, theres no way it won't. Bigger issue is GA and hopefully team can tighten up in that area.

The one issue of physicality keeps rearing its head and its hard when you're getting hammered into the boards in games repeatedly to have upper hand. I've often felt teams can take over games physically. Predictably Flames did that tonight and its their intent with the roster they put together. That issue is something our players can't really address. Its up to the GM to address that sort of thing and get some grit in lineup.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

it was 1-1 going into the 3rd and the Oilers had a PP with a chance to take the lead...that's not on goaltending

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Wait is that actually a thing?

I mean, how else does a local university level coach have a job in what is supposed to be the highest hockey league in the world. He's been around too long and when you have former players saying they train with others in the offseason, it's a terrible look. A rumour, for sure, but it DOES make sense in the grand scheme of things.

• Love
Reactions: Cloned and Oilhawks

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
New levels of dumb here tonight
Do you think it's a coincidence that the same problems have plagued us for years? Poor starts, uninspired defensive play, huffing their own farts when the media pumps them up and in turn self destructing. All through multiple coaches too.

And don't even get me started on that f***ing tantrum in the finals. That wasn't inspiring anybody. Seriously, if you saw Tkachuk saying that to his team after game 6, you'd think he was a crying baby and that we had it in the bag. But Connor does it and everybody sucks him off and acts like he is the second coming of Messier, even with nothing on the scoresheet in games 6/7 in the biggest series of his life.

What are the signs he is a great leader for this team? Maybe he is a lead by example type, but if so it's apparent that isn't what this team needs, because we keep making the same mistakes year after year.

Do I think anybody in the org will ever even hint at a leadership change? f*** no. But at this point, I'm not sure we shouldn't be questioning his leadership.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean, how else does a local university level coach have a job in what is supposed to be the highest hockey league in the world. He's been around too long and when you have former players saying they train with others in the offseason, it's a terrible look. A rumour, for sure, but it DOES make sense in the grand scheme of things.
You should make serious posts more often.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Schwartz should’ve been fired after Dubnyk resurrected his game into a regular Vezina candidate.

And by fired I mean doused with gasoline and lit on fire.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Bang. Its what happens to this club. Until they get rolling the topguns on this team play every shift with an urgency to produce. Sometimes they panic a bit around that before getting confidence. Yes confidence plagues every player. This isn't basketball where its simple matter of stickng a ball in a hoop. Theres an opponent team and goalie shutting you down. Hockey is about the hardest sport to get scoring going when you don't have confidence.

This team has learned often that it needs 4 0r more goals to win games. You ain't winning ANY 2-1 with this goaltending. So that sets the stage for pushing envelope too much and getting caught.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Just got home. First of all that was one of the most atrociously reffed games I’ve seen. Yes, in this case it did impact the game, but also shouldn’t have been the deterministic factor.

I absolutely refuse to absolve any part of this teams play by blaming the officiating. Every single aspect of the team is crap right now, really, really bad. The d are struggling, and the forwards are just a train wreck in their own zone and all too willing to sell out by flying the zone leaving their struggling d isolated and in tough situations. The offense is just bad, flat out. They complety lack any consistent flow, miss so many passes it’s unbelievable and after the second disallowed goal they just quit. In a tied game, in front of their home crowd. They lack urgency and pace, the best case in point was the three on one after the kill, you could see from Center ice in they would get caught on that play. That puck needs to get headmanned to the front guy who can push the pace.

Will they recover and make the playoffs? Most likely. But right now it’s not a good sight out there and like last year you can quickly bury yourself which means you have to expend way more energy and effort to reel in the pack, and that costs you in game 7, which will be on the road if this keeps up too long. Really disappointed in the franchise right now.

Get to go and do it all again Tuesday. Yippee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad