GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Superstitions? Us? Naaah. Sabres 4-Stars 2 10/22/24

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I will die on the hill that a guy getting chances is so much closer to breaking out that a guy who isn't. Cozens is not getting any puck luck but he's getting shots and chances which is more than half the battle IMO.
Yep. Cozens is getting chances.

Quinn on the other hand… no shots or even shot attempts this game. Yikes

Reactions: Chainshot

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Yep. Cozens is getting chances.

Quinn on the other hand… no shots or even shot attempts this game. Yikes
He seems to be the high forward, and the line is not getting sustained zone time, so I think he is mostly just out there playing defense.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I thought the 2nd period (+ some of the third) was the best I’ve seen the Sabres play in years. The energy, backchecking, forecheck, gap control was outstanding. It was a mature brand of hockey that we didn’t see under Granato.

If we can play like that consistently - we 100% can be a legit playoff team. It’s also a part of what makes it so frustrating when they look lackadaisical - because you know this is what they’re capable of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I will die on the hill that a guy getting chances is so much closer to breaking out that a guy who isn't. Cozens is not getting any puck luck but he's getting shots and chances which is more than half the battle IMO.
Cozens was definitely trying in that game, and will get rewarded.

Quinn's still lost.

Reactions: Zman5778

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Kulich deserves to stay, he doesn't look out of place at all, Quinn can sit and get his head out of his ass.

This team just needs to learn how to be consistent, disciplined, stick to the game plan. Play like you did last night and you are a playoff team.

Reactions: Club

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Krebs as 2C when NAK returns
Krebs is playing well but he’s also not playing a ton. Last night he played 8mins 5v5. I don’t think thats a coincidence.

Cozens is definitely struggling but he is playing 12+mins a night 5v5 and is being asked to do a lot more than Krebs. Could Krebs play that much more and expand his game beyond what he’s being asked to do right now? I doubt it. But playing wing on the 2nd line might be a better way to go. Its still more minutes but mitigates to some extend how much more he’d be asked to do.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I always thought Krebs had the attitude and mindset to become an effective 4th line C. He's a high intensity guy. He has that IDGAF mindset that you like to see in your bottom 6 Cs. There's some rat in his game, too. I was actually fine keeping him as the 4C as long as Adams gave him physical wingers (I was fixated on Jeannot), which he did. I can see Krebs relishing in that role. His speed, tenacity, and rat like behavior can be molded into an effective player if he plays a simple enough game.

I can see why Ruff is intrigued by him.

Respect for this kid. Knows he wasn't going to make it in the league as a top 6, and has adapted his training and game as a utility player.
He's wired that way. I remember watching him come off the ice after a playoff win in Rochester, and he was WIRED. The entire team was excited, but the look in his eyes was different...like he just did a couple of bumps, but it was pure adrenaline. That's part of the reason I never wanted to give up on the kid; he's a feisty little booger.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Kulich deserves to stay, he doesn't look out of place at all, Quinn can sit and get his head out of his ass.

This team just needs to learn how to be consistent, disciplined, stick to the game plan. Play like you did last night and you are a playoff team.
Ive been super impressed with his overall game. He has some rookie moments, but he's playing smart defensively, not shying away from contact, and putting in work along the boards. Im pretty excited to see his prime. His work ethic has been praised going back to his rookie season in ROC, and he has the skill that make GMs drool. I can see why Adams probably prefered him to Savoie.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Krebs is playing well but he’s also not playing a ton. Last night he played 8mins 5v5. I don’t think thats a coincidence.

Cozens is definitely struggling but he is playing 12+mins a night 5v5 and is being asked to do a lot more than Krebs. Could Krebs play that much more and expand his game beyond what he’s being asked to do right now? I doubt it. But playing wing on the 2nd line might be a better way to go. Its still more minutes but mitigates to some extend how much more he’d be asked to do.
Expecting a player to maintain strong play while giving them a sizable boost in ice time and responsibility does not always work out as well as hoped.

But, if Cozens continues to struggle to produce, I wouldn't hate it if they were to go back to the M-L-NAK 4th line and try Krebs between Cozens and Quinn.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Expecting a player to maintain strong play while giving them a sizable boost in ice time and responsibility does not always work out as well as hoped.

But, if Cozens continues to struggle to produce, I wouldn't hate it if they were to go back to the M-L-NAK 4th line and try Krebs between Cozens and Quinn.
Yeah. I don't think it's too big of risk to essentially move Krebs from the 4C spot to the 3C spot*. I'd put him between Kulich and Cozens until Benson is ready, then hopefully have to make a tough decision then.

*Greenway and McLeod got the most ES ice time last night. It's clear to me Ruff is going to lean on that line a ton, and rightfully so. Tage and McLeod appear to be the top-6 Cs at the moment. Let's hope one of Krebs/Kulich/Cozens can handle the 3C role. The good news is, they wont have to carry too much of the defensive burden since McLeod and Lafferty can center two sound defensive lines.

Funny how before the season Zucker was the overpriced vet who we weren't sure where he would fit, McLeod was OK but cost us Savoie, and Greenway was the square peg for the Sabres speed-based round holes and people were assuming he was the first gone.

That Zucker-McLeod-Greenway line is just perfection right now.
McLeod's speed paired with Power's/Dahlin's/Byram's ability to move the puck up the ice is the chef's kiss.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Krebs-Cozens-Kulich is more interesting to me right now.

Reactions: Jim Bob

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Can Quinn still goto the AHL?

It's where he needs to go
destroy his confidence further you're kidding

at worst he sits in press box etc he's a great player we saw similar w tage and peterka I've sern flashes where he's looked like himself his injuries last year were rough look at von Miller hopefully no tre dahlin is also injured

I personally don't believe anyone injured should play as the talent gap between ahl and NHL is less and healthy can compete over hurt everyone especially Jack Quinn gets 10 to 15 games of being a boat anchor to jumpstart their season
kulich proves we have depth that can compete better let's see

I think he'll be just fine playing a cozens schizophrenia ain't help his line mates

and dozens will start breaking thru soon for sure chainshot had the proper words to describe that inevitability

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad