Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Nothing wrong with Freddie getting a look in these next two games. If he automatically gets the starter job for the playoffs I will turn on both Keefe and Dubas. That would be ridiculous.

One game is fine but not both. Campbell needs playing time to be ready for the playoffs.

If Andersen is the starter I’ll join the anti Dubas and Keefe crowd in a heartbeat. But they aren’t stupid and won’t do that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ok, I think we can all agree that there's no chance he starts Game 1.... But is he on the bench or press box and what is the expectation throughout the playoffs? Is there a chance he shuts it down for the year?

Not the best showing in 1.5 AHL games coming off a long layoff. Don't want to read too much into the limited minutes but he didn't seem comfortable out there. Will he play against Ottawa or Winnipeg?

I don't pyt any stock into what he did in the AHL, because it's exactly that, the AHL, he's playing behind AHL players that are either to young and are still developing or, veterans that will never be NHL players.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty big game for Andersen. He has to perform well and has no excuses. Sounds unfair with him just coming back but his play put him in this spot for the last year or so.
I think the team's energy in front of him might show what confidence they have in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: glue

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
So now the entire fan base is sweating what happens if we have an opportunity to clinch a series

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Pretty big game for Andersen. He has to perform well and has no excuses. Sounds unfair with him just coming back but his play put him in this spot for the last year or so.
I think the team's energy in front of him might show what confidence they have in front of him.

And as we all know Andersen really plays well under pressure. I mean just look at that game 7 record.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I hope Freddy has a good bounce back game. Will huge for his confidence if we have to go to him in the playoffs. I am not expecting much TBH. From the game I watched in the AHL, he seemed to be off his angles again. Which has been something he struggled with all year. I'm expecting the boys to play really hard for him though. By all accounts, Freddy is a well liked teammate. Hopefully they can shut it down for him. Make it easy for him

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope Freddy has a good bounce back game. Will huge for his confidence if we have to go to him in the playoffs. I am not expecting much TBH. From the game I watched in the AHL, he seemed to be off his angles again. Which has been something he struggled with all year. I'm expecting the boys to play really hard for him though. By all accounts, Freddy is a well liked teammate. Hopefully they can shut it down for him. Make it easy for him

Might be better if they don't make it easy for him, give him a chance to shine.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I don't think management cares how many goals get scored on him. It's a conditioning stint to see if he's physically ready to go.
I think my point was going into the playoffs, I don't feel comfortable with Andersen. That said we now know he is starting Wednesday, and possibly Friday. So we'll see. It's in our best interest he plays well, and is ready to go for Game 1. At the moment Jack Campbell should start game 1, even if Andersen is 100% healthy.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
ideally, you want everyone to get some ice before the playoffs. This game against the Sens is meaningless aside from getting guys like Andersen and Nash a look.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I’m happy for Freddie, and I hope he has a solid game. Would be great if he played like he has something to prove, and is ready to come in if Campbell falters in the playoffs.

I’m rooting for him. By all accounts, he’s a great guy, and a great teammate.

Reactions: ACC1224

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Good call, then give the last game to Campbell. Hopefully he shows something.

And there’s zero chance he’s our playoff starter, no matter how he looks.
I agree. Campbell has done everything we could’ve hoped for out of a starting goalie. There’s no way they start andersen. I’m hoping for a serviceable start for Freddy, so if we do need him in the playoffs he has something to build on mentally first.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Might be better if they don't make it easy for him, give him a chance to shine.
I am excited for him TBH. I think the expectations couldn't be lower for him. I really don't think any outcome would get him the starter role back, and I think he knows that as well. Jack has arguably played his best hockey in the last 2 weeks IMO. Playing really tidy and calm lately. Looks really confident. I thought he was a little busy early on when he took over for Freddy. Got away with alot of little things, but just battled his way to W's. But now he really looks on point in my mind. Hard to think Freddy could do anything to get that net back. So it might bring out the best in Freddy knowing he really has nothing to lose. Who knows. I'll be cheering for him

Reactions: Confucius

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
In my opinion, this start is more about seeing if Freddy can be the backup. Being the starter is not even considered.
With the way he has played this year (including these last two ahl games), I just think his time is done. Can’t track pucks from the blue line, his lateral movement has disappeared, his body language.... he just hasn’t looked good in a very long time.
Sure would be nice if he could play well and be available as a backup. If not, the leafs traded a 3rd rounder (as insurance) for rittich.

Reactions: ToMaLe and glue

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Dubas is probably employing be a lot of strategy here. He is most likely giving Andersen a chance to hang himself, so Dubas looks like the good guy for at least giving him a chance to audition well. Every sports agent loves the gesture.

If and when Andersen lays an egg, last game, Rittich should play, enough strategy games with agents Kyle.

Give our backup, a game.

Campbell has played a ton of hockey, he doesn't need to play the last game at all.

Reactions: LeafsRus

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't pyt any stock into what he did in the AHL, because it's exactly that, the AHL, he's playing behind AHL players that are either to young and are still developing or, veterans that will never be NHL players.
The problem with that is a lot of the goals he let in really couldn't be blammed on the defense.

Clean shots from the point, weak shots 5 hole. He isn't a good goaltender right now.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I would be shocked, stunned, bedazzled and god smacked if we win this game with him in the cage Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad