Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've had a really hard time getting a read in whats going on with Andersen here and the front office. It'll be curious to see what they do if he still hasn't looked ready to go come game one of the playoffs.

The Hutch v Rittch question is an interesting one. Hutch has had the better season, though I'd say Rittch has been viewed (at least in the league) as the better goalie in the wider sample. I'm fine with either

Dubas wasn't in charge when we traded for Andersen, So i doubt he's that invested in him if he's not performing to an acceptable level

If he continues to struggle I wouldn't be shocked if they use somebody else to back Campbell up

Hutchinson has been good this season and Rittich hasn't been good for us so I'd lean Hutch

Reactions: Menzinger

Mar 26, 2010
I kinda wish Freddy would just go away. It's been nice not having to worry about his subpar play sinking us.
Yup, he will destroy all chances the Leafs have to win in the playoffs. He could not even win an AHL game. He is not good. He should not even be dressed as the back up once the playoffs start. Keep him in the press box.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Campbell obviously starts the playoffs. However, some fans who say "I don't even want to see Andersen on the bench!" need to remember we don't play for the team. Anyone who has been paying attention in recent years knows Fred is close with the core group. This isn't a Phaneuf/Kessel situation where they weren't getting along with anyone in their last days in Toronto. We know that the group likes Fred around, the core that's been with him since 2016 anyway.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Campbell has shown a level of confidence in the last 2 weeks that is very clear to me that he should get the net in game 1. I think he knows the boys believe in him, and that he's the guy. I'd give him a semi longer leash. Wherein if they lose game 1 and goaltending was the issue, I go to Freddy game 2. But if they lose and it wasn't solely because of the tending, I'd keep him in the cage.

Hell no. We ride Campbell unless he's caused us 2-3 games. Flipping to a lesser backup because of 1 game is pure nuts.

Reactions: Mats13

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think if Anderson had gotten a shutout in the AHL, or maybe let in 1 goal over those two starts, I'd feel more comfortable, but I just can't see him starting for the playoffs. Would like to see him get in a Regular season game. But even then, I mean, it's Campbell's net at this point.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Hell no. We ride Campbell unless he's caused us 2-3 games. Flipping to a lesser backup because of 1 game is pure nuts.
I think people, including yourself need to proceed with a bit more caution when it comes to Campbell. Of course we'd all love to see him run away with this starting role, and to some degree he has already. But it's still a 21 game sample size as a starter. That's likely not even the amount of games played required to win it all. I think we can all agree Freddy is an inferior option at this point. But to say he is not capable of coming in to get us a win is inaccurate. I'd play a healthy Freddy over a confidence shaken Campbell any day. I'm sure Sheldon will do the same. Again, I am only talking about putting Freddy in on occasions where Jack was the reason we lost. A la David Rittich against the Canucks

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I think people, including yourself need to proceed with a bit more caution when it comes to Campbell. Of course we'd all love to see him run away with this starting role, and to some degree he has already. But it's still a 21 game sample size as a starter. That's likely not even the amount of games played required to win it all. I think we can all agree Freddy is an inferior option at this point. But to say he is not capable of coming in to get us a win is inaccurate. I'd play a healthy Freddy over a confidence shaken Campbell any day. I'm sure Sheldon will do the same. Again, I am only talking about putting Freddy in on occasions where Jack was the reason we lost. A la David Rittich against the Canucks

Campbell has done more than enough to earn the starting job on this team. Even if Freddy had been healthy this year, I still believe Campbell would have taken away his job given the alarming decline in his game since the start of last year. Even though a series is short, you can't flip-flop away from your starting goalie because of a single loss.

I'd love to think that Freddy plays for us in one or both remaining games, plays well and is ready to be a viable backup candidate. Unfortunately, everything we've seen from him last year and this year along with him just returning from injury points to him not being a viable option. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon doesn't even chose him as the backup.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I think if Anderson had gotten a shutout in the AHL, or maybe let in 1 goal over those two starts, I'd feel more comfortable, but I just can't see him starting for the playoffs. Would like to see him get in a Regular season game. But even then, I mean, it's Campbell's net at this point.
I don't think management cares how many goals get scored on him. It's a conditioning stint to see if he's physically ready to go.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Campbell has been dealing with injury this season too. Having Andersen healthy and ready to go as a back-up would be a huge boost to this team.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Leafs USA

Mar 27, 2021
I don't think management cares how many goals get scored on him. It's a conditioning stint to see if he's physically ready to go.
On the flip side, if Freddy looked great in 2 wins it would factor.

If he pitched two shutouts they'd be looking to get him in NHL games.

Since he's letting in softies in the AHL, them saying it's just about conditioning, seems akin to saying, that's OK Freddy, it's the thought that counts...

but he'll no we're not putting him in any meaningful net.

Reactions: vpasla1

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Even though a series is short, you can't flip-flop away from your starting goalie because of a single loss.
It has successfully happened in the past with Grubauer/Holtby (Stanley Cup), Fleury/Murray (Stanley Cup), and to a lesser degree Fleury/Lehner (WCF). There is no reason that this concept will not be entertained with Campbell/Freddy. I agree, Campbell has the net until he loses it. But to think that 21 good games is enough to think he is our ride or die Tendy is probably not true. I am almost certain Freddy will see some game action at some point in a long Playoff run should they have one.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I was wondering this too. Not sure how this works.

I have no idea how it works but wouldn't it just be the per diem (per game) amount of his salary? 1 game out of $50M is only $90k. Seems like no big deal if my guess is right.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad