OT: The Football Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Are you nuts? Only publicly does he have support of team and coaches. They all hate this doosh, same as last year. Playoffs with Wilson? Bwahahahahha playoffs?! Playoffs?!<insert Jim mora>
They ain't dead until they're dead

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The pressure is off. He has full support of his team and coaching staff. A mentor in Rodgers. A defense that will keep them in most games and plenty of options available in the air and on the ground. Add to that a chip on his shoulder and the table is set for Wilson taking this team to the playoffs.
Rodgers won't be doing any mentoring while rehabbing the achilles.

Reactions: Big L

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I am a long suffering Jets’ fan like many here and I’m here to give my fellow fans a reality check on Zack Wilson.

Over the years I’ve bought into the false hope of Richard Todd, Ken O’Brien, Vinnie Testaverde and even Neil O’Donnell. I held onto hope for two years that Zack Wilson needed more time. The clock has run out for for him. He’s a bust.

Zach Wilson was thrown to the wolves right from the beginning of his NFL career. It wasn’t pretty and the excuses for his poor play were valid. To be fair, he needed additional time to gain experience. Towards the end of last year, he had a chance to show some glimpses of progress. He failed miserably. He can’t read defenses, his pocket presence is poor and he makes bad decisions under pressure. His only saving graces are that he has an NFL arm and is fairly mobile. That’s not enough when the other problems aren’t fixable.

There is so much talent on this team that an average NFL starter gives them a solid chance to be a factor in the playoffs. Zach Wilson is not that guy. I’ve seen the available talent on the waiver wire and I am similarly underwhelmed. With that being said, a retread like Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz gives the green and white a far better chance to win than Wilson does.

Last edited:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
It's my fault Rodgers got hurt. I got in the stadium a little late, was on the chicken fingers line at MetLife when he went down. Didn't even see the guy take a snap. Hands up that's on me I'll aim to do better.
you better f****** eat before you go to any Isles games this year

• Haha
Reactions: nyisles and NYI365

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Zach Wilson may be a bust and will never be a true #1 QB in the league capable of leading a team to a Superbowl. But this Jets team is good enough to make the playoffs with a below average quarterback.

Rodgers won't be doing any mentoring while rehabbing the achilles.
Of course he will.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Aren't players generally separated from the team when rehabbing injuries? They're going to be doing entirely different things so I'm not sure how he will be mentoring him in any meaningful capacity.
He’s not gonna be standing on the sideline during a game, that’s for sure.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Wilson and the Jets will make the playoffs. Does everyone forget before AVT and Hall went down in the same game last year they were well on their way to making the playoffs?
Does everyone forget they had 2 or 3 absolute miracle wins then also?

Reactions: The Real JT

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Aren't players generally separated from the team when rehabbing injuries? They're going to be doing entirely different things so I'm not sure how he will be mentoring him in any meaningful capacity.
He's got a long way to go before starting rehab. He may not be attending practices or standing on the sideline but that doesn't mean they won't be in touch regularly.

Does everyone forget they had 2 or 3 absolute miracle wins then also?
This team is also more talented and deeper than last year's.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
GTFOH with Carson Wentz

Let's see how Wilson does with an actual week of QB1 prep.

I'm not expecting exponential growth but lets just see him be solid. Be our Dilfer, Grossman, Sanchez.
Speaking of the Sanchize, between him, Darnold and Wilson it’s amazing how much draft capital the Jets have squandered.

Surprisingly , their other recent picks have more than made up for those gaffes but this is a QB driven league. I have no confidence in the Jets making a meaningful push towards a championship with Wilson at the helm.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Speaking of the Sanchize, between him, Darnold and Wilson it’s amazing how much draft capital the Jets have squandered.

Surprisingly , their other recent picks have more than made up for those gaffes but this is a QB driven league. I have no confidence in the Jets making a meaningful push towards a championship with Wilson at the helm.
Don't forget Pennington.

I don't have any confidence in Wilson being a Superbowl caliber QB either. But for him to make the playoffs with this team? Certainly doable. Probably WC and out though...

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Don't forget Pennington.

I don't have any confidence in Wilson being a Superbowl caliber QB either. But for him to make the playoffs with this team? Certainly doable. Probably WC and out though...

I agree with the second part but between the tough first half schedule and the warts in Wilson’s game, I think it’s more likely the Jets are on the outside looking in if Zach is still QB1.

Pennington brought a lot to the table. Everything but an NFL arm and that alone kept him from being a top tier quarterback. If Chad were QB1 on the current squad I think they’d make the playoffs. He was way better than Wilson will ever be.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I agree with the second part but between the tough first half schedule and the warts in Wilson’s game, I think it’s more likely the Jets are on the outside looking in if Zach is still QB1.

Pennington brought a lot to the table. Everything but an NFL arm and that alone kept him from being a top tier quarterback. If Chad were QB1 on the current squad I think they’d make the playoffs. He was way better than Wilson will ever be.
True. I just think that Wilson is the best option now. The tough schedule, mediocre O line and Zach's deficiencies are all factors not in the Jets favor... But I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Pennington had an NFL arm until he.hurt his shoulder. He was never the same.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
GTFOH with Carson Wentz

Let's see how Wilson does with an actual week of QB1 prep.

I'm not expecting exponential growth but lets just see him be solid. Be our Dilfer, Grossman, Sanchez.

Update - through a combination of his offensive line and his gunslinger tunnel vision, he cannot be the serviceable game manager needed to bring this team to the playoffs.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You are likely right. But unless the offensive line and running game improve I don’t think many QB’s could win with this team.
Zach Wilson is not the answer I’m sad to say. That came to me belatedly at the end of last year when I saw not even a flash of talent or potential in the final few games.

Fast forward to game one of this year. Granted, the coaches kept his game under wraps, but if you think the touchdown he threw to his brother Garrett Wilson against Buffalo was reflective of the quarterback’s skills then you were watching a different game than I was. Garrett Wilson made an otherworldly play on a pass that frankly wasn’t well thrown.

I saw nothing in week two to change my mind. The lone Wilson to Wilson touchdown was a good throw but the result was far more reflective of the receiver’s skill than from any exceptional play made by his quarterback. Later in the game, Zach had a chance to connect again with Garrett Wilson on a deep ball, but he couldn’t look off the safety and he threw a floater that was a few yards short of his intended target.

Next week’s game is Zach’s last chance to prove himself in the home game against the Pats. If they lose that one then it’ll be hard to imagine them winning any of the following 3 games (Home vs KC, Away vs Den, Home vs Philly).

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The Cowboys are an excellent team. I don't expect Zach to win too many of these games, especially on the road. But I think a record of 10-7 or 9-8 is realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad