The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
At least JR didn't trade the Pen's #1 pick, maybe they get lucky and catch a gem with that pick in June.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or or or... maybe Sullivan feels like he needs MORE responsibility, here.

Big frame. Physical. 3rd overall pick. "Big booming shot." Right handed.

Sounds like a #3 fella in the making to me, boys!

I'm kidding. Though I don't know how much.

What you're saying is Johnson-Gudbranson will be their shutdown pair? I like the way you think

tenor.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They wanted a tough guy to prevent their stars from needing to fight back and they needed some help on defense with the injuries. It's not too hard to connect the two.

I just had a thought for what JR's end game here is. He doesn't want a tough guy to "prevent the stars from taking cheap shots", he wants a tough guy to fight other teams if/when they cheap shot guys on the Penguins, instead of their stars fighting. I have a feeling that they don't want a "deterrent", they just don't want their good players fighting. That's why he wants an everyday player who can fight, he wants someone to deal with all of that **** while not hurting the team.

That's probably not right, they probably wanted tough guys to protect their stars, but I think he could at least justify it a little bit better if he used that argument.

#justplay

Reactions: Multigrain

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem is, those deals usually blow up in your face, and you should never trade an expiring deal for a long term deal with a struggling player. It’s just risky as hell...

Now he’s grabbing a rotten leg here, a gangrene arm there and trying to build his Frankenstein team.

So he shouldn't have traded Perron for Hagelin back in 2015/16?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What's hilarious about this move is that the only reason the Penguins are even in a battle for a playoff spot this year is because of the top line. The Guentzel-Crosby-Rust line is the only reason they're still in the hunt, because it has been just that good. Everyone else on the roster? Downright horrendous. If you do not include the advanced stats from the 1st line, the Penguins are among the worst teams in hockey this year analytically. That's not hyperbolic either, that's 100% true. Statistically, Dominik Simon has been their 2nd best player at ES this year based on shot generation. That's how bad of shape this team is in.

Why is that funny? Because we get to see if Erik Gudbranson is enough to sink a 1 line team. Oh boy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What's hilarious about this move is that the only reason the Penguins are even in a battle for a playoff spot this year is because of the top line. The Guentzel-Crosby-Rust line is the only reason they're still in the hunt, because it has been just that good. Everyone else on the roster? Downright horrendous. If you do not include the advanced stats from the 1st line, the Penguins are among the worst teams in hockey this year analytically. That's not hyperbolic either, that's 100% true. Statistically, Dominik Simon has been their 2nd best player at ES this year based on shot generation. That's how bad of shape this team is in.

Why is that funny? Because we get to see if Erik Gudbranson is enough to sink a 1 line team. Oh boy.

This is undeniably true. And very much backed up by the eye test.

The more I think about it the more I'm coming around on the chances of Gudbranson being the "keep" outta he and JJ.

Don't mistake me. I wish NEITHER were on the roster. But I think getting rid of both just isn't feasible right away for a variety of reasons, Gud's contract is shorter and he's potentially a bit more useful as a righty. Plus we're already seen PLENTY of JJ. That situations isn't improving.

f*** it. I dunno. This sucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is undeniably true. And very much backed up by the eye test.

I'd change my original statement a little. I'd say that Simon and ZAR are both having really good seasons, the top line and top pair has been legit and the goaltending has been good overall (albeit inconsistent). The rest? ****ing horrible, whether you want to judge them on their expectations or just on their play. Just terrible.

The more I think about it the more I'm coming around on the chances of Gudbranson being the "keep" outta he and JJ.

Don't mistake me. I wish NEITHER were on the roster. But I think getting rid of both just isn't feasible right away for a variety of reasons, Gud's contract is shorter and he's potentially a bit more useful as a righty. Plus we're already seen PLENTY of JJ. That situations isn't improving.

**** it. I dunno. This sucks.

I would much rather keep Gudbranson over Johnson for reasons I already said, but I don't see them cutting bait with Johnson. Not a chance. JR is in way too deep for me to think that's even remotely a possibility.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Gonna take JR swallowing a very bitter pill of realization in order for him to backpedal out of the JJ and Gudbranson commitments. He talked both of them up significantly, was adamant that they're his guys and hand picked them because of what they bring.

In short: This team's not fixing itself because it doesn't see a problem. We need new eyes and a new approach (read: a new GM) before anything of substance is done, I think.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I know.

They're gonna keep both at least through next season... aren't they?

Nah, I hope at least 2 of Maatta, Gudbranson and Johnson will be shipped out this summer. Knowing our luck, it will be 0 and Schultz will get shipped out.

Speaking of Maatta, I was looking at his numbers this year with and without Crosby, what's fascinating to me is that his stats away from Crosby are even worse than Johnson's stats away from Crosby. Like it's amazing, take out Maatta's 18-3 goal differential with Crosby and his stats go from bad to horrendous:

Johnson without Crosby: 44.14% CF%, 42.19% GF%, 43.34% HDCF%, -10 overall
Maatta without Crosby: 43.01% CF%, 40.00% GF%, 48.48% HDCF%, -11 overall

I think the best way to say it is that the Penguins have 3 analytically terrible defensemen on their team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe we should just stop acquiring defensemen we have to shelter with better rookies so they don't completely embarrass themselves

But ... but ... but we've got a history of turning every single struggling defenseman into a star (you know, like Justin Schultz and ... um ... uh ...).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nah, I hope at least 2 of Maatta, Gudbranson and Johnson will be shipped out this summer. Knowing our luck, it will be 0 and Schultz will get shipped out.

Yeah I hope all these Branson-backers don't have much to say when Schultz is shipped out for peanuts because our contract situation is a trainwreck.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm going to cry when I see Johnson-Gudbranson on the ice. Or laugh hysterically. Or both.

Give the next Scudill a chance. Jobranson is going to be the bomb. On a more serious note he really is needed. Teams have been really taking liberties so much more lately. Hardly ever happened when we had Reeves. Can’t have Crosby and Letang jumping in and having to protect each other. I am fine with him for the 3rd pairing RD over Rhuwedel. I just wish his cap hit was $2 million less. I know it is pretty much a wash cap wise with Pearson but that is a big cap hit for enforcer/6th Defenseman. Still think we needed it to protect our better players.

The key is to have a good top 4 defenseman so the 3rd pairing gets sheltered minutes. This will depend on if Maatta is ready for playoffs or not. Although Johnson has looked decent with Schultz so far playing on his correct side. So hopefully that pairing can hold up until Maatta is ready. Unfortunately that is our top pairing until Dumoulin and Letang get back. I actually thought they did a very good job playing 30 minutes each that last game. Another tough test tonight with the retooled Jackets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Give the next Scudill a chance. Jobranson is going to be the bomb. On a more serious note he really is needed. Teams have been really taking liberties so much more lately. Hardly ever happened when we had Reeves. Can’t have Crosby and Letang jumping in and having to protect each other. I am fine with him for the 3rd pairing RD over Rhuwedel. I just wish his cap hit was $2 million less. I know it is pretty much a wash cap wise with Pearson but that is a big cap hit for enforcer/6th Defenseman. Still think we needed it to protect our better players.

The key is to have a good top 4 defenseman so the 3rd pairing gets sheltered minutes. This will depend on if Maatta is ready for playoffs or not. Although Johnson has looked decent with Schultz so far playing on his correct side. So hopefully that pairing can hold up until Maatta is ready. Unfortunately that is our top pairing until Dumoulin and Letang get back. I actually thought they did a very good job playing 30 minutes each that last game. Another tough test tonight with the retooled Jackets.

giphy.gif

I was going to be productive and go to the gym tonight, but this ruined it. I'm breaking out by Jim Beam Apple and chugging it.

I will say, though. "Jobranson" is a great name for that pair, because those guys are a bunch of jabronies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Hardly ever happened when we had Reaves :laugh: you live in a different dimension apparently. Sid and Geno are f***ing 30 year old men. They can take it.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Like Letang could handle it? He got injured before he even got to the fight

Every injury is because of a lack of a shitty player on your team who needs to fight apparently.

Listen, if you INSIST on an AHL goon fine. But don’t put him on D and give him 4 f***ing million dollars.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah I hope all these Branson-backers don't have much to say when Schultz is shipped out for peanuts because our contract situation is a trainwreck.

I honestly don’t think Schultz will get a raise. He signed that big deal after the 51 point season and was not close to those numbers last year. If he stays in the 30’s points range again next season we could sign him for a similar deal. Cap keeps going up and we have pretty much all high cost positions filled. Pens will most likely trade one of the defenseman this summer if we lose early in playoffs or don’t make them.

When all the defenseman are healthy I think we have a strong group to pick from. The top 4 of Dumoulin-Letang and Maatta-Schultz is better than most top 4’s. Between Pettersson, Johnson, Riikola, and Gudbranson you should be able to have a decent bottom pairing you would hope.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
giphy.gif

I was going to be productive and go to the gym tonight, but this ruined it. I'm breaking out by Jim Beam Apple and chugging it.

I will say, though. "Jobranson" is a great name for that pair, because those guys are a bunch of jabronies.

No excuses, I am still going to the gym. Drink when you get back.:laugh: You are going to really be happy with Jobranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad