The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
And who's going to take them? And what for? We'll have to be bringing back salary most likely. Either that or we'll have to trade away other more valuable assets.

You guys act like this is the only horrible contract in the entire league. Do you not think the Canucks were thinking the same thing yesterday? That no one would ever touch him in a trade?

Another thing, yes he is horrible. His stats are horrible and his tape is horrible. But guess what, it is not humanly possible for his value to go any lower, this is the lowest. He could come here and play adequately and all of the sudden the contract is easier to move.

Right now, at this present moment, his value is the worst it could possibly get and theoretically the hardest to move. The Canucks got another team to take it on at its worst. I’d like to believe that there are people in our FO that can do the same.

May be wishful thinking, but I still believe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm asking. I'm not telling. Because I don't know off the top of my head.

Oh wait, you were talking about Alzner, not Gudbranson. My bad, I thought you meant that Gudbranson was on waivers.

On Alzner, he was waived but there were also teams inquiring about him with salary retention. I think he didn't get moved because Montreal didn't want to retain money for like 4 years.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I’ve said it already. Gudbranson will be apart of the Kessel trade this summer. And yes, we will have to accept less than what we could get from a solo Kessel trade to get rid of him.
And you don't see that as a problem?

Plus what kind of trade can we make sending out that much salary? What teams are there? Plus doesn't Kessel have a NTC?

Reactions: Turin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You can't add Gudbranson on top of Kessel because that brings up their salary commitment to like $11 million. That's way too much for a team to take on. Gudbranson will probably be dumped for like a 3rd and Kessel will be moved for a futures heavy package as well, but they won't be grouped together. If anything, I think you'll see something like Jarry and Gudbranson for something.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
And you don't see that as a problem?

Plus what kind of trade can we make sending out that much salary? What teams are there? Plus doesn't Kessel have a NTC?

I’m pretty sure that I said within the post that we will lose value on a Kessel trade. Which is a problem. So I’m not sure why you guys keep asking me if I don’t see that as a problem.

Kessel has a NTC to a bunch of teams but not all of them.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You can't add Gudbranson on top of Kessel because that brings up their salary commitment to like $11 million. That's way too much for a team to take on. Gudbranson will probably be dumped for like a 3rd and Kessel will be moved for a futures heavy package as well, but they won't be grouped together. If anything, I think you'll see something like Jarry and Gudbranson for something.

That works also.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Another thing, yes he is horrible. His stats are horrible and his tape is horrible. But guess what, it is not humanly possible for his value to go any lower, this is the lowest.

Sure it can, he can have negative value like Lucic.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Honestly, the best thing we can root for is Gudbranson coming in and looking below average and not down right god awful. (Id hope for him looking good but I know that’s too much to ask)

And also, Kessel getting his head out of his ass and playing well down the stretch.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Reaves is actually a pretty solid player, and he doesn't hurt you. He's got 17 points this year being used in a more offensive role for 10 minutes a night. so he isn't just Tanner Glass out there. The whole Brassard deal was a disaster from every possible angle, and traded out arguably our two toughest players who could actually play for a bum. Looking back, that trade may have been the beginning of the end of our window. It's sad, we'd have been way better off just paying Bonino.

This recurring trying to get tough thing is a mess, as the coach doesn't want these guys, but the GM does. I would be fine with either approach as long as everyone is on-board. This was the big issue with Shero and DB, bringing in players the coach had no idea how to, or no desire to use properly. It's a killer.

That said, I do like our forward position a lot better then what we'd have if Bonino was still here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thanks guys. Found a few articles once I stopped being lazy.

So, uh... why don't they "just move" Alzner?

I think they're just not as pressed to move Alzner, tbh. They have boatloads of cap space, so they can deal with him sitting in the AHL at a stupid contract. The Penguins obviously don't have that luxury.

I do question how much more difficult Gudbranson would be to move compared to Pearson. Pearson is better, but I think you had the same problems with moving Pearson for no cap space back as you have with Gudbranson. I think the original Hagelin trade may have doomed them from that point of view, because you were going to struggle to free up the cap space that you would have gotten just by keeping Hagelin.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pearson was all sorts of vanilla and not going to be a part of this team's plan... whatever the f*** that is... but he didn't have negative value. He was actually on pace for 16 goals in a rather limited and often in-flux role. They could have easily dished him for futures in the Summer or during the draft.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I’m pretty sure that I said within the post that we will lose value on a Kessel trade. Which is a problem. So I’m not sure why you guys keep asking me if I don’t see that as a problem.

Kessel has a NTC to a bunch of teams but not all of them.
So basically your scenario more than likely isn't going to play out like you figured is what I'm getting at.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Honestly, the best thing we can root for is Gudbranson coming in and looking below average and not down right god awful. (Id hope for him looking good but I know that’s too much to ask)

And also, Kessel getting his head out of his ass and playing well down the stretch.
I mean yeah, we can all hope for that.

I also hope a 20 year old Brooke Burke magically appears in front of me and asks me to do things I'm not allowed to post here.

I choose to be more realistic with my expectations.

Reactions: K Fleur

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean yeah, we can all hope for that.

I also hope a 20 year old Brooke Burke magically appears in front of me and asks me to do things I'm not allowed to post here.

I choose to be more realistic with my expectations.

And what’s that? Since you just believe that we keep these guys. Like others have said, that’s not realistic also.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pearson was all sorts of vanilla and not going to be a part of this team's plan... whatever the **** that is... but he didn't have negative value. He was actually on pace for 16 goals in a rather limited and often in-flux role. They could have easily dished him for futures in the Summer or during the draft.

$3.75 million for a vanilla 15 goal scorer isn't exactly great, though. I lean towards them being able to move him for cap space, but I'm not entirely told on that. It's not like Pearson was playing well for most of this year.

Pearson had 3 stretches this year: terrible with the Kings, solid for the first half of his Penguins tenure and terrible for the second half of his Penguins tenure. It's not like he had a great run here and the overall results are terrible.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I can already tell Gudbranson would do better here if you guys would GIVE HIM A FAIR SHAKE!

He has the same untapped potential that was in all of the other garbage defenseman JR went out and got. This time it’s gonna be different.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
1*apuwI-oRLikdL0lob-wNIw.jpeg

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think they're just not as pressed to move Alzner, tbh. They have boatloads of cap space, so they can deal with him sitting in the AHL at a stupid contract. The Penguins obviously don't have that luxury.

I suppose that's a reasonable explanation. I can't imagine their owners are terribly pleased about it, though. And I have to figure they at least explored other options before waiving him.

I do question how much more difficult Gudbranson would be to move compared to Pearson. Pearson is better, but I think you had the same problems with moving Pearson for no cap space back as you have with Gudbranson. I think the original Hagelin trade may have doomed them from that point of view, because you were going to struggle to free up the cap space that you would have gotten just by keeping Hagelin.

I just have a really hard time believing that Pearson is a negative value contract. It was certainly not a good contract. I wasn't happy with his performance here. He made Nick Spaling look like Pavel Bure. But I have to think they could have gotten a pretty low pick or at least package him with something else to bring in futures plus a small contract.

I agree that the trouble all started with making a move like Hagelin in the first place.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad