Speculation: The coaching search continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
The Devils had a few months free trial and said nahhh we’re good but somehow we think he’s the the guy.

Uninspiring hiring to say the least but i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt i guess.
We really don’t have a choice lmao

Should just embrace it and pray Staios knows what he doing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boudreau with the Wild: 158-110-35
Boucher with the Sens: 94-108-26

You gotta give a lot of points to Boucher for that ECF run, whereas Boudreau never got out of the first. But how many demerits does he get for the locker room completely imploding under his watch which kicked off the years of misery this fanbase has endured?

So was Boucher really a better hire? What could prime Karlsson, Stone, etc have done under Boudreau? We'll never know.
Here's what matters, Boucher got 11 playoff wins, Boudreau got 2 playoff wins.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
meh not who i wanted or even on my shortlist but will give them benefit of the doubt since there new and seem to care more then last ownership

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Here's what matters, Boucher got 11 playoff wins, Boudreau got 2 playoff wins.

Ah, I see. Wins (especially playoff wins) matter when evaluating coaches, except for the case of Travis Green. In his case, we can't look at the wins to evaluate the quality of his coaching. In the case of Travis Green, we must dig into how many games Jonas Siegenthaler missed during his tenure in NJ, and consider that context. Disregard the wins and losses they don't tell the whole story!

Look at it this way:

NJ is a young team with skilled forwards but questionable two-way play and bad goaltending. Travis Green took over, and the team was very bad.

Ottawa is a young team with skilled forwards but questionable two-way play and bad goaltending. We decided to hire Travis Green to be our coach.

With other candidates, there was something to latch onto:

McLellan - Over 1000 games coached! LA was always good defensively!
Evason - No playoff experience, but got a ton out of a Minnesota team (in the regular season) without much talent and dealing with significant cap penalties!
Julien - He's won a cup before! He speaks french!

With Green, there's nothing. It's truly a head scratching hire. The only thing I can think of, unfortunately, is budget and making sure Gruden gets a spot on his staff.

He has no winning pedigree. His teams were never very good offensively or defensively. He doesn't speak french. Heck, he was even super unlikeable in Vancouver, doing his best Bill Belichick impression with the media. At least people liked DJ.

So, what is it that we should like about him?

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It seems some of you are starting to realize how much you've been duped by this new ownership group. Best in Class, my ass...

Did they have some exhaustive search for POHO? Nope. From the day Andlauer's bid was officially submitted, it was assumed Staios would be POHO. Ok, not ideal for me but I can understand he hired someone who he worked with and trusted. Fine.

When they needed to expand the front office, they hired a guy who was part of the worst management group in the league during his previous stint and who hadn't been in management for almost 10 years. Echoes of the Pierre McGuire hire.

After the GM was fired, did they have some exhaustive search for a new GM? Nope. The rookie POHO made himself a rookie GM during the season.

Before the coach was fired, they mangled an entire season by not moving on it earlier and, after he was, they hired an interim caretaker whose results were broadly the same as the guy fired. Ok, not Martin's fault, he walked into a mess and it was too little too late. Plus, his coaching credentials are f***ing impeccable so you can't fault the guy. Then they undergo an exhaustive search for a new HC and the guy they come up with is the ONLY f***ING GUY WITH A CAREER LOSING RECORD of all the guys they interviewed.

This is honestly unbelievable.

I watched about 25 games last year. First time I've ever not watched at least 75, in a single season. Honestly, looking like it's gonna be the same thing for me again this year.

I'm gonna give this guy a chance because...really, what choice do I have? But this is some bullshit man.
When you're starting at -10, 0 doesn't look so bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I just don’t see this.

I don’t know if they expect us to make the playoffs next year but I can’t imagine they’re not at least trying their best. Andlauer spent a lot of money on this franchise, the fans are frustrated, the players are frustrated… I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t make playoffs a priority even if they’re secretly not big fans of the core.
Fair points.

I think they see a bare cupboard for prospects, and a team that doesn't work as it's been built that will be difficult to correct.

Like some have speculated here, they probably see at least 2 or more off-seasons worth of work to get things back on track just at the NHL level, let alone how long it will take to reacquire the futures we've lost (and there's still one left to go) to have a decent pipeline of ELC talent coming up.

I think that our expectations as fans, and Andlauers expectations as an owner, are not the same.

We want immediate improvement over the next few seasons. God knows we've earned it after all these years.

He wants to build a long term contender.

I believe those two goals are fundamentally at odds.

Reactions: BondraTime

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Is anyone on this chat forum in favor of Travis Green?
This seems out of left field.
Is Travis Green best in show?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
To me the real red flag is Green's last 21 games with the Devils. Disregard the record for a second and consider how they apparently didn't even consider keeping him on. Had management seen anything remotely positive about his systems etc., they would certainly have hired him full-time but they chose to let him go.

So why would a team like ours which desperately needs to learn how to win hire a guy that couldn't even get a much better team to do it?

Reactions: Relapsing

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Watch them give him a 3 year deal too.

If its a one year deal . .. maybe you can give Staios a tiny bit of credit, bring in a genuine asshole to whip these guys into shape but I doubt it.

This in absolutely mind boggling hire.

Staios was a mind boggling hire.

What the f*** is going on

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
To me the real red flag is Green's last 21 games with the Devils. Disregard the record for a second and consider how they apparently didn't even consider keeping him on. Had management seen anything remotely positive about his systems etc., they would certainly have hired him full-time but they chose to let him go.

So why would a team like ours which desperately needs to learn how to win hire a guy that couldn't even get a much better team to do it?

Usually, a coach has a "thing".

Some guys (see Guy Boucher) are defensive minds. If you're team can't defend, he might help.
Some guys (see Bruce Boudreau) are offensive minds. If you're team struggles to score, he might help.
Some guys (see DJ Smith) are player's coaches. If you're a team that wants to improve your vibe, he might help.
Some guys (see Bruce Cassidy) are closers. If you have a veteran team that can't get over the hump, he might help.

What is Travis Green's thing? I can't think of one. Is he an asshole? Maybe. But he's an asshole who's never won anything, as a coach or player. Guys don't usually buy into those type of assholes.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Usually, a coach has a "thing".

Some guys (see Guy Boucher) are defensive minds. If you're team can't defend, he might help.
Some guys (see Bruce Boudreau) are offensive minds. If you're team struggles to score, he might help.
Some guys (see DJ Smith) are player's coaches. If you're a team that wants to improve your vibe, he might help.
Some guys (see Bruce Cassidy) are closers. If you have a veteran team that can't get over the hump, he might help.

What is Travis Green's thing? I can't think of one.
He does have a thing.....he looks like Mark Ruffalo;)

Reactions: IpsoPostFacto

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fair points.

I think they see a bare cupboard for prospects, and a team that doesn't work as it's been built that will be difficult to correct.

Like some have speculated here, they probably see at least 2 or more off-seasons worth of work to get things back on track just at the NHL level, let alone how long it will take to reacquire the futures we've lost (and there's still one left to go) to have a decent pipeline of ELC talent coming up.

I think that our expectations as fans, and Andlauers expectations as an owner, are not the same.

We want immediate improvement over the next few seasons. God knows we've earned it after all these years.

He wants to build a long term contender.

I believe those two goals are fundamentally at odds.
I'm not sure how those goals are at odd wrt a coaching hire.

I think fans have a hard time identifying the impact coaches actually make,

I flippantly compared Boudreau to Boucher, my point isn't Boudreau is a bad coach, I think he's a great coach, but he wasn't able to get the desired results in Vancouver, so why do people think the problem with Vancouver was Green?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
meh not who i wanted or even on my shortlist but will give them benefit of the doubt since there new and seem to care more then last ownership

We're sooo past the "benefit of the doubt" phase though. We haven't made the playoffs in seven god damn years. We needed a real winning coach.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Well I guess we are going to be victims of Andlauer’s learning years as an owner. Probably gonna be 5 years until he realizes friends don’t equal good results. We going to be old old when the sens are fighting for a playoff spot again

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024

I flippantly compared Boudreau to Boucher, my point isn't Boudreau is a bad coach, I think he's a great coach, but he wasn't able to get the desired results in Vancouver, so why do people think the problem with Vancouver was Green?

Maybe he wasn't. But other than "trust in Staios", what makes you believe that Travis Green is, or will be, a good coach?

If your opinion is "I have no opinion and won't until he coaches a season or two, no one is a sure bet anyway" then that's fine, but why argue so staunchly about it. If you're going to wait and see, actually wait and see.

I, along with many others, will look at his track record and formulate an opinion. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I won't just gloss over his poor performance to date until I am proven wrong.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Sounds simple to me: if you want to restock the cupboards for a season or two, you don't hire the coach that gives you the best shot at making it into the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad