Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
St Louis improved after they fired Berube too. Is Drew Bannister a better coach?

I understand he won a cup, so I’m not comparing the two. I just don’t think a team playing better with a new coach for half a season is an indication the previous coach sucked. Boudreau didn’t get the Canucks to the playoffs the following year either.

And a small sample size when the Devils season was over already isn’t gonna be the dealbreaker. Why also assume that he hasn’t learned anything or evolved since his time as a Canucks coach?

I’m not saying he’s a good hire. I have no idea. But I don’t know why some of you are so sure he’s terrible either.
Right but boudreau and berube have good track records BEFORE that. Green has a not so great track record before and after.

I’m not sure of anything. But there are well known successful coaches available

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Do you have any proof that Cassidy would've said no to a coaching job in Ottawa?

Two can play the hypothetical game. Regardless, this team has made many, many errors in judgment and Travis Green would just add another to the list
5M tax free state vs 1M here. I wouldn’t trust his judgement if he chose here.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Being interested doesn't mean he'd have signed right then and there, he was getting paid the remainder of his contract either way and obviously would have known the options would increase as the year went on.

Here's the problem we find ourselves in, coaches tend to go as far as their goalie will take them, and we've got two coach killers. It's not an easy sell to convince a coach to sign on without even considering the other options.

You could very well be right. Difficult to say with no inside knowledge.

I don't expect we're at the top of the list of ideal coaching destinations.

Still I'd expect there should be better options than Green.

He must be super charming and duped them during his interviews. That's the only explanation I can think of.

This is the NHL. It's a complete old boys club.

Freaking DJ Smith is getting puff pieces put out about him saying that he did great work in Ottawa and deserves a second chance because by all accounts he's a good dude who everyone gets along with.

Reactions: jhutter

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You could very well be right. Difficult to say with no inside knowledge.

I don't expect we're at the top of the list of ideal coaching destinations.

Still I'd expect there should be better options than Green.

This is the NHL. It's a complete old boys club.

Freaking DJ Smith is getting puff pieces put out about him saying that he did great work in Ottawa and deserves a second chance because by all accounts he's a good dude who everyone gets along with.
I wish the Sens were an old boys club actually. We might actually hire someone who's won something in this league for once.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Right but boudreau and berube have good track records BEFORE that. Green has a not so great track record before and after.

I’m not sure of anything. But there are well known successful coaches available
Boudreau and Berube worked in well-run organizations too. Did anyone excel under Jim Benning?

Tocchet’s track record was mediocre at best and now he’s probably coach of the year. Pete DeBoer didn’t make the playoffs in 3 years during his first stint as a head coach, now he’s considered one of the best. Evaluating coaches solely on their win-loss record is a pretty futile exercise when they’ve only really been a head coach in one organization. There are so many other factors to determine their abilities that we have no access to.

And the NJ stint is too short to discern much of anything. We saw how it took Jacques about 20 games or so to get this team playing better.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tocchet’s track record was mediocre at best and now he’s probably coach of the year. Pete DeBoer didn’t make the playoffs in 3 years during his first stint as a head coach, now he’s considered one of the best. Evaluating coaches solely on their win-loss record is a pretty futile exercise when they’ve only really been a head coach in one organization. There are so many other factors to determine their abilities that we have no access to.

Tocchet especially was thought of as a poor coach by fans but was highly regarded league wide after his stint in Arizona.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Is Travis Green in with the Tkachuk family?

They played together.

Brady's NMC is coming up next year. He was presumably a DJ guy. Travis Green is obviously an in demand NHL coach, I'm not suggesting he is unqualified.

Is it possible that out of the qualified candidates, Tkachuk had some level of influence?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Berube
Evason
McLellan
Woodcroft
Julien (already said he’d like to coach here)
Boudreau
Gallant
Hackstol
Keefe (soon to be fired)

None of these people will accept jobs here?
None of them said they hate have two men with the same handedness on the same pair except for Greene

Boudreau and Berube worked in well-run organizations too. Did anyone excel under Jim Benning?

And the NJ stint is too short to discern much of anything. We saw how it took Jacques about 20 games or so to get this team playing better.
New Jersey got the best look of current Greene. And said nah

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is Travis Green in with the Tkachuk family?

They played together.

Brady's NMC is coming up next year. He was presumably a DJ guy. Travis Green is obviously an in demand NHL coach, I'm not suggesting he is unqualified.

Is it possible that out of the qualified candidates, Tkachuk had some level of influence?
Brady “DJ Smith rocks” Tkachuk?

Hmmm

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
None of them said they hate have two men with the same handedness on the same pair except for Greene

New Jersey got the best look of current Greene. And said nah
Okay but context is important here. If they said nah because now the Leafs are out, Keefe is going to be fired and they are gonna get Sullivan - that’s not so much an indictment on Green as it is an opportunity to hire a two-time Cup winning coach.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
IF it is Green, would who the assistants are change peoples feelings on the hire?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He likely fits what the Sens want to do moving forward.

Staios wants to play a certain way, and build a team a certain way.

He isn't just looking at coaches who were blessed with very good teams and great goaltending to have success in the league.

Babcock had all the success in the world and was the most in demand coach, probably ever, because he was able to coach teams with over half a dozen hall of famers and go on to winning series. He made absolutely no difference when was coaching a team without that talent, he was just any other coach.

They're looking for who they see as a fit with what they have, and what they want to do. They likely have a better idea on what that is, and what Greene brings, than we do reading what other fans are saying about him

He's not who I'd hire, but that's pretty irrelevant as I really have no clue what he brings/doesn't bring outside of secondhand info from others. Just like with every other coach available.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tocchet won two cups as an assistant with the Penguins then got a lot out of a bad Arizona team

You can't compare him and Greene

Where was that hindsight in Dec 2021 or Jan 2023?

"I get that AV sucks but what is with the big obsession with Tocchet? He's 178-200-60 and made the playoffs once"

"I just don't get the obsession with Tocchet

His track record his Dallas Eakins esque"

Reactions: Tragedy and PlayOn

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Will give benefit of doubt. It's not like our management took this lightly. I just hate to heck getting "promising young coaches". For once I want a guy who has won - a lot - before.

Reactions: LevelingSolo

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
He likely fits what the Sens want to do moving forward.

Staios wants to play a certain way, and build a team a certain way.

He isn't just looking at coaches who were blessed with very good teams and great goaltending to have success in the league.

Babcock had all the success in the world and was the most in demand coach, probably ever, because he was able to coach teams with over half a dozen hall of famers and go on to winning series. He made absolutely no difference when was coaching a team without that talent, he was just any other coach

Huh? Babcock took a grinding Anaheim team to the Stanley Cup finals. He got the Leafs to the playoffs in his 2nd year with a rookie Matthews. He's got a ton of warts as a human being, but he absolutely made a difference for every team he's ever coached.

18 years as a head coach at the NHL and AHL levels. 16 playoff appearances. Travis Green, in comparison, is 3/9 as a professional coach.

So many executives nowadays want to cosplay being a banker and talk about how "wins and losses aren't everything, you have to look beyond that". Well sometimes, wins and losses do in fact tell the story.

Green would be a bad hire. He's proven to be a below average coach. And to boot, he's not well liked by his former players or teammates. At least DJ Smith was a good guy.

If this does in fact end up the hire, Staios and Andlauer couldn't have kicked the air out of this fanbase faster.

So far they look like they paralyze themselves over-analyzing and are very slow to react. Not confidence inspiring.

There are similar rumblings coming out of these arena discussions. Whereas Melnyk was rash and unpredictable, Andlauer moves at a pace even slower than even the NCC. He's a man who loves a committee and a long-winded report.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Huh? Babcock took a grinding Anaheim team to the Stanley Cup finals. He got the Leafs to the playoffs in his 2nd year with a rookie Matthews. He's got a ton of warts as a human being, but he absolutely made a difference for every team he's ever coached.

18 years as a head coach at the NHL and AHL levels. 16 playoff appearances. Travis Green, in comparison, is 3/9 as a professional coach.

So many executives nowadays want to cosplay being a banker and talk about how "wins and losses aren't everything, you have to look beyond that". Well sometimes, wins and losses do in fact tell the story.

Green would be a bad hire. He's proven to be a below average coach. And to boot, he's not well liked by his former players or teammates. At least DJ Smith was a good guy.

If this does in fact end up the hire, Staios and Andlauer couldn't have kicked the air out of this fanbase faster.

So far they look like they paralyze themselves over-analyzing and are very slow to react. Not confidence inspiring.
What did his former players say about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad