Speculation: The coaching search continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
People. We have been interviewing everybody. Think about that. NHL coaches and AHL coaches that are considered ready to be NHL coaches, the next "big coach" so to speak. This is a good thing. We might get outbid on some. Others may like other teams rosters better. That shit happens. At the very least they are sitting at the table and talking. This is a cultural change. Just because they sign for more or a different roster doesn't mean they don't like what is happening in Ottawa. The word will spread that this Ottawa barge is turning around. That's a good thing. Way different from when the league couldn't even get somebody to talk to us about a POHO position. Sure we all have our prefered candidates....before we didn't even have a choice. I think we'll end up ok. That's my dose of positivity. Now you can all kick rocks and eat cake. Lol.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Guys like Evason and McLellan have at least gotten good results out of some average rosters. I don’t understand Alfie saying they’re looking for a proven winner, only to hire someone who has almost tbe same resume as DJ Smith. Was his interview THAT good?
Has he been hired already and I just missed it or are we proclaiming the sky is falling simply out of anxiety?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
People. We have been interviewing everybody. Think about that. NHL coaches and AHL coaches that are considered ready to be NHL coaches, the next "big coach" so to speak. This is a good thing. We might get outbid on some. Others may like other teams rosters better. That shit happens. At the very least they are sitting at the table and talking. This is a cultural change. Just because they sign for more or a different roster doesn't mean they don't like what is happening in Ottawa. The word will spread that this Ottawa barge is turning around. That's a good thing. Way different from when the league couldn't even get somebody to talk to us about a POHO position. Sure we all have our prefered candidates....before we didn't even have a choice. I think we'll end up ok. That's my dose of positivity. Now you can all kick rocks and eat cake. Lol.
I've never seen someone read so much into, and extrapolate so much, from coaches interviewing for an open position. Good for you and your positive vibes!

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Yeah Berube is clearly waiting for Toronto

I just can't believe Travis Green is a serious candidate here

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Didn't keef just get an extension that starts next season?
Aaand they're gonna pay Berube 5mill on top of all that?

Absolutely.
Why not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Absolutely.
Why not.
Probably not even a factor in Leafs land. They must profit a shit ton since their spending is limited with a salary cap.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Absolutely.
Why not.
Keefe probably gets a job soon, maybe in Pittsburgh.

I think Keefe could help the Sens a lot actually, but that’s probably an unpopular opinion here.

Reactions: BigRig4

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Absolutely.
Why not.
advantage of being the richest team in the league

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Should Vancouver have done anything more during his tenure? They were a crap team under Torterella, a crap team under DesJardins outside of his first year, then saw incremental improvements Green's first 3 seasons, before a bad shortened season where Pettersson missed half the games and their big UFA acquisition Holtby sucked losing his job to Demko and getting bought out after just the one year.
Vancouver was us, before we were us.

They went into rebuild in 2014. By the time he took over, it was 2017 and the rebuild was 3 years old and the assumption was, we are digging out.

He had 4 years. And so, years 4, 5, 6 and 7 of the rebuild. No progress. He lasted into year 8 of the rebuild.

Ottawa Sens, rebuild in 2018. Year 4, was 2022. Year 5 was 2023.. So starting in 2024, it will be year 6...

Eerie similarities... Add to it, Desjardin/Smith.. Can you say, Ground hog day.

We need to skip the Green era and get to the Tocchet era. Otherwise, year 6, 7 and so on will be pretty predictable.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
On the Marek show this is what Friedman said:

“I’m hearing all eyes on Travis Green here. I wanna be careful about this, nothing is done until it’s done, but I’m hearing all eyes on Travis Green here and we’ll see what the next few days brings.”

So it seems like he’s probably the guy.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you read the comments of any coach that has ever been fired, it’s literally all the same thing. “Never made any adjustments”, “shuffled lines too much”, “played certain role players too much”, “has no system/the system doesn’t work” etc.

It’s all a bit silly imo. I think there’s so much more to it than record or what we see, feels like a pretty tough thing to evaluate with such certainty.
Yeah but one of these coaches teams played bad. And then immediately played better once he was fired

And then he was hired in interim by another team who got worse when he was hired.

Reactions: Crosside

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
On the Marek show this is what Friedman said:

“I’m hearing all eyes on Travis Green here. I wanna be careful about this, nothing is done until it’s done, but I’m hearing all eyes on Travis Green here and we’ll see what the next few days brings.”

So it seems like he’s probably the guy.

FWIW Friedge posted this link on his twitter. He never does this unless he's really emphasizing something is close.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Gonna stick to by belief that the other three guys were preferred but Staois waited too long and vacancies opened up, just like he waited toong to fire DJ. Not a fan of Staios at all so far.

Reactions: Crosside

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Gonna stick to by belief that the other three guys were preferred but Staois waited too long and vacancies opened up, just like he waited toong to fire DJ. Not a fan of Staios at all so far.
Or they priced themselves out, and this Ownership group also doesn't believe in spending money on a coach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gruden would have actually been better. An unknown is better than a perennial loser.
Perennial loser? He won a championship in the WHL and went to the finals in the AHL, saw steady improvement his first three years in the NHL before a bad year in a shortened season with his teams top player out half the year and his half his 1a/1b goalie tandem playing like Korpisalo.

I'm not saying I love the hiring, but the narrative around him feels a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad