Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That I, do not believe to be totally true. The players are aware of what is going on, and know how it could affect the roster, they also realize that a job might be in jeopardy
Players love when the salary bar is raised. Most want every penny they can get.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Sounds really immature. Holding grudges. Just because you think you are worth something doesn't mean you get it, until you show you are worth it. If you are so confident in your value take a 1 year contract at 5m and win the vezina then you can have 10m per.
Just business man..............the Bruins kicked him in arbitration last year..............he then played lights out, won a playoff round, and now is asking to be paid.

No big deal really, both sides are just doing business. Maybe his plan all along was to get traded?? The devalued him, last year, so why would they still want him??

Who knows what happens next. A trade would think...

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Just business man..............the Bruins kicked him in arbitration last year..............he then played lights out, won a playoff round, and now is asking to be paid.

No big deal really, both sides are just doing business. Maybe his plan all along was to get traded?? The devalued him, last year, so why would they still want him??

Who knows what happens next. A trade would think...

He elected for arbitration last year, not the Bruins. Is Boston supposed to go into it talking about how amazing he is and how he's the future, or use comparables around the league that he sees as an insult. At the time he had no playoff experience except helping Boston choke game 7.

Like you said though, he most definitely proved himself this year taking over the starting spot and doing well in the PO.

Reactions: Armourboy

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If he's asking for $9 million on a long term deal, that's $500k more than Hellebuyck got to play in Winnipeg with his 2 Vezinas. Good luck with that.

Hellebuyck is 31 years old, with a contract that will carry him to 39.... that contract is the ultimate "pay me later" type of deal.

Swayman is 25. He's locking up the prime of his career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Perhaps his dogs like expensive food, much like Modano's dogs did back in the days. We shouldn't judge this guy too harshly before all facts are out.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Just wait till korpisalo has a bad game or two in a row. Bruins fans will really start to lose their minds.

Also I love this "well he wanted to go to arb" excuse. Like why do you think he would want to go to arb in the first place? Probably because the Bruins were offering him trash, just like how they started off these negotiations.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm trying to think of how many goalies through the history of the sport I would sign for 8 years at a high cap hit and the list isn't getting very long.

Reactions: byrath

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He elected for arbitration last year, not the Bruins. Is Boston supposed to go into it talking about how amazing he is and how he's the future, or use comparables around the league that he sees as an insult. At the time he had no playoff experience except helping Boston choke game 7.

Like you said though, he most definitely proved himself this year taking over the starting spot and doing well in the PO.
No matter who, decides to go to arbitration, it's a process that messes with a fragile ego of the player, each and every time.
They both did what they did, and now Swayman and his agent are holding the Bruins accountable for their part in it..................just business. If it's ok for the Bruins to do what they did last year in that process, then it has to be ok for Swayman to do what he is currently doing.

They, even gave him the leverage here..............might explain why they are so incensed at what he is doing?? Tough situation for the club.
Thinking the club gives in or they trade him if not. The Sway camp is doubling down.....

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They will have paid him over $30 million for three seasons where he never played.

If you are saying a LOSS is worth $30 million, you shouldn’t run a hockey team.
Theres a thing called insurance you can get which covers pay when a player is injured. Shouldnt be running a hockey team if you dont know about that 👍

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Brilliant use of $10 million of cap space.

Using 12% of your salary cap on a retired player 3 years in a row is terrible management.

Period.

Holy smokes, you've got zero idea of how insurance or the cap works, do you?

The sole reason they got to a cup final was the mickey mouse covid bubble hockey format.

They went right back to being a last place team literally the next season.

And they beat teams that were high-ranking playoff teams in subsequent years to do it, under the same rules as everyone else. And two of those series weren't particularly close, especially on the ice in Winnipeg and Vegas.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Hellebuyck is 31 years old, with a contract that will carry him to 39.... that contract is the ultimate "pay me later" type of deal.

Swayman is 25. He's locking up the prime of his career.
Totally fair. Swayman hasn't proven anywhere near what Hellebuyck has though.

Just wait till korpisalo has a bad game or two in a row. Bruins fans will really start to lose their minds.

Also I love this "well he wanted to go to arb" excuse. Like why do you think he would want to go to arb in the first place? Probably because the Bruins were offering him trash, just like how they started off these negotiations.
You seem to know an awful lot. What sort of offer did they start off these negotiations with?

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Somehow, someway, I believe Vegas will acquire him unfortunately lol
I don't think anyone will, because I don't think anyone would be willing to hand him close to what he is looking for. I know people think Boston is being cheap here, but the truth is I have a really hard time believing there are too many GM's that would be willing to hand him that kind of money for 8 years.

I get paying for potential, but doing that with a goalie that hasn't even played 50 games in a season, isn't like paying a center or Dman for it. Even if those guys don't reach it most of the time they can at least get in the ballpark. There really isn't a whole lot of middle ground on goalies, they are either worth the money or they aren't.

Reactions: SoupNazi

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
ere really isn't a whole lot of middle ground on goalies, they are either worth the money or they aren't.
That’s the truth. At least with a forward or D-man you can adjust their usage and role up and down the line-up if they’re not living up to their contract. You can find ways around an underperforming bloated salary. With a goalie you can’t. You can’t just keep them as a starter if they’re bad and not really as a backup either. They’re just dead weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad