Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Under Jeremy jacobs it seems like that’s what always happens is they really don’t look down the line. Oates publicly voiced his dismay about Boston not doing enough to replace Neely to compete, they stripped Oates of the captaincy and shipped him off without blinking an eye. Traded their rookie of the year Raycroft when raycroft was below average his second season. Traded kessel, sequin and Thornton all young star players without much pause. Under jacobs it seems shoot first, ask questions later.
And yet they won a cup after moving all of those players (with the exception of Seguin) and have developed an environment in the dressing room where players want to be there.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Is the official offer still at 8 years @ 7.8 million? I don't know if he is the one being greedy or his agent. This would make sense if his team was trash and historically dysfunctional and he had to stand on his head most games, but he would be the 3rd highest paid player (as a freaking goalie) for an original-six team with some of the most loyal fans and have shown to be consistently competitive. I think I'd have to side with management on this one even if I think the cap should be significantly higher and that the owners/NHL are currently ripping off their players.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Is the official offer still at 8 years @ 7.8 million? I don't know if he is the one being greedy or his agent. This would make sense if his team was trash and historically dysfunctional and he had to stand on his head most games, but he would be the 3rd highest paid player (as a freaking goalie) for an original-six team with some of the most loyal fans and have shown to be consistently competitive. I think I'd have to side with management on this one even if I think the cap should be significantly higher and that the owners/NHL are currently ripping off their players.
Sounds like 8x8 from the Bruins and 9x8 from Sways camp.

Reactions: cheesymc

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Did you ignore the part where i said (sounds like they have now though)?

They obviously werent offering him starter money to begin with but they've clearly moved off on that by now. But still seems like the damage has been done.

I don't think that's obvious at all. What is starter money? Shesterkin, Demko, Keumper, Lehner all make around $5 million, which is probably average starter money. You could argue some (specifically Shesterkin and Demko) are due for a raise, but those are 2 of the top goalies in the league. He's not asking for average starter money, he's asking for top 10 starter money and he's just not there yet. I highly doubt the Bruins started much lower than $6.5 minimum if they're at 8 now. That's starter money.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If someone is important enough that you are willing to pay them 64 million, than maybe they're important enough to manage that relationship correctly.

It's business goes both ways.

And them only taking one year of arbitration instead of two was certainly an effort to make things good and get to the long term deal. Obviously, them being “cool about it” didn’t buy them shit.

Reactions: Bodit9

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Pepperidge farms remembers and so does Swayman.

Looks like the Bruins pissed him off last year.
Sure seems like he is mentally done with the Bruins. I wonder how much holding out for top-dollar is about sticking it to Boston—and whether he may be willing to take more of a bargain if he were traded to a team that he feels believes in him.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
He shouldn't be paid full time starter money because he hasn't earned it, if you want to be paid like Vassi, Saros, Shersterkin you should have a track record of consistency to back that up. He doesn't and he should have to prove himself before getting that money.

Also I know I'm a Sens fan but I've always respected the bruins and how they run there team, just a classy organization if I could have the Sens model themselves after one team it would be Boston.

I can understand Swaymans frustration. Imagine if you work with a co-worker and split your duty 50/50. After some time your co-worker moves on to another job and managment tells you "now you have to be THE guy that get things done". You feel like you can do it but you want a raise for the increased workload and they tell you that you haven't shown that you can actually do it.

Pretty messy all around, arbitration year to test the water of fulltime might have made it less messy.

Reactions: um

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I can understand Swaymans frustration. Imagine if you work with a co-worker and split your duty 50/50. After some time your co-worker moves on to another job and managment tells you "now you have to be THE guy that get things done". You feel like you can do it but you want a raise for the increased workload and they tell you that you haven't shown that you can actually do it.

Pretty messy all around, arbitration year to test the water of fulltime might have made it less messy.
I don't think the Bruins weren't offering any raise at all.

Reactions: BronxBruin

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Surprising to see a somewhat good organization let it get to this point.

Now with the arbitration comments hitting the news. Can’t see this ending well for Boston.

He made $3.5 million last year. Are you expecting him to sign for something less than that?

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

I mean he hasn't shown he can do it, are you going to use 132 games as a argument a guy deserves 10 million? I have nor see no issue with Swayman getting a raise but 10 million? And you can not compare people working in a factory struggling to pay rent to a guy who will make millions. Swayman is not on the level of Shersterkin, Saros, Vassi or Bob these goalies have one thing in common a consistent level of performance year after year.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Team is offering well over double what he was making. I don’t even think this is about money anymore for away but personal pride and ego. He isn’t doing anything that’s good for the team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yup, it’s the gen Z. I came across an article the other day how hiring managers of companies are flat out avoiding gen z to fill jobs. Hiring managers think this younger generation are easily offended, doesn’t respond well to feedback, and lacks work ethic and motivation. This applies to a lot of nhlers.
:laugh: is this post a joke or is your brain actually that smooth?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Since no goaltenders play 82 games - playing 41 and 44 games does not represent 'playing half a season' for a goaltender. A 44 game season would represent 75% of the workload for a starting goaltender.

Also, how could he have proved himself as a #1 goaltender who can play 60-62 games if he was never put in that position by the organization he is now negotiating his long term contract extension with? Not exactly fair to criticize him for circumstances he had no control over (other than his level of play)
1 goalie played over 60

4 played over 55.
He adds 10 games and he's up with the rest of the top guys. People pointing at the 44 like its 25 games.

If he's asking for $9 million on a long term deal, that's $500k more than Hellebuyck got to play in Winnipeg with his 2 Vezinas. Good luck with that.

Hellebuyck also signed at 31 to 38.

Swayman is 25 to 33 for a 8 year deal. Premium goalie years

Reactions: um and theMajor

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dude sounds fragile

It was his damn choice to go to arbitration. and he didn't like the arguments they made in arbitration. WTF???? That is arbitration.

Ray Ferraro was talking about this. You have to be very level headed if you go arbitration and shrug things off, as that is the nature of what it is. It's a debate to a neutral party. If you dont want to hear somebody roasting you or can't handle it, then dont go arbitration.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
1 goalie played over 60

4 played over 55.
He adds 10 games and he's up with the rest of the top guys. People pointing at the 44 like its 25 games.

And doesn’t have the resume to back up asking a team to take a 9 million $ gamble for 8 yrs. Especially when he proves he’s mentally soft and incapable of taking constructive criticism. Big red flags character wise for this kid for that kind of dough.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
And doesn’t have the resume to back up asking a team to take a 9 million $ gamble for 8 yrs. Especially when he proves he’s mentally soft and incapable of taking constructive criticism. Big red flags character wise for this kid for that kind of dough.

Defensemen and forwards get paid on potential. Goalies do not right now in this market you are right.

I think more and more that a 8 year deal just is not in the books.

I read it's Swayman that wants the 8? Should just got for a 2 or 3 year deal and get the 8 after proving it with all UFA years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
1 goalie played over 60

4 played over 55.

Helle had also proven he’s worth the money before signing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Not the best analogy. Imagine if you had a coworker who did just as good as you (if not better) but was older, who was fired to give you a promotion. You havent proven you can perform with that new title/responsibilities, you're getting a raise anyways. Because you are a high potential employee. Now you think you have leverage and going on a personal strike to squeeze out as much money as possible despite company budget. While not getting any offers from other companies.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Defensemen and forwards get paid on potential. Goalies do not right now in this market you are right.

I think more and more that a 8 year deal just is not in the books.

I read it's Swayman that wants the 8? Should just got for a 2 or 3 year deal and get the 8 after proving it with all UFA years.
If Freidman is to be believed, swayman looking for 9. A team needs to have a resume in order to judge potential, 130+ games especially for a goalie is pretty weak resume. This deal has the potential to either slam shut the bruins contending window or keep it wide open, needs to be handled correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad