Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
They didn’t have to trade Ullmark. They could have traded Swayman instead and signed Ullmark.

The Jacobs cheapathon just gets worse every year. Now it finally hits home at the most important position. Watch the B’s take a step back this season. Their goaltending is abysmal.
Yeah, it’s not like the Bruins pay to the cap every year or anything …

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
pretty shady on Boston to use the media to make Swayman look bad, I honestly would request a trade only because of that
You should revisit how this started, Swayman was the one who went to the media. Swayman is still going to the media, and unfortunately, he is losing the fan base which he pretty much had the vast majority in his corner. Sway and agent misplayed these talks so badly, I do not think they can be repaired even if there is a signing.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Just thinking back, who was the last Bruins goalie to put up bad numbers in Boston and their system?

Blaine Lacher?

2007-2008 Manny Fernandez played 4 games and didn't look good. Was injured and never recovered. so 14 years ago?
Even raycroft won the Calder but the next year struggled mightily and Boston shipped him for rask.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You should revisit how this started, Swayman was the one who went to the media. Swayman is still going to the media, and unfortunately, he is losing the fan base which he pretty much had the vast majority in his corner. Sway and agent misplayed these talks so badly, I do not think they can be repaired even if there is a signing.
When the Bruins replacement level goalies start losing games will the fans hate Swayman more or less? I’m thinking the fans will direct their anger towards Neely and Sweeny for losing the club’s most important player.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
pretty shady on Boston to use the media to make Swayman look bad, I honestly would request a trade only because of that
Requesting a trade doesn’t mean much if no one wants to trade for him. Right before the season starts teams are not wanting a 9 million dollar goalie or even fit under the cap unless it’s a bottom feeder. And what bottom feeder is trading a 1st which would most likely be the ask for value when it’s gonna be a top 10 pick.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Requesting a trade doesn’t mean much if no one wants to trade for him. Right before the season starts teams are not wanting a 9 million dollar goalie or even fit under the cap unless it’s a bottom feeder. And what bottom feeder is trading a 1st which would most likely be the ask for value when it’s gonna be a top 10 pick.
Last goalie to get a top ten pick in a trade was Schneider. Bruins would get a good return for Swayman but likely it wouldn’t be a first rounder. More like a good (younger) player and an experienced goalie. Could be a later round pick added too. Someone mentioned Zegras + Gibson. Something like that.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yup...For a guy who isn't a legit #1 starter he wants to be paid like one...Attempting to attain what they want via social media has now sorta turned against them.

Swayman is likely traded, or signs a bridge deal with Boston...At this point if Swayman's camp were smart - he'd sign that bridge deal and shoulder the load by playing most of the games to prove his worth - whatever that might be.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Last goalie to get a top ten pick in a trade was Schneider. Bruins would get a good return for Swayman but likely it wouldn’t be a first rounder. More like a good (younger) player and an experienced goalie. Could be a later round pick added too. Someone mentioned Zegras + Gibson. Something like that.
Yeah I agree. I can see a trade with Detroit husso, chariot and a protected 1st (I added chariot to even salaries)

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

So the agent is allowed to leak things to Chicklets to drive the narrative and the team can’t respond?

In a situation like this where a guy is going to be missing the start of the season, it couldn’t be more important to have the fan base on your side. Bruins accomplished their goal.

Reactions: BostonBruins11

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Some of the material, which was provided to The Athletic in advance of the series’ Friday release, foreshadows and gives context to the contract stalemate the team and Swayman now find themselves in.

After his team’s Game 6 loss to the Florida Panthers at TD Garden, Swayman even wondered whether it was his final game as a Bruin.

“I was just thinking about that jersey, like, ‘Is it the last time?’ That’s when I was like, ‘Whoa,’” Swayman said on the show. “You’re skating around the Garden, you’re looking up and you’re hearing your name chanted and it’s like, ‘Whoa. Like … f—.’”

Swayman was the Bruins’ best player in the playoffs. Under normal circumstances, there would be no way the Bruins would move such a performer. But he was thinking about his expiring one-year, $3.475 million deal and how his ask might be beyond the Bruins’ reach. As such, he was being realistic about being traded.

“I don’t want it to end,” Swayman said. “It could be the last time I wear a Bruins jersey, and I know I’m going to do everything in my power to be a Bruin for a long time. As a kid growing up in Alaska, this wasn’t in my wildest f—ing dreams. I never want it to end and I’m just so grateful the sun’s going to rise tomorrow and there’s another opportunity to get better. Whatever I can do to help this team win, I know everything else will take care of itself.”

Swayman’s contract was also on his mind one series earlier. Before Game 7 against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Swayman was thinking about his future, not just that of his team.

“We don’t have to shy away from it,” Swayman said. “There’s a contract on the line. I want to treat every game as if it was my last because you really don’t know what the hell could happen. I’ll do whatever I can to not have regret when I look at myself in the mirror after it all. Yeah, I’m going to have to be a motherf—er in the net. Like, I’m not going to let anything go in. But why wouldn’t I smile, wink and have fun?”

Under all of this chip-on-his-shoulder approach is Swayman’s uncomfortable July 30, 2023, arbitration hearing. Swayman did not enjoy what he heard. It fueled him for all of 2023-24. It still does today.

“When you go into that room, you don’t say a word,” Swayman said. “My arbitrator started first, he said all of these great things. The arbitrator on their side, their job is to help the management side and to rip players, and hearing that you’re not worthy of what you think you’re worthy of, that was hard to hear. You don’t forget what was said. I wrote ’em down and I looked at ’em the other day and I had a couple of checkmarks. My biggest knock was how I wasn’t trustworthy in the playoffs. Check.”

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
money over fans. another city full of fans just like u guys

I bet teams would pay him 9m, caps going up remember that. maybe trading Ullmark so soon was a bad idea but I wouldnt do Boston any favors after the 8x8 comments to the media.

So the agent is allowed to leak things to Chicklets to drive the narrative and the team can’t respond?

In a situation like this where a guy is going to be missing the start of the season, it couldn’t be more important to have the fan base on your side. Bruins accomplished their goal.
what exactly did he leak? was it numbers at all? I dont recall seeing any real numbers till Boston

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I bet teams would pay him 9m, caps going up remember that. maybe trading Ullmark so soon was a bad idea but I wouldnt do Boston any favors after the 8x8 comments to the media.

what exactly did he leak? was it numbers at all? I dont recall seeing any real numbers till Boston

Zero good to great teams are trading for him today and giving him 9M per season

And booboo for Boston being tough on him

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

There was the “Bruins didn’t call in three weeks” there was “Bruins making insulting offers”. No specific numbers from chiclets but there was the “Bruins offering in the sixes” from the national media guys.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
He hasn't even played a full season as a starter, I understand wanting to be paid but it comes to a point that you need to prove over a full season you're worth that much.

I'm sorry but Swayman is in the wrong here, never won a Venzia or a Cup has been sheltered behind Ullmark until this season.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This will likely become a case study for teams on how to handle arbitration; don't play hardball for one season of cap relief, alienating your player. It might come back to bite you long-term
Definitely don’t squeeze your most important players. This is Neely and Sweeny though. Not exactly 100 watt bulbs. They are clearly arrogant though. To a fault. Neely’s comments at the presser conveyed those issues.,

Reactions: leafsfan5

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Zero good to great teams are trading for him today and giving him 9M per season

And booboo for Boston being tough on him
I dont thik anyone outside of Boston really care lol. dont sign him, doesnt bother anyone.

There was the “Bruins didn’t call in three weeks” there was “Bruins making insulting offers”. No specific numbers from chiclets but there was the “Bruins offering in the sixes” from the national media guys.
not sure whats so bad about that, not worse than using the media to make Swayman look bad and get the fanbase on his case.

at this point i wouldnt sign with Boston unless they overpaid. they have no ground to stand on.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Arbitration can be a brutal process, even when it's just about dollars and cents. I'm involved in them regularly, albeit on a much smaller scale, and people can take things quite personally because at the end of the day, it's an inherently adversarial procedure.

I wonder, do NHL teams and agents ever look at something like private mediation when negotiations hit a stand still? Some neutral intermediary whose job isn't to reach a binding decision, but to counsel the parties toward a compromise and avoid a hearing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad