Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's almost double his salary from last year.
That's not a good rule to use for contracts. If he's signing 8 years, I strongly think he holds out on the long term contract and signs shorter, if 6 is the number.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
That's not a good rule to use for contracts. If he's signing 8 years, I strongly think he holds out on the long term contract and signs shorter, if 6 is the number.
He should get more than 5.5 but depends on how long signing for. I think 3 years at 6- 6.5 be fair. If ends up on 8 year contract probably end up 7-8 million which if was Bruins management would not want.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
If they haven't started already, the Bruins should be shopping Swayman, see if another sucker is willing to overpay the guy for his microscopic career accomplishments. Perhaps Waddell would bite.

In Boston, the goaltending benefits from the team system in front more than the team benefits from goaltending. Boston might as well give Korpisalo a chance at this point. Shop Swayman, maybe even break him down mentally for f***ing with the franchise as a bonus.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trading Ullmark before you had a deal with Swayman was stupid the minute it happened.

All you did was give the guy a stronger bargaining position.
One way or another they gave up leverage. Sign swayman first and everyone knows Ullmark is a goner. But yeah this looks like its back firing.

I dont know why the old 8 X 8 hasnt got done yet. Its fair for both sides, I feel like thats the inevitable deal.

If they haven't started already, the Bruins should be shopping Swayman, see if another sucker is willing to overpay the guy for his microscopic career accomplishments. Perhaps Waddell would bite.

In Boston, the goaltending benefits from the team system in front more than the team benefits from goaltending. Boston might as well give Korpisalo a chance at this point. Shop Swayman, maybe even break him down mentally for f***ing with the franchise as a bonus.
That was true before last year, they truly did rely on great goaltending last year. All the metrics and the eye test backed that up which is why Swayman has so much more leverage. He was the difference in the series against Toronto he was the best player. He was the reason Florida didnt destroy them too. He's the real deal he knows it and so does everyone else.

Korpisalo was the worst goalie in the NHL last year. That is not a good plan, he was beyond bad.

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

So Boston who had both Ulmark and Swayman, 2 number 1 goalies that shared the net will have none of them next season?? Thats a huge backward step. If Canucks think Demko injuries will always be a concern maybe they should trade him with Swayman straight up and sign Swayman. I guess a healthy number 1 is better than an alway injured superstar goalie

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
One way or another they gave up leverage. Sign swayman first and everyone knows Ullmark is a goner. But yeah this looks like its back firing.

I dont know why the old 8 X 8 hasnt got done yet. Its fair for both sides, I feel like thats the inevitable deal.

That was true before last year, they truly did rely on great goaltending last year. All the metrics and the eye test backed that up which is why Swayman has so much more leverage. He was the difference in the series against Toronto he was the best player. He was the reason Florida didnt destroy them too. He's the real deal he knows it and so does everyone else.

Korpisalo was the worst goalie in the NHL last year. That is not a good plan, he was beyond bad.

I think I'd rather get a lesser pick for Ullmark than get taken to the cleaners for the next 8 years by Swayman.

Especially considering Pasta and McAvoy already have huge contracts.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland

I think Bruins are going to be stuck with Swayman because what they will get for him wont be good compensation unless they have other ideas for finding another goalie to play more than half the games. Swayman signs gets them 60-65 points. Korpisalo with about 35 points. They end up with around 100-105 points.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

& if (likely when) Korpisalo fails, then what? They dont have any good goalie prospects waiting in the wings / not he cusp of being NHL ready.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

Korpisalo was always a decent/good goalie for his entire career, until he went to Ottawa. Weird how that works.

& if (likely when) Korpisalo fails, then what? They dont have any good goalie prospects waiting in the wings / not he cusp of being NHL ready.
Bussi is one year older than Swayman, has almost the same sv% in AHL that Swayman had and has 60+ more games played in the AHL than Swayman did went he went to Boston full time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Korpisalo was always a decent/good goalie for his entire career, until he went to Ottawa. Weird how that works.

Bussi is one year older than Swayman, has almost the same sv% in AHL that Swayman had and has 60+ more games played in the AHL than Swayman did went he went to Boston full time.
Not true at all do some research next time.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Swayman is a fool. No team is going to pay him an 8 year, $9.5m AAV deal. He's going to sit out for nothing as I don't see the Bruins FO bending to this especially since he's not proven much.

-Vasilevskiy finished 3rd and 1st in Vezina voting the years before his contract was signed. He finished 3rd that season the deal was inked. He's won 2 Cups and had a Vezina runner-up season since then.

-Bobrovsky won 2 Vezina's, had a top 3 and top 5 Hart season before his big contract. He finished 3rd in Vezina voting this year and was awesome in a Cup run. Outside of this season that contract has hardly been worth it.

-Hellebuyck had a Vezina win and finishes of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in Vezina voting before his deal. He won a Vezina last year.

Swayman had a career high of 43 starts last year and a top7 Vezina finish. He wants an elite contract because of what, a Jennings trophy that he only played 40% of the games for? GTFO. He'd have to be a regular top 3 Vezina threat and a playoff monster for that deal to be worth it and he hasn't proven that ability yet whatsoever.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really starting to seem like this is headed towards a shorter term medium raise deal. Part of the reason the Bruins have been so competitive for so long is because they keep their cap structure consistent. Swayman's great but he's not above the team.

I do hope Sweeney manages to get at least a year of UFA, preferably two.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Swayman is a fool. No team is going to pay him an 8 year, $9.5m AAV deal. He's going to sit out for nothing as I don't see the Bruins FO bending to this especially since he's not proven much.
It's a game of poker. Let's say that the season starts with Swayman unsigned. The Bruins have a sluggish start, and Korpisalo doesn't look good. What other option you have at that point?

Now it can also go the other way. Maybe Korpisalo looks really good, and the Bruins can actually lower the AAV because "we don't need you". But even in that case, I'd imagine that Swayman would take a shorter deal at that point and see where it goes in the next few years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How do you trade Ullmark without at least the framework of a deal in place with Swayman?

Well if they didn't trade Ullmark before UFA started they couldn't go grab Lindholm and Zadorov without leaving them open to Swayman getting an offer sheet they couldn't match.

Now, it's just a waiting game. Bruins only play 25 games before Dec 1st. And Swayman was probably going to be starting 16 or 17 of those. If the team can't overcome that then they weren't going to be good anyway.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
.903 his whole career before Ottawa, mostly playing behind terrible Columbus teams, then .890 in one year for the horrific Sens.
You ok? is .903 good? Since 2017 he has had better than a .900 save percentage in two seasons. Its ok if you dont want to do any work or want to work in the realm of reality. He's a mental midget that cant make a save when a game matters.

Boston had just as bad metrics as Ottawa did last year in terms of quality shot given up. But I am sure you knew that too.

• Haha
Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's a game of poker. Let's say that the season starts with Swayman unsigned. The Bruins have a sluggish start, and Korpisalo doesn't look good. What other option you have at that point?

Now it can also go the other way. Maybe Korpisalo looks really good, and the Bruins can actually lower the AAV because "we don't need you". But even in that case, I'd imagine that Swayman would take a shorter deal at that point and see where it goes in the next few years.
Overpay a goalie who hasn't earned it and hasn't been able to get into game shape because he missed camp?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad