The Battle for USA-CAN Dual Citizen Players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Dual citizenship has always been an interesting and touchy subject that leads to speculation, from prospects to pros. The most interesting is the USA/CAN players, as we have had a few interesting cases like Oleksiak, Matteau, Myers and more that I'm missing.

One to watch and I've noticed is Jakob Chychrun (Canadian father, but born and played in USA during his youth), 1st overall pick in the OHL. His request to play the USHL early was turned down by USAH. He represented Team Ontario and looks like he's in Canada's U17 challenge camp. Signs are pointing that he may end up on Canada's side even though he was born and developed in the USA, but we won't know until an IIHF tournament (Cole Cassels played for Ontario in the U17 challenge but tried for Team USA later on).

Any other interesting cases that we have had in the past?

Who are some players that we should be watching now for their decision?

Who's winning this battle at the moment?

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Dual citizenship has always been an interesting and touchy subject that leads to speculation, from prospects to pros. The most interesting is the USA/CAN players, as we have had a few interesting cases like Oleksiak, Matteau, Myers and more that I'm missing.

One to watch and I've noticed is Jakob Chychrun (Canadian father, but born and played in USA during his youth), 1st overall pick in the OHL. His request to play the USHL early was turned down by USAH. He represented Team Ontario and looks like he's in Canada's U17 challenge camp. Signs are pointing that he may end up on Canada's side even though he was born and developed in the USA, but we won't know until an IIHF tournament (Cole Cassels played for Ontario in the U17 challenge but tried for Team USA later on).

Any other interesting cases that we have had in the past?

Who are some players that we should be watching now for their decision?

Who's winning this battle at the moment?

I dunno about going forward?...But you Yanks are ahead on pts + still owe us for the Golden Brett

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's all Brett Hull's fault. Damn you, Brett.

Actually, If the player has dual citizenship and the option to choose, then he should be free to make that choice without hearing or reading what we have to say about it. We should just shut it.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It's all Brett Hull's fault. Damn you, Brett.

Actually, If the player has dual citizenship and the option to choose, then he should be free to make that choice without hearing or reading what we have to say about it. We should just shut it.

I seem to recall Brett was snubbed from a Canadian World Junior Team , Wasn't even invited to camp cause of his skating. Think the coach might have been Dave King...

That snub, supposedly, led to Brett becoming a leading light for Team USA...winning World Cup 1996, yadda yadda

Big BIG MISTAKE by Dave King & Company :cry:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I seem to recall Brett was snubbed from a Canadian World Junior Team , Wasn't even invited to camp cause of his skating. Think the coach might have been Dave King...

That snub, supposedly, led to Brett becoming a leading light for Team USA...winning World Cup 1996, yadda yadda

Big BIG MISTAKE by Dave King & Company :cry:

I thought the snub came at the 84 Canada Cup. but, not 100% sure... you may be right...maybe it was the 87 Canada Cup... but either way, there was a snub in there somewhere.

According to Wikipedia it was the 86 World Hockey Championships that the Team Canada snub occurred. He then played for the U.S. at the very same WHC.

Last edited:
Reactions: pi314

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Most North Americans don't even know that there are citizenship rules in place for dual nats, you can't always just pick a side.

For a player like Chychrun that holds dual citizenship, he has to play at least 2 years after age 10 (use to be 12 until this year) in Canada to be eligible for Canada. If there was an IIHF event today, he wouldn't be eligible for Canada because he has only played 1 full season in the country.

There are exceptions. For example if Chychrun was born in Canada and/or never had an American passport, he could apply to represent Canada and shouldn't encounter any problems.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I dunno about going forward?...But you Yanks are ahead on pts + still owe us for the Golden Brett

Yeah Brett is the most infamous case lol, but I was talking more about recently, like with prospects+active NHLers. Similar to Brett would be Pominville, who was born and grew up in Canada but got an opportunity to play because of American mother, whereas they wouldn't have played at all otherwise. Chychrun seems to be the opposite of this case if he does go with Canada.

Most North Americans don't even know that there are citizenship rules in place for dual nats, you can't always just pick a side.

For a player like Chychrun that holds dual citizenship, he has to play at least 2 years after age 10 (use to be 12 until this year) in Canada to be eligible for Canada. If there was an IIHF event today, he wouldn't be eligible for Canada because he has only played 1 full season in the country.

There are exceptions. For example if Chychrun was born in Canada and/or never had an American passport, he could apply to represent Canada and shouldn't encounter any problems.

True, pretty much the Matteau ruling, which is why Chychrun is an interesting case here. He could still end up playing for US if the US offers him a spot at the U18 to entice him because he would have to wait 2 years otherwise. Given this information, Chychrun couldn't even be locked into Canada until WJCs at the earliest because he would be 18 in 2 years no? So it's still very realistic that he ends up on USA, guess time will tell (playing for Canada at the U17 challenge isn't any big indicator, maybe he's still planning to play for the US in the future?)

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I thought the snub came at the 84 Canada Cup. but, not 100% sure... you may be right...maybe it was the 87 Canada Cup... but either way, there was a snub in there somewhere.

According to Wikipedia it was the 86 World Hockey Championships that the Team Canada snub occurred. He then played for the U.S. at the very same WHC.

Ah yes, it appears you are right. Still World Juniors was the story I heard....Easy mistake to make since Dave King was coach for our 82 + 83 World Juniors, and also coached our WC 1986 team

Either way King gets the blame ( or so the story goes ) for Brett starRing for The Stars n Stripes steada Team Maple Leaf

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah Brett is the most infamous case lol, but I was talking more about recently, like with prospects+active NHLers. Similar to Brett would be Pominville, who was born and grew up in Canada but got an opportunity to play because of American mother, whereas they wouldn't have played at all otherwise. Chychrun seems to be the opposite of this case if he does go with Canada.

True, pretty much the Matteau ruling, which is why Chychrun is an interesting case here. He could still end up playing for US if the US offers him a spot at the U18 to entice him because he would have to wait 2 years otherwise. Given this information, Chychrun couldn't even be locked into Canada until WJCs at the earliest because he would be 18 in 2 years no?

He would be eligible to play for Canada at next year's IIHF U18 if available as an underager (next year the IIHF U18 tournment is for players born in 97) after the completion of the 2014/15 season, he would have fulfilled the 2 season requirement. That's my take on his situation.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's not really a battle. Most of the elite players choose Canada. Even Brett Hull has essentially said he would have choose Canada (by saying he views himself as Canadian) if they chose him when he wanted to play.

This rule exists but is it consistently enforced? For example, Galchenyuk has only one year of hockey in the US and he was able to represent the USA internationally. To date he still only has one year.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He would be eligible to play for Canada at next year's IIHF U18 if available as an underager (next year the IIHF U18 tournment is for players born in 97) after the completion of the 2014/15 season, he would have fulfilled the 2 season requirement. That's my take on his situation.

Ahh you're right I forgot he played for the Jr.Canadiens in Toronto so he pretty much only has to play his rookie season in the OHL.

It's not really a battle. Most of the elite players choose Canada. Even Brett Hull has essentially said he would have choose Canada (by saying he views himself as Canadian) if they chose him when he wanted to play.

This rule exists but is it consistently enforced? For example, Galchenyuk has only one year of hockey in the US and he was able to represent the USA internationally. To date he still only has one year.

They did enforced this by not allowing Stefan Matteau to play for the US in the U18.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Yeah I think that's right - because he already played a year in Canada (when he played midget).

For the person who was asking about Galchenyuk, IIRC he gave up his Russian citizenship a bit before the NHL draft...so i now only a US citizen.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Canada is "winning" in the sense that more of these players seem to choose Canada. Most of them have stronger Canadian ties, so that makes sense.

USA is "winning" in that they have benefited from this situation more than Canada has thus far. I can't think of any dual players who were trained moreso in the United States than Canada and then chose Canada, though Day and Chychrun look like they will change that.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
More Canadian born players choose to settle in the US after playing days are finished than the other way around. US wins on that. Thank you Canada.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Canada is "winning" in the sense that more of these players seem to choose Canada. Most of them have stronger Canadian ties, so that makes sense.

USA is "winning" in that they have benefited from this situation more than Canada has thus far. I can't think of any dual players who were trained moreso in the United States than Canada and then chose Canada, though Day and Chychrun look like they will change that.

Griffin Luce and Michael Campoli played all their minor hockey in Canada and will represent the USA and play for the NTDP for the next two seasons. I think having dual citizenship gives these kids options and for kids who do not want to close the door on their NCAA eligibility the NTDP is a no brainier.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I've always found Evgeni Nabokov to be an interesting case, since he played for Kazakhstan at the Olympics and then was allowed to play for Russia in a different Olympics.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I've always found Evgeni Nabokov to be an interesting case, since he played for Kazakhstan at the Olympics and then was allowed to play for Russia in a different Olympics.

I think the IIHF operates much like the U.N. Security Council, if you are 1 of the big 5, you pretty much can tell the IIHF how it's going to go down.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Is Day a US citizen? Kevin Dineen played most of his minor hockey in the U.S. but I think he was only a Canadian citizen at the time.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
This is a list I compiled a couple of years ago of players who played for the US in IIHF tournaments from 1977 who played most of their hockey in Canada prior to the age of 18:

Kevin McCloskey
Bob Crawford
Ed Hospodar
Venci Sebek
Moe Mantha
Tom Fergus
Brett Hull
Bill Lindsay
Brent Bilodeau
Adam Deadmarsh
Ashlin Halfnight
Jason McBain