OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Emergency alerts now for Halifax. Report of possible gunshot(s) in 2 areas. Hopefully a false alarm or isolated incidents. Better not be another mass shooting.

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So far so good. One weapons complaint on an airsoft gun and another was construction equipment. Still 1 or more calls being investigated.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You should ask me for tips, I have immaculate taste.
Besides that weird pop Finnish power metal band you post, you definitely do. :sarcasm: That Top Gun song is amazing though, don't be hatin' that.

Which reminds me, is Amorphis the most popular band in Finland as metal is more prominent in the country compared to others? Or does pop music still reign supreme?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Besides that weird pop Finnish power metal band you post, you definitely do. :sarcasm: That Top Gun song is amazing though, don't be hatin' that.
Which one is that?

Which reminds me, is Amorphis the most popular band in Finland as metal is more prominent in the country compared to others? Or does pop music still reign supreme?
No, it definitely isn't. Bands like Amorphis and especially HIM are appreciated and recognized somewhat widely though, because Finns love international success of anything vaguely Finnish except Nico Rosberg.

Still, housewives listen to Finnish and English language pop music. And housewives somehow sway that market completely.

Metal is for sure more mainstream than in most other places, but it's still not pop or rap. Also, how is it that unless they're the most hood, women only ever listen to bad rap? Hey women, there's different rap.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Which one is that?

No, it definitely isn't. Bands like Amorphis and especially HIM are appreciated and recognized somewhat widely though, because Finns love international success of anything vaguely Finnish except Nico Rosberg.

Still, housewives listen to Finnish and English language pop music. And housewives somehow sway that market completely.

Metal is for sure more mainstream than in most other places, but it's still not pop or rap. Also, how is it that unless they're the most hood, women only ever listen to bad rap? Hey women, there's different rap.
There's some fairly high profile modern metal bands coming out of Finland, but I'd say they're only really "popular" in the weird niche communities I'm a part of. Battle Beast is one that might be about to break out internationally, but I'm also a big fan of Dark Sarah and Beast in Black.

And, of course, Insomnium, which is rightfully considered one of the greatest melodeath bands of all time.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Eh, it won't make any difference. They'll just shove someone else into the big chair.

Not having his line of succession could cause a real power struggle. His sister is probably the front runner, but the society isn't built around a female leader. I could see the country spiralling out of control.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not having his line of succession could cause a real power struggle. His sister is probably the front runner, but the society isn't built around a female leader. I could see the country spiralling out of control.

I doubt it--it's a permanent military junta and the local populace has been so brainwashed and starved they could hardly offer up any resistance.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I doubt it--it's a permanent military junta and the local populace has been so brainwashed and starved they could hardly offer up any resistance.

I don't see the populace rising up, more on a fight for power between military leaders and his sister. Kim Jong Un was given his power by his dad and still had to consolidate. Not having a real heir and the logical face being female is sure to lead to some chaos.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Which one is that?
That Mad Max music video one.

Interesting, so I was pretty much wrong because even though Amorphis gets a lot of views for being in the metal genre, it completely slipped my mind that Nightwish is also from your homeland. How popular are they in Finland? Bad rap is the same in the USA, but you probably see what USA makes famous such as Nicki Minaj and anybody that is associated with her. Poland is all about Europop stuff known as DiscoPolo, if you can dance to it then it goes to the top of the chart.

E: Why Rosberg? If I was Finnish I would hate Vettel more, but you might be talking about different Rosberg.

This was one of the more popular songs for a bit and even had success outside of Polska.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There's some fairly high profile modern metal bands coming out of Finland, but I'd say they're only really "popular" in the weird niche communities I'm a part of. Battle Beast is one that might be about to break out internationally, but I'm also a big fan of Dark Sarah and Beast in Black.

And, of course, Insomnium, which is rightfully considered one of the greatest melodeath bands of all time.
Battle Beast and Beast in Black get airplay on the creatively named "Radio Rock". And let me tell you now, Battle Beast is so awful.
That Mad Max music video one.
You mean Bat Country? Wrong.

Interesting, so I was pretty much wrong because even though Amorphis gets a lot of views for being in the metal genre, it completely slipped my mind that Nightwish is also from your homeland. How popular are they in Finland?
I mean they are, but in my experience mostly among weird metal head women who listen to Within Temptation, Nightwish and Battle Beast. But Nightwish is one of those bands that people still appreciate and recognize.

Bad rap is the same in the USA, but you probably see what USA makes famous such as Nicki Minaj and anybody that is associated with her.
Nicki is not a bad rapper. I'm talking about the male auto tune pop rappers like Travis Scott.

Poland is all about Europop stuff known as DiscoPolo, if you can dance to it then it goes to the top of the chart.
Still?

E: Why Rosberg? If I was Finnish I would hate Vettel more, but you might be talking about different Rosberg.
Because he's actively not Finnish.

Vettel on the other hand has learned Finnish off his conditioning coaches, sworn in Finnish on air, given flattering statements about Finland, and got invited to the Independence Day party for asking about it in Finnish. We also love it when someone foreign does good PR for us.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Battle Beast and Beast in Black get airplay on the creatively named "Radio Rock". And let me tell you now, Battle Beast is so awful.
If you're into the cheesy retro rock thing it goes down smoother. Their first album with a different singer was by far their best. Much more of a traditional power metal deal.

I will say though, they are amazing live. IMO that's what's getting them the attention. I've seen them open twice and both times they blew people away. Whatever else you can say about them, they know how to throw a party. There were rumors right before COVID hit that they were about a book a proper US headlining run, which is kind of the gold standard in success in melodic metal because generally American tastes are shit, and if you can sell tickets to even a moderately small venue you're doing pretty well.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
So, here I am, rocking out to Celldweller. :laugh: I thought I would check it out. It's not bad, although completely out of the normal range of music I usually listen to.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Post Malone's COVID Nirvana Tribute is f***ing great.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Post Malone, MGK and the like always get to trot out Travis Barker on drums.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad