OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If you don't like Seinfeld after five-ten episodes, you won't like Seinfeld at all. It's pretty much the same throughout even though they got a bit better at figuring out what makes the character tick. Not everything is for everyone.

I've been re-watching Band of Brothers. Still holding up as well as it did first time I watched it more than 15 years ago. Luckily I've forgotten so much it feels like a new experience.

Reactions: Murzu

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If you don't like Seinfeld after five-ten episodes, you won't like Seinfeld at all. It's pretty much the same throughout even though they got a bit better at figuring out what makes the character tick. Not everything is for everyone.

I've been re-watching Band of Brothers. Still holding up as well as it did first time I watched it more than 15 years ago. Luckily I've forgotten so much it feels like a new experience.

Yeah, I've never understood the Seinfeld thing. It's OK, a few shows were money, but in general....meh.

Band of Brothers is awesome. Just all out great.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So not that anybody cares, but I finally got to Dream Theatre - Distance over Time and I fully enjoyed it. As you lot know, I am super picking in some of the things I like such as music, but I thought it was a step in the right direction for the band which has had some really average and below-average albums for the last couple of releases. Like The Astonishing wasn't actually that bad, but had just so many songs and because of that it was sort of left down because some of them were useless. Like they didn't really understand that not all the songs should make a record and decided to put everything they wrote on it lol. Their self-titled album wasn't that bad either, but didn't really have any memorable tracks like I think I'll find with Distance of Time. I won't even touch A Dramatic Turn of Events because it was so brutal and boring to listen to.

I think Distance over Time is an album that doesn't really have any strong points, but is built as a solid album from top to bottom. One song I didn't like was "At a Wit's End", but I actually grabbed the instrumental version as I thought it sounded better. There are some songs - which definitely require more listenings' but - that I'll notice will become my favourite such as "S2N", "Out of Reach", and "Untethered Angel". "Room 137" sounds very ELO-ish with DT's signature heavy sound, which actually has a really nice blend of genres within it.
I disagree about A Dramatic Turn of Events, I think it has decent songs.

At Wit's End was actually the encore on the tour. Which wasn't ideal, but hearing a good deal of that album live definitely helped appreciate it. They opened with Untethered Angel and it was LIT.

In fact, I'll listen to that album again when I go for a run in a bit.

Barstool Warrior was one of the songs that I wasn't that into and then I heard it live and liked it. I hope the live club they were at doesn't go out of business now... The city was just starting to pull artists way bigger than the northern location would suggest.

I'm forever kicking myself for not going to see AIC, for shit's sake that's one of my favorite bands.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Curb Your Enthusiam > Seinfeld

x8FDaj8.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I disagree about A Dramatic Turn of Events, I think it has decent songs.

At Wit's End was actually the encore on the tour. Which wasn't ideal, but hearing a good deal of that album live definitely helped appreciate it. They opened with Untethered Angel and it was LIT.

In fact, I'll listen to that album again when I go for a run in a bit.

Barstool Warrior was one of the songs that I wasn't that into and then I heard it live and liked it. I hope the live club they were at doesn't go out of business now... The city was just starting to pull artists way bigger than the northern location would suggest.

I'm forever kicking myself for not going to see AIC, for shit's sake that's one of my favorite bands.
The problem with ADToE is that's the album which Portnoy wanted a year or two break from, which none of the rest of the band wanted and caused that huge fiasco where Mike was kicked out. So upon hearing it, I agree with his statements where the band needed a bit of a break, the music on ADToE was very dull. That isn't to say there are not good songs out it, I quite like "On the Backs of Angels", "Outcry", and "Lost Not Forgotten". However, even if they possess good sound, doesn't mean they have the "it" factor that were on previous albums. Plus that album cover is an effin' joke as far as I am concerned and just everything combined (from the music, fiasco, style) just puts too much of a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I think that's what is going to happen to me as well - more listens will eventually make me grow with the album. "Barstool Warrior" is a stupid title for a band such as DT, but the song is quite melodic and I like it. The beginning is particularly good, which could rival one of their best openings for a song with "Surrender to Reason".

You can always take a ferry ride to Germany if that's the case considering they got a shitton of those prog metal and power metal feasts. Hell, Germany is one of those countries where a band like Blind Guardian can actually make a living in lol. Sorry to hear about AIC, but again they will probably eventually tour somewhere in main-land Europe or Stockholm and it should be a fairly simply trip. That's one of the benefits of Europe, try taking a train from Denver to Chicago. Sure it exists, but is like 2x that of a plane ticket even with all the hassle of an airport.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The problem with ADToE is that's the album which Portnoy wanted a year or two break from, which none of the rest of the band wanted and caused that huge fiasco where Mike was kicked out. So upon hearing it, I agree with his statements where the band needed a bit of a break, the music on ADToE was very dull. That isn't to say there are not good songs out it, I quite like "On the Backs of Angels", "Outcry", and "Lost Not Forgotten". However, even if they possess good sound, doesn't mean they have the "it" factor that were on previous albums. Plus that album cover is an effin' joke as far as I am concerned and just everything combined (from the music, fiasco, style) just puts too much of a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I think that's what is going to happen to me as well - more listens will eventually make me grow with the album. "Barstool Warrior" is a stupid title for a band such as DT, but the song is quite melodic and I like it. The beginning is particularly good, which could rival one of their best openings for a song with "Surrender to Reason".

You can always take a ferry ride to Germany if that's the case considering they got a shitton of those prog metal and power metal feasts. Hell, Germany is one of those countries where a band like Blind Guardian can actually make a living in lol. Sorry to hear about AIC, but again they will probably eventually tour somewhere in main-land Europe or Stockholm and it should be a fairly simply trip. That's one of the benefits of Europe, try taking a train from Denver to Chicago. Sure it exists, but is like 2x that of a plane ticket even with all the hassle of an airport.
For real, the title "Barstool Warrior" was originally a big reason why I kind of glanced over the song.

Also, an update from my jog this morning, about halfway through Nightmare came on and I had to tell myself not to headbang to the riff, because I'm a guy jogging in public and not a member of Anthrax.

Yeah, real average Finnish bands have been doing that for a long time. "I don't really like them that much, but I think they have some success in Germany and Japan."

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Everybody loves Raymond has a major soft spot for me okay. I love it.

Mostly because the grandma Marie reminds me of my grandmother a lot.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Everybody loves Raymond has a major soft spot for me okay. I love it.

Mostly because the grandma Marie reminds me of my grandmother a lot.
Hey, you like what you like. I just thought you were f***ing with us :laugh:

All that matters to me is that you have Malcolm in the Middle in that list.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Big Bang Theory > King of Queens > The Jeff Foxworthy Show > Larry the Cable Guy Laughing At His Farts in the Bathtub >>> Seinfeld.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad