OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
ha that's wild. I let my guests have it set to whatever. I just have a bunch of automations to reset everything when they check out
I'd walk out and fight the charges if that happened to me. I legit have a hard time sleeping when temps are above 70... and 80 my ass would be swampier than the Everglades. I've had my fair share of AirBNB/VRBO horror stories, but at least that hasn't happened.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd walk out and fight the charges if that happened to me. I legit have a hard time sleeping when temps are above 70... and 80 my ass would be swampier than the Everglades. I've had my fair share of AirBNB/VRBO horror stories, but at least that hasn't happened.
Drove down for a wedding just north of Anchorage. We stayed a Best Western out on a big lake in Palmer. Checked in dumped the bags and headed right out to the wedding. Got back at 2am and there's no AC. It's not like they turned off, we had failed to realize and they certainly didn't advertise the fact that their rooms lacked the amenity. But man, it had been approaching the 90s that day. Neither of us could sleep, so the wife and I just packed up and took two hour shifts driving back to Fairbanks instead of spending the night. They wouldn't refund us, so I contested the charge and won. I imagine more than a few folks did the same as the last time I was looking for a hotel around Anchorage, they popped up and I noticed that it distinctly said "No A/C" now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Drove down for a wedding just north of Anchorage. We stayed a Best Western out on a big lake in Palmer. Checked in dumped the bags and headed right out to the wedding. Got back at 2am and there's no AC. It's not like they turned off, we had failed to realize and they certainly didn't advertise the fact that their rooms lacked the amenity. But man, it had been approaching the 90s that day. Neither of us could sleep, so the wife and I just packed up and took two hour shifts driving back to Fairbanks instead of spending the night. They wouldn't refund us, so I contested the charge and won. I imagine more than a few folks did the same as the last time I was looking for a hotel around Anchorage, they popped up and I noticed that it distinctly said "No A/C" now.
In today's day and age, it should be advertised. It is expected in hotels/motels and now airbnbs. I'd hope that place learned from it.

With how inexpensive it is nowadays... not sure why places don't retrofit if they want business. There will be a bump next year with the move to A2Ls... but still dirt cheap and so many tax credits and write offs available. As a business, you're lighting money on fire from opportunity cost.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
In today's day and age, it should be advertised. It is expected in hotels/motels and now airbnbs. I'd hope that place learned from it.

With how inexpensive it is nowadays... not sure why places don't retrofit if they want business. There will be a bump next year with the move to A2Ls... but still dirt cheap and so many tax credits and write offs available. As a business, you're lighting money on fire from opportunity cost.
Man, the front desk person told me they'd offer me a box fan but had already loaned out their last one. :facepalm:

I obviously took the first shift driving home as I was still way too hot (both literally and figuratively) to sleep afterwards.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can my Finnish brethren tell me what the f*** is going on here?

Man, I made the mistake of turning on subtitles. Even though they used mostly English words, it reads a lot like a drunk foreigner trying to play Mad Libs.

I should have just finished the video in Finnish, nodding along like a good boy. Not only do I have more questions now than when I started, one of those questions now revolves around my life choices.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Can my Finnish brethren tell me what the f*** is going on here?

A guy that makes/made weird ranting videos reacts to the fact that licorice pipes were going to get banned.

It's "humor" and he completely missed the point. The reason for the ban (they're not banned now AFAIK) was the pipe shape, not the licorice itself like he is trying to paint there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A guy that makes/made weird ranting videos reacts to the fact that licorice pipes were going to get banned.

It's "humor" and he completely missed the point. The reason for the ban (they're not banned now AFAIK) was the pipe shape, not the licorice itself like he is trying to paint there.
So the weird, more disgusting cousin of candy cigarettes are banned?

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Get your hand off my penis!
3aa528b8-cc1f-4a42-ae19-19492b324efa_text.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Y'all watching House of the Dragon? If so, did you dislike the second season as much as I did?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I haven't even bootlegged it. Ending of GoT left such a bad taste in my mouth I won't even bother with it
I never really minded how GOT ended, but they way they got there over the last season and a half was absolute horseshit. You could really tell the exact moment in the show where they went beyond what GRR Martin had written. Mostly, the motivation behind peoples actions becaome more and more unhinged without any real composition or thought given to it as it would have been done in book format.

LotR was lucky in that all of the source material, including all the footnotes from the end of Return of the King as well as the Simarillion and all of Christopher Tolkein's works that published his father's unfinished stories and notes were released. There was a wealth of information for them to pull upon to make the movie as good as it could be. In the end, all I can say is that GOT had half a script and while it lasted it was one of the better TV shows I have ever seen. It was pushing up to the level of Band of Brothers for me, but never quite got there. Had it ended at the conclusion of A Dance with Dragons, it would have been much better off I think.

I'm kind of interested in getting into House of the Dragon, because as it's not based on a half completed manuscript, they may be able to achieve a better balanced story. Would be interested in hearing some more takes before committing to a show of this potential length.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moops

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any of you boys ever go to Urban Egg in Colorado Springs?

I went to the one in Denver, and it's a pretty legit breakfast spot if you're into an American-style breakfast (chicken and waffles, eggs with toast, protein bowls, omelettes, etc.). Also, Colorado Springs is a really pretty city; I am sad he did not travel along Street View.

E: His American accent is solid though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad