OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
6a9d84f6-7697-40a0-ad6c-988a819df87e_text.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I kinda feel this 'consequence' culture (just another stupid name for cancel culture) as they are terming it was a bit inevitable. The pendulum has just swung to the right. It is beyond stupid, puritanical, and authoritarian. It was when the left was doing it too. What I absolutely hate the most is the doxxing of people for a bad comment.... there's a segment of the right that is calling up people's places of work and actively trying to ruin peoples' lives. That is flatly unacceptable (the left has done this too in the past). Kyle Gass will survive and come out the other side. Might be a while which is still stupid, but he'll be okay. The average person who said something stupid on twitter getting their place of work called repeatedly so that person gets fired is the absolute worst.

People should absolutely not be canceled for stupid thoughts, doing something childish, making a bad joke, etc. If person murders, rapes, etc... they absolutely deserve it. But here's the thing, let the legal system take care of it. Our legal system is far from perfect, but we have it for a reason. It is like we read The Scarlet Letter and decided the punishment was just.
I don't know why America went from Hank Williams Sr. philosophy of "Well, if you're minding your own business, then you won't be minding mine." to being consumed by being in a state of constant vigilance looking for every reason to be offended and then doing everything they can to destroy that person's entire life over what amounts to a bad timed joke.

We've gone raving mad. Galileo was imprisoned for suggesting the Earth actually rotated around the Sun as everyone else believed the Earth was divine and all the universe revolved around us. So we prove that wrong, but now we've got a high percentage of the population believing that they as an individual are the center of the Universe. The sheer ego and superiority complex that the cancel culture exhibits would be pretty freaking incredibile if it was so f'in sad. So many people with nothing better to do than literally run around and look for reasons to be offended.

I should probably go find another topic to derail because I have a feeling that I've already stepped over the political debate thresh hold of "don't do it" in here.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This just happened to a friend of mine. Someone contacted his job and tried to get him fired for things he said on Twitter. Luckily he didn't get fired, but it was pretty insane considering. It was someone on the left btw

Not that I believe he should get fired but now I'm curious as to what he said that got someone all in a tizzy.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people like Kevin Spacey who did not get "canceled" over one incident, but rather a pattern of aberrant behavior. That said, I don't think Gass will be "canceled" for long. He's just laying low for now, sounds like he's not too happy with Jack Black though, who admittedly has COMPLETELY overreacted to an inappropriate, but not that horrible a joke.

It was clearly a joke... and the same people mad about it are the ones that want to absolve Trump of inciting violence.

Here's the thing though... it is like people forget this stuff has always existed. One of the most popular punk shirts in the 80s was Ronald Reagan with a bullet hole in his head. The Dead Kennedys.. for Fs sake. Rush Limbaugh made a career out of attacking the Clintons relentlessly and making outlandish statements including those about assassination attempts against Bill. There probably isn't a soul alive in the mid 00's who didn't see the Bush shoe throwing and find it at least slightly funny.

Yep...exactly.

And yeah the shoe-throwing incident was hilarious. Much as I hate Dubya, I also came away kinda impressed how unfazed he was by the whole thing.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Not that I believe he should get fired but now I'm curious as to what he said that got someone all in a tizzy.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people like Kevin Spacey who did not get "canceled" over one incident, but rather a pattern of aberrant behavior. That said, I don't think Gass will be "canceled" for long. He's just laying low for now, sounds like he's not too happy with Jack Black though, who admittedly has COMPLETELY overreacted to an inappropriate, but not that horrible a joke.
His best guess is that because he had replied something pro-palestine on an AIPAC tweet someone went through his tweets and found a "dishwasher" joke about his wife. So HR approached him about his misogynistic tweet

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
His best guess is that because he had replied something pro-palestine on an AIPAC tweet someone went through his tweets and found a "dishwasher" joke about his wife. So HR approached him about his misogynistic tweet
Ha, that's ridiculous. So long as you ain't regularly posting stuff that's outwardly offensive, HR people shouldn't be anywhere near that shit. As a boss here at work I could not give a shit what an employee posts on their own social media feeds, as far as I'm concerned if they're really attacking people and posting stuff that's just plain horrid, that aspect of their personality shows up at work eventually.

And FTR I don't consider anyone who's mad about someone else being pro-Palestine as a "leftist," not a real one anyway. We're finding out how many pretend leftists there are in Congress like Mark Kelly unfortunately.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
And FTR I don't consider anyone who's mad about someone else being pro-Palestine as a "leftist," not a real one anyway.
Yes I agree with that, he just didn't think a conservative would have been upset at his joke. But I honestly think it was just whatever they could find no matter what it was.

Reactions: Pokecheque

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The idea that Twitter is completely anonymous, but has no problems ruining a 16 year old kid's life over a bad joke or something is just genius. We should get kids as young as 8 or 9 to show a mistake so we can kick 'em out society even earlier... little ungrateful punks. Wasn't even a decade ago they were parasites infecting their mothers and stealing their health.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The idea that Twitter is completely anonymous, but has no problems ruining a 16 year old kid's life over a bad joke or something is just genius. We should get kids as young as 8 or 9 to show a mistake so we can kick 'em out society even earlier... little ungrateful punks. Wasn't even a decade ago they were parasites infecting their mothers and stealing their health.
It is honestly kinda crazy that this isn’t satire to some.

And let's also draw really clear lines regarding the Middle East as if anyone really gives a ratdick about either Israel or Palestine.
The British attempted this once.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It is honestly kinda crazy that this isn’t satire to some.
I know, I actually appreciate the comment pointing it out, just in case someone else didn't understand. I started to feel like everyone must be thinking, damn he's a bigger jackass than normal today. *LOL*

The world just seems to have gone upside down on me with some aspects of how we approached building the internet and the way we react and interface with it. And for crying out loud, here I am yelling at clouds again.

*LOL* 'Night y'all.

• Haha
Reactions: henchman21

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Anyone tried Fubo or other streaming services with Altitude?
Fubo works blackout free since it's the 'local' network (alt). It's just expensive, $95 per month since you gotta have the 'regional' add on. But otherwise, yeah works fine.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
That's what I ended up going with. It's alright, but there is a noticeable stream delay. Don't expect to be chatting about the game in realtime without getting 30 seconds to 1 minute spoiled on what's about to happen.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
That's what I ended up going with. It's alright, but there is a noticeable stream delay. Don't expect to be chatting about the game in realtime without getting 30 seconds to 1 minute spoiled on what's about to happen.
Oh yeah I forgot about that :laugh: my buddies have cable (charter/spectrum) with DVR so they just pause it for a few that way we can text in 'real time'

Reactions: Murzu and sethro109

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I never do much GDT anyway. A lot of the time I'm just watching the DVR of games in the mornnig.

Fubo works blackout free since it's the 'local' network (alt). It's just expensive, $95 per month since you gotta have the 'regional' add on. But otherwise, yeah works fine.
Still a bit cheaper than Direct TV.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Yeah, that's what I use. We're paying for it for our AirBnB, so I use it to watch the Avs games too. There is a way to bypass the blackouts on ESPN+ though but it's kind of a pain

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I ever tell youl about the time I made an Air BnB remove its hidden cameras because they didn't want what the rock was cooking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad