OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Has anyone ever struggled with a perception of being arrogant or egotistical? I've had this issue more times than I care to admit, yet it feels like every time it's come up it's been from people that I would define like that. So I can't ever tell if I'm just clashing with other strong personalities or if I'm legitimately doing something wrong. To further compound things, when it comes up it's always clouded around compliments contrary to that statement. I received a ton of great feedback last week, yet got hit with this this week from someone else.

I'll never understand at this rate. I know it was bad when I was younger, but I made a concerted effort to change since then.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Has anyone ever struggled with a perception of being arrogant or egotistical? I've had this issue more times than I care to admit, yet it feels like every time it's come up it's been from people that I would define like that. So I can't ever tell if I'm just clashing with other strong personalities or if I'm legitimately doing something wrong. To further compound things, when it comes up it's always clouded around compliments contrary to that statement. I received a ton of great feedback last week, yet got hit with this this week from someone else.

I'll never understand at this rate. I know it was bad when I was younger, but I made a concerted effort to change since then.
That's a tough one. Can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. It sounds to me like you're just conflicting with other strong personalities, but with the conflicting feedback it can be hard to figure out what you're doing wrong. Being self aware of having an ego seems like half the battle. As long as most of the feedback is positive there shouldn't be much need to change? Wish I could help more, but I just don't have much experience with this.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is this more at work, or in personal life?

On a side note... Alex Cameron killed last night at the Globe!

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Is this more at work, or in personal life?

More of an issue at work, used to be both years ago. Had a lot of friends help me get past it, I partially attribute it to growing up in one of those "you're the best, you can do anything" households. Just can't seem to figure out how I can have a meeting (when I was in Japan) and one team (Japanese) can say it was phenomenal and have great feedback (even about me personally) and another team (US) can say the opposite. In the past I had a similar experience internationally, one team saying one thing and another saying another.

Probably not fair to ask people who haven't seen my behavior personally, just kinda wondering if it's something anyone has observed before for things I can look out for.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
More of an issue at work, used to be both years ago. Had a lot of friends help me get past it, I partially attribute it to growing up in one of those "you're the best, you can do anything" households. Just can't seem to figure out how I can have a meeting (when I was in Japan) and one team (Japanese) can say it was phenomenal and have great feedback (even about me personally) and another team (US) can say the opposite. In the past I had a similar experience internationally, one team saying one thing and another saying another.

Probably not fair to ask people who haven't seen my behavior personally, just kinda wondering if it's something anyone has observed before for things I can look out for.

We all know you're an arrogant prick, but we like you anyway.

Why can't the U.S. team members think that same way?

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It might be your approach to presenting ideas/solutions. If you are always giving answers and throwing out ideas (and debating them heavily)... people will tend to see you as a guy that that isn't collaborative and thinks his ideas are better than others. Ask more questions, give more positive feedback to others, and maybe as importantly, try to connect with people personally in small talk. Even if it is a quick 5 minute conversation on someone's weekend... it humanizes you more to those people. That said, some people are just impossible to please...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

I can't say I've ever had the perception of being arrogant or egotistical, but I do have a friend who is the bolded. Let's call her Betty. Every time that Betty would talk badly about someone, or shift the blame of something entirely onto someone else, the first thing that jumped to mind was 'well, you're basically describing yourself' or 'this is your fault though..', who has also said multiple times that she purposely puts down her friends to make herself feel better. I wasn't really sure if it was just me overthinking it, but when I mentioned it to one of her closest friends who's known her a much longer time than I have, and she just rolled her eyes and was like yup that's Betty....

So I don't really have anything outside of my own anecdotal experience, and I don't know you, but you've said you've made a concerted effort to change it, which means you have some introspection, and it doesn't come up anymore with friends/family but only with select few, I'd say it's more so them than yourself.

Also maybe there's a cultural difference in how your US vs Japanese clients view you?

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It might be your approach to presenting ideas/solutions. If you are always giving answers and throwing out ideas (and debating them heavily)... people will tend to see you as a guy that that isn't collaborative and thinks his ideas are better than others. Ask more questions, give more positive feedback to others, and maybe as importantly, try to connect with people personally in small talk. Even if it is a quick 5 minute conversation on someone's weekend... it humanizes you more to those people. That said, some people are just impossible to please...

Thanks Hench! Appreciate this post, helps remind me that the people I think I had the hardest time with are the ones I didn't yet level with personally. But the ones that had my back so to speak we always share before calls and have a joke to start the day. I think it comes down to something similar to what you said but making sure I engage everyone. Some people are definitely difficult by nature, I have a couple of them on another project. But until I've truly exhausted all my options I need to keep focusing on that peer element. As a guy I find this is infinitely more important to do with women.

So I don't really have anything outside of my own anecdotal experience, and I don't know you, but you've said you've made a concerted effort to change it, which means you have some introspection, and it doesn't come up anymore with friends/family but only with select few, I'd say it's more so them than yourself.

Sounds exactly like me before. For more anecdotal notes, I used to be that way because it was my own defense mechanism to avoid the pain of not being liked by people. If I just said I was better than them or found someone I could feel superior to, I didn't feel like the lowest person there. And often that meant communicating selfishly and with little regard for others.

It's frustrating to think back that way, but a lot of it was my teenager years which didn't help. College and Travel is what ultimately broke it, friends that were more mature and experiencing other cultures.

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
giphy.gif

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Anybody tried to learn a new language using an app? What do people like/use?

Been looking at Duolingo because it's free, but i think that something more engaging would be better. Have seen fluentu online which looks interesting too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

For what it is worth, I don't think an arrogant or egotistical prick would even worry about this? So uh, nope, don't think that's the issue.

I would imagine you more or less were correct with the clashing of two personalities. If it really bothers you, I'd recommend just asking for a few minutes with the person in question and discussing it. Just say you want to make sure y'all maintain a smooth professional relationship but you get the impression they have an issue with you and ask to work it out.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Just stumbled across a possible apartment. It's seriously a single block from where I work. I wouldn't have to commute a single day. I could drink all the beer I want and not have to worry about getting home. It's in my price range, has a balcony, and all utilities paid. GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

Reactions: agentblack

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just stumbled across a possible apartment. It's seriously a single block from where I work. I wouldn't have to commute a single day. I could drink all the beer I want and not have to worry about getting home. It's in my price range, has a balcony, and all utilities paid. GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

Better go mark your territory NOW!

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Better go mark your territory NOW!

I'm on it.

Edit* The guy I'm texting about it is kind of hard to understand. I ask what day it will be available, and he responds soon. I tell him that I need it in two weeks, and he responds he thinks he can. I don't personally know him, but I know who he is and mostly trust him, but damn, why can't you just tell me when it's available.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm on it.

Edit* The guy I'm texting about it is kind of hard to understand. I ask what day it will be available, and he responds soon. I tell him that I need it in two weeks, and he responds he thinks he can. I don't personally know him, but I know who he is and mostly trust him, but damn, why can't you just tell me when it's available.
Maybe he's also drinking all the beer and not worrying about it.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm on it.

Depends on how long it takes to get the blood stains and stench out.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
In the Denver housing market I could see blood stains and stench being sold as adding authentic character to apartment.

Who wants a fresh built condo when you could get an old heroin den?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad