OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man I totally forgot about Illegal Pete's. Definitely miss that place, though people should see the insane amount of restaurants that pop up (and go down) in Lincoln. Frankly it's way too many for a town of this size but what can ya do.

Illegal Pete’s is the best burrito/fast food “Mexican” place in Denver to my knowledge. It’s so good.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Illegal Pete’s is the best burrito/fast food “Mexican” place in Denver to my knowledge. It’s so good.
Their green chili kind of sucks though, doesn't even touch Jack'n'Grill's IMO.

There are three Taco Bells in all of Finland, and that's all the Mexican fast food there is. I'm okay with that.
Authentic Mexican food can beat out any cuisine as far as I am concerned. Unbelievable food, but definitely not the stuff from Taco Bell, though no sure how many Central and South Americans live in Finland though. When you eventually get married (if you want to of course), spend your honeymoon on one of the Mexican resorts and go wild with the food.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean of course it depends where you're from and your native dialect, but as an East coast guy it just always stands out to me when I hear it not pronounced the way I'm used to. Whenever I visit my family down South Carolina my little cousins always comment how we talk funny :laugh:
I always try to anglicize Finnish place names when I speak English over here, and it's super weird, because in doing that I knowingly stress the completely wrong syllables. With cities it's easy but with stuff like long street names it sounds super stupid, since I speak Finnish. You either do that or code-switch for one word in the middle of a sentence, which doesn't really make it any better, especially I'd imagine if the listener is a native English speaker...
Authentic Mexican food can beat out any cuisine as far as I am concerned. Unbelievable food, but definitely not the stuff from Taco Bell, though no sure how many Central and South Americans live in Finland though. When you eventually get married (if you want to of course), spend your honeymoon on one of the Mexican resorts and go wild with the food.
Yeah, I'd imagine that's a totally different animal (since at Taco Bell, the animal is rat). But yeah, Swedish and Russian cultures are pretty much the only ones that have legitimately seeped into Finnish culture. Well that and there's some Thai and Turkish presence in the food culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppberg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There are three Taco Bells in all of Finland, and that's all the Mexican fast food there is. I'm okay with that.

Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food. Hell, it's not even Tex-Mex. It's just plain terrible. The only thing it is good for is giving you the shits.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh no, the Taco Bell off of 88th in Westminster is where I spent a lot of time in my formative years. Apparently it was such a great hangout for teens they put these ridiculous high-powered halogen lamps to light the parking lot up at night to drive 'em off. Food was always at least a'ight.

Nacho fries are actually pretty good.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I haven't had Taco Bell in what seems like years (in reality it's only been about 2 months)...I quit them and a lot of the other fast food's I was eating cold turkey.

I miss the hell out of the steak breakfast quesadilla though...and the steak soft taco's (with the avocado ranch sauce).

Perhaps when I reach my goal weight and allow myself to have certain things again, in heavy moderation of course.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I always try to anglicize Finnish place names when I speak English over here, and it's super weird, because in doing that I knowingly stress the completely wrong syllables. With cities it's easy but with stuff like long street names it sounds super stupid, since I speak Finnish. You either do that or code-switch for one word in the middle of a sentence, which doesn't really make it any better, especially I'd imagine if the listener is a native English speaker...

Yeah, I'd imagine that's a totally different animal (since at Taco Bell, the animal is rat). But yeah, Swedish and Russian cultures are pretty much the only ones that have legitimately seeped into Finnish culture. Well that and there's some Thai and Turkish presence in the food culture.

They're not going to waste a perfectly good rat on your taco. They just give it a healthy squeeze. It's reusable that way.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm jelly. Have you had fresh water eel or whale yet? Both are amazing.

Eel was good. Tried squid sushi (cuttlefish) and had intestines cooked in a broth in front of me. Never thought I'd try those but figured when in Japan...

I missed quite a few destinations, too busy. But if I come back it'll be done right the second time by traveling outside my 15-20 minute radius and doing more. I did go out to one of those bars/clubs where guys just talk to women, Japanese guy with me said you wouldn't find this elsewhere. It was interesting, but a bit weird that guys pay $100 to drink, buy women drinks and mostly talk. I used it as an expensive Japanese language/culture lesson and learned some new words and taught them English.

Really hope I'm approved to come back in May. From my understanding the customer loved me, after they gave a huge toast after dinner the lead turned to me first to thank me and placed his hand on my shoulder. Did the same thing before I left, but to no one else. Also received a few gifts that I saw no one else get.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eel was good. Tried squid sushi (cuttlefish) and had intestines cooked in a broth in front of me. Never thought I'd try those but figured when in Japan...

I missed quite a few destinations, too busy. But if I come back it'll be done right the second time by traveling outside my 15-20 minute radius and doing more. I did go out to one of those bars/clubs where guys just talk to women, Japanese guy with me said you wouldn't find this elsewhere. It was interesting, but a bit weird that guys pay $100 to drink, buy women drinks and mostly talk. I used it as an expensive Japanese language/culture lesson and learned some new words and taught them English.

Really hope I'm approved to come back in May. From my understanding the customer loved me, after they gave a huge toast after dinner the lead turned to me first to thank me and placed his hand on my shoulder. Did the same thing before I left, but to no one else. Also received a few gifts that I saw no one else get.
Yeah I know what you're talking about, I watched Anthony Bourdain when he went Japan and pretty much did the same thing. Bought expensive whiskey, go to a 40th floor lounge area, and hire women to talk to them. Seems like something 70 year old businessmen do.

You're in the biomedical field correct? Or was it biochemistry? What do you do for customers if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Yeah I know what you're talking about, I watched Anthony Bourdain when he went Japan and pretty much did the same thing. Bought expensive whiskey, go to a 40th floor lounge area, and hire women to talk to them. Seems like something 70 year old businessmen do.

You're in the biomedical field correct? Or was it biochemistry? What do you do for customers if you don't mind me asking?

Yep, it was Souchu I believe (vodka? But very weak?) I had. It wasn't bad by any means, the girls were fun to talk to like they should be. Just a silly way to spend money.

I studied Biomedical Engineering and then became a consultant. Now I run global programs for pharmaceutical and Medical device companies who are creating commercial systems for the management of all their scientific and promotional stuff. I understand enough about the drug and device development life cycle, regulations and the teams involved to help companies understand the big picture on how they need to manage things to save money. So in Japan my customer will be launching drugs in a few months and they need somewhere to help organize all of their commercial operations around that. My team builds it and I manage the work. If you're interested in more just pm me.

I didn't want to be at a lab bench or a cubicle for years to 'make it'. The days can be long but the responsibilities I have are huge. Hoping to move into a high enough position I can be in more strategy and less technical so the grind isn't as bad.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
*sigh*

I think I've hit my first actual wall/plateau in this weight loss thing.

I'll be upfront, so as to accurately convey the whole story. I started at 338 lbs, and as I said before I lived my life and often said "I live how I live, and I'll die how I die". I started this because I wanted something better for myself. Whereas every other time I tried to do this it was always for a misguided reason (usually for someone else).

I hit the 70 lbs loss mark not too long ago, but for the last week-ish (maybe slightly less than a week), I've been sort of stuck in the 263/264 range. I don't believe I'm eating any different. Though I have made a better attempt at meal prepping, this is still only the 3rd time I've done it (which my meals consist of 4oz of baked chicken and 2.5oz of steamed broccoli).

I got some advice already from a good friend, and I'm going to try that out, but it is f***ing frustrating to be hitting it. I also know it's probably time for me to start incorporating more weightlifting into my workouts (which up to this point have largely been just extensive cardio work).

I'm down to 263, my goal has been 220. I refuse to accept that this is a permanent block, but as I said it's frustrating considering I was losing at such a rapid pace before. I want that f***ing scale to start reading in the 250's soon, and then get my goddamn mojo back.

Reactions: Tweaky and JWK

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
The last time I had taco bell was probably 10 years ago Cinco De Mayo. Ate around 10 tacos, went to a party, ate many more tacos, drank a 5th of tequila. You can probably finish the story.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
@ASmileyFace knows that it’s all about Zia’s.
You know it. Zia is top notch stuff, but even I think Pete's is better. Maybe it's because Pete's is more like a treat and I eat Zia nearly every week :laugh:

For all my skiers, has anyone seen this new Ikon pass? What a ****ing deal.
RIP Mountain Collective.

I'm so damn bummed that Telluride didn't join the Ikon. It would have been the perfect pass for me in that case. Especially at that $600 price point. Instead I have to debate next year over going for the Epic just for the Telluride days or Ikon if I plan on traveling much.

Or I could just do another year without a pass and only do backcountry.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You know it. Zia is top notch stuff, but even I think Pete's is better. Maybe it's because Pete's is more like a treat and I eat Zia nearly every week :laugh:

RIP Mountain Collective.

I'm so damn bummed that Telluride didn't join the Ikon. It would have been the perfect pass for me in that case. Especially at that $600 price point. Instead I have to debate next year over going for the Epic just for the Telluride days or Ikon if I plan on traveling much.

Or I could just do another year without a pass and only do backcountry.

So jealous, I wish I could eat Zia’s every week! Lol but Pete’s and Zia’s are both top notch food.

And yeah that’s a tougher decision for you since, none of the mountains on the Ikon pass are super close to you. But if you travel a couple times to ski that’s an absolutely amazing pass to get.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
So jealous, I wish I could eat Zia’s every week! Lol but Pete’s and Zia’s are both top notch food.

And yeah that’s a tougher decision for you since, none of the mountains on the Ikon pass are super close to you. But if you travel a couple times to ski that’s an absolutely amazing pass to get.
Honestly next winter I hope to be either volunteering or working at a resort somewhere, so that will make pass decisions easier. This full time carpentry thing through the winter is rough. Want to split it more seasonally in the future.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Honestly next winter I hope to be either volunteering or working at a resort somewhere, so that will make pass decisions easier. This full time carpentry thing through the winter is rough. Want to split it more seasonally in the future.

Makes sense. Any resorts you have in mind?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
*sigh*

I think I've hit my first actual wall/plateau in this weight loss thing.

I'll be upfront, so as to accurately convey the whole story. I started at 338 lbs, and as I said before I lived my life and often said "I live how I live, and I'll die how I die". I started this because I wanted something better for myself. Whereas every other time I tried to do this it was always for a misguided reason (usually for someone else).

I hit the 70 lbs loss mark not too long ago, but for the last week-ish (maybe slightly less than a week), I've been sort of stuck in the 263/264 range. I don't believe I'm eating any different. Though I have made a better attempt at meal prepping, this is still only the 3rd time I've done it (which my meals consist of 4oz of baked chicken and 2.5oz of steamed broccoli).

I got some advice already from a good friend, and I'm going to try that out, but it is ****ing frustrating to be hitting it. I also know it's probably time for me to start incorporating more weightlifting into my workouts (which up to this point have largely been just extensive cardio work).

I'm down to 263, my goal has been 220. I refuse to accept that this is a permanent block, but as I said it's frustrating considering I was losing at such a rapid pace before. I want that ****ing scale to start reading in the 250's soon, and then get my goddamn mojo back.

I don't have much to offer in terms of weight loss, I myself train for Obstacle Racing so my methods are probably frowned upon in the fitness community but I can try to chime in here...

Seems like you have already been doing great, i've noticed people give up a lot easier when they dramatically changed their diet they give up easier and the easier they go back to nailing junk food and things like that.

Definitely make sure you are eating breakfast in the morning, try to stick to eating a meal every 4 hours, try eating most of your daily carbs around your workout time (before and after your workout).

Weight lifting will be a great way to help you speed up the process, I would suggest trying to do more functional training doing super sets (for example doing bench press and immediately after doing pushups or some sort of fast body weight movement) this will help BIG time!

I have also been reading lately that long slow cardio is not as effective in losing weight as every one thinks, I would suggest start trying to do short fast burst cardio with rest in between like HIIT workouts (for example sprint for 20 seconds rest for 40 or bike fast for 12 seconds and rest for 8 seconds *my personal fave*) at the start of your workout and hit the weights after. Will make for a quick workout and will allow your metabolism for some EPOC action to keep your body burning calories all day!

Hope this helps, sorry might not be much to offer and may be confusing to read, just wanted to give some quick advice before bed!

Reactions: UncleRisto

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Makes sense. Any resorts you have in mind?
Only place close by I'd do is Telluride, maybe Crested Butte. I applied to a job at Alta this last summer so I'd likely try again there. Maybe Baker or somewhere else in the PNW if I really wanted to get away from Colorado.

Not sure yet. Need to see how this summer goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad