(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How is Boston 14th and Utah4th?! Come on, Boston has been a steady playoff team for many years and the UHC would be ranked around the last spot if they were still named the arizona coyotes

You just answered your own question.

The name changed so the ranking changed

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Here is the list, read for the reasonings.

1. Florida
2. Dallas Stars
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23, St Louis
24. Minnnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. Islanders
I wonder if they did one for the Coaches, if the Pens aren't dead last in that, I call bullshit.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Montreal at 6? Why? It must be a bump for having a GM who talks to the media. Around the TDL the discussion by insiders about Montreal trade targets was constant. This must be a reward for that.

bc they're in the sweet spot of a rebuild where they've accumulated young talent that's flashed potential and fans exclusively notice the flashes of upside. they have zero expectations of results right now so there's no frustration with them...it's all about the future.

at a certain point though, that changes.

to be clear, this isn't a comment on mtl and their mgmt one way or the other. this is a franchise agnostic assessment of fanbase mentality through a rebuild. everything is all well and good when the only focus of the present is the future...but every game has the fate of the world hanging in the balance for a lot of people when the present carries expectations.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
why are you obsessed with us
since when?

Not his fault. Me and a friend beat him up and stole his lunch money, while wearing our Red Wings jackets. Don't blame him for being bitter!
Wtf :laugh: I don’t think I’ve brought up anything about Detroit in the main boards… like ever. Maybe in regards to ASP awhile back. LOL

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
since you hyperfocused on pointing out that the 21st ranked team (which also happens to be one of the league's most improved teams/organizations during the current regime's tenure) should be ranked lower.
I’m genuinely curious how your widely erroneous perception of being “obsessed” appertains to your daily life if you think an open ended opinion somehow postulates an obsession.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m genuinely curious how your widely erroneous perception of being “obsessed” appertains to your daily life if you think an open ended opinion somehow postulates an obsession.
I'm genuinely curious how you handle being on the internet if you take everything everyone says as being literal.

I also don't see how Detroit being 21st warrants a comment from anyone who isn't specifically looking for reasons to say something negative about them.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I'm genuinely curious how you handle being on the internet if you take everything everyone says as being literal.

I also don't see how Detroit being 21st warrants a comment from anyone who isn't specifically looking for reasons to say something negative about them.
why would you weirdly tell someone they’re obsessed and expect them to not think it was literal.

so now that you’ve brought me to this… being 21st is just outside of being a bottom 10 team lol. yzerman traded two top 4 dman (Walman/Hronek) for nothing and a similar profiled prospect that’s 4-5 years behind of development to avoid paying what he had top 4 money. he publicly then states he’s looking for a top 4 defenseman but has chosen to remain content with icing a d core that consists of Chiarot, Gustafson, Holl, Petry, and Maata. questionable draft choices (Kasper not tracking well, Danielsson at 9, Cleveland with a 2nd rounder). no real high end prospects despite years of drafting high or high-ish, a lot of mid range players, and a giant question mark on defense suggests to me in his 5 or so years as GM, he has barely made much of an improvement to Detroit.

at some point Detroit needs to make win now moves that can push them into potential playoff territory and Yzerman hasn’t done anything remotely close to that but instead has perpetually turned Detroit into a mid tier team too good to draft high and too mediocre to even sniff a playoff berth.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
why would you weirdly tell someone they’re obsessed and expect them to not think it was literal.

so now that you’ve brought me to this… being 21st is just outside of being a bottom 10 team lol. yzerman traded two top 4 dman (Walman/Hronek) for nothing and a similar profiled prospect that’s 4-5 years behind of development to avoid paying what he had top 4 money. he publicly then states he’s looking for a top 4 defenseman but has chosen to remain content with icing a d core that consists of Chiarot, Gustafson, Holl, Petry, and Maata. questionable draft choices (Kasper not tracking well, Danielsson at 9, Cleveland with a 2nd rounder). no real high end prospects despite years of drafting high or high-ish, a lot of mid range players, and a giant question mark on defense suggests to me in his 5 or so years as GM, he has barely made much of an improvement to Detroit.

at some point Detroit needs to make win now moves that can push them into potential playoff territory and Yzerman hasn’t done anything remotely close to that but instead has perpetually turned Detroit into a mid tier team too good to draft high and too mediocre to even sniff a playoff berth.
I mean... you're allowed your opinion. But objectively, by like everything that can be measured and attempted to be ranked, Detroit is one of the most improved organizations of the last 5 years. The fact you are bringing up a random 2nd round pick as a negative just shows you are reaching for reasons. Most organizations have done far worse things the last few years than make a bad 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Utah should be listed as UNKNOWN for this article to have any credibility. The rest I could believe.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Utah should be listed as UNKNOWN for this article to have any credibility. The rest I could believe.
Good God man. It's a fan poll of current front offices, for one, and the coyotes front office stayed the exact same when they moved to UT except for ownership, which clearly got better. Fans can have an opinion.

This thread is amazing and disappointing all at once with the reading comprehension levels.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean... you're allowed your opinion. But objectively, by like everything that can be measured and attempted to be ranked, Detroit is one of the most improved organizations of the last 5 years. The fact you are bringing up a random 2nd round pick as a negative just shows you are reaching for reasons. Most organizations have done far worse things the last few years than make a bad 2nd round pick.
I added that to emphasize bad drafting.

Also improving from a bottom 10 team to just outside the bottom 10 isn’t exactly much to write home about, especially since it’s about to go on 9 years since a playoff appearance. Anyways, the playoffs are nicer when Detroit is in them, I do hope Detroit makes it through this year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Uhmmm... Yes it does matter. How can you not comprehend that?

The fact that he keeps bringing up the last 13-years for Buffalo, really shows how much trouble he's having just wrapping his head around the concept of the post.

In a thread about each team's current front office, he's seems to be singularly obsessed with the last 13-years for the Buffalo Sabres. He believes, the quality of the Sabres current front office, which came into existence for the 2020-21 season, should somehow actually be measured by things that happened during the time Jason Botterill was the GM, when Tim Murray was the GM and even some of the years that Darcy Reiger was running the team.

He either didn't even read the title of the thread he was responding, or he didn't care and instead wanted to rant about the Sabres playoff struggles a full decade before the current GM was even on the job.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'll get hate but don't care, Toronto being under Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, and a few others is laughable. A lot of those teams haven't been able to get out of the basement for a decade and the Leafs are a yearly top 10 team who was in the 2nd round just last season
Yes, but this is a poll taken of fans opinions. I don't think you can blame the fans when in the playoffs they've completely imploded time after time and have been out of the 1st round exactly one time (and eliminated in the second). With their talent, payroll, and insistence of running back essentially the same team over and over when they've demonstrated it's not a team that can seriously contend, can you blame them?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Good God man. It's a fan poll of current front offices, for one, and the coyotes front office stayed the exact same when they moved to UT except for ownership, which clearly got better. Fans can have an opinion.

This thread is amazing and disappointing all at once with the reading comprehension levels.

And as a fan I can have an opinion too. :huh:

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Give me a legitimate argument for Toronto to be lower than Buffalo, you can't because their isn't one.

When you miss the playoffs for 13 straight years you don't belong anywhere but last.

The Buffalo Sabres are the worst run team in the league, with a 13 year playoff drought it can't be anybody but them.
First off, give me a legitimate reason for using "their" there.

Secondly, it is a fan poll. As a Sabres "fan", I feel more confident in Adams, Ruff, and the scouting staff than I have in 17 years (ie since the bottom fell out in 2007). I don't like them or the team much any more, and I hate ownership, but I also believe that they have a reasonable plan forward (for a small market team with a stench of losing, the best path for sustained success is drafting well and signing long term contracts early). They have a solid group, and waves of prospects coming in, and have a proven coach with a mandate for success. The fanbase is already broken, and those few of us that are still hanging on are delusional or basking in schadenfreude, and vote accordingly.

For the Leafs, they have major salary cap hurdles, and currently have Treliving and Shanahan leading the way - eww. I like Berube, but he has one flash in the pan run to a cup. And Toronto has a lot more pressure at the moment, with limited post season success and a window closing (and the omnipresent pressures of the Toronto media, 1967, etc). As a sports fan, the angst of a window closing prior to achieving a championship leads to doubts, which will also drag down sentiment.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Pittsburgh @29 with Dubas (former Toronto) at the helm. @30 Leafs (nuff said - Treliving or not, Shanahan is the problem here), @32 Islanders with Lamiorello (former Toronto) at the helm.

Maybe a coincidence, but some I see some patterns...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad