(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Here is the list, read for the reasonings.

1. Florida
2. Dallas Stars
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23, St Louis
24. Minnnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. Islanders
I just like the fact Pittsburgh is ahead of Toronto. That must kill Leaf fans who blame all the playoff failings of the Leafs on Kyle Dubas.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I just like the fact Pittsburgh is ahead of Toronto. That must kill Leaf fans who blame all the playoff failings of the Leafs on Kyle Dubas.

Why would it kill them? They're probably aware that for losing Dubas, they inherited the architect of the Hubedeau contract. Meanwhile Shanahan hired this GM and the last GM.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I can't afford 0.50cents a week to read. My stock portfolio was not diverse enough.

Did the Edmonton section mention fans asking "Why Bowman?" That was what I sent in.. I just want to know, why?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyGhost92

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Imagine phrasing the Leafs' blowing their best window in decades to end their 55 year Cup drought as "They just haven't won at one time of year" to cope lmao.

That time of year just happens to be the playoffs.

This is the sports equivalent of, "I'm really smart I'm just a bad test taker." :laugh:

Claims to not be a hater earlier in this thread lol. Anyways man, have a good one. Hockey season almost back thank god

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Surprised Tampa is still so high to be honest.
This year is big for JBB. Another early exit and the fan base will start to sour on him.

He inherited a ton of riches on the ice and in the minors.

Yzerman set him up for massive success. JBB pulled his own levers to the tune of two cups.

Now, we see what JBB is made of

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Claims to not be a hater earlier in this thread lol. Anyways man, have a good one. Hockey season almost back thank god

It is, once again, weird that Leafs fans think anybody who points out their teams' deficiencies is a hater. The last time you won the majority of viewers had black and white TVs. You have nothing to hate except your insufferable fans. And as evidenced in this poll, even THEY think your management sucks. :laugh:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
this is a poll of fan's perception of the team's management today forecasting future success right? All the talk of X years making the playoffs or missing the playoffs is not relevant here. Vancouver just made the playoffs last year and is #5 based on fan's confidence in the current FO, that their management will manage based on where they are in their competitive cycle. although just meant to be a snippet, it appears a pretty good poll of the teams I follow based on scanning their respective forums.

Reactions: Oryxo and coooldude

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He is bad at his job, you don't realize it yet but you will eventually
He is. That's true. But Treliving ain't a whole lot better lol.

PIT was going to crash and burn whether Dubas was driving or somebody else. Good teams that choose ride out their core typically do. They're just extra f***ed because they kept selling 1sts for so long after it was clear they weren't in the top tier of teams anymore.

What's puzzling is why Dubas, who already has blowing Toronto's window on his resume, took a job with PIT, who is all gas no brakes speeding off a cliff with no hope of recovery.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
You’re asserting this is about the prospect pool? Where are the other top 5 prospect pools ranked on this list?
It's a poll of fans. So the MTL fans have high confidence (A- avg). The non-MTL fans are closer to C+/B- avg in ranking MTL's front office.
It's not killing the leafs fans, it's the leafs fans own assessment of their team. Again... ad nauseum... this is a fan poll. The leafs fans graded their front office worse than the PIT fans graded their front office.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Being "a yearly Top-10 team" and "in the 2nd round (2 seasons ago)" isn't super relevant when your GM has been there for only 1 season.

Also, you gotta remember that Treliving's last year in Calgary was pretty much a fart in the elevator.

He won't even make the 4th line, I'm sure the leaf's on ice will be fine.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
This is your best team in 30+ years and that 2nd round drubbing you took last year was the only appearance you've made in the Salary Cap Era...

... That might be why confidence is low. That and the fact that Treliving picked up right where Dubas left off signing shitty contracts.

It's not

Leaf's have made the playoffs every year for awhile, the round a team loses in is as accurate a predictor for future success as the psychic down at the carnival.

Everyone is different and have different levels of confidence, this entire premise of which team's have more or less is basically click bait and something to post about in the off season.

Maybe they will be bad, maybe they will be good time will tell.

Reactions: Bust

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
Yet again, the Leafs have their best roster in 30+ years and have done absolutely nothing close to successful with it. And their new GM is making the same bad deals their last GM was making.

I'd knock them down 5 spots simply for taking PLD with no retention for no compensation. :dunno:

I like this line of thought, it shows me that your incapable of grasping the basic premise that there are actually other teams in the league who are also doing their best to win the cup.

Unless you can define success as something other than winning a cup then I really have no idea what world you are living in.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's a poll of fans. So the MTL fans have high confidence (A- avg). The non-MTL fans are closer to C+/B- avg in ranking MTL's front office.

It's not killing the leafs fans, it's the leafs fans own assessment of their team. Again... ad nauseum... this is a fan poll. The leafs fans graded their front office worse than the PIT fans graded their front office.

Don’t have a subscription.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They moved all their money onto the defense and goaltending for the first time ever. Should see a big improvement on that end of the ice

They moved all their money to defense and goaltending?

Brodie was making $5 million and Klingberg $4.1 million for $9.1 million. Now Tanev is making $4.5 million and OEL is making $3.5 million for a total of $8 million.

Then in net the Maple Leafs went from paying Samsonov $3.5 million to paying Stolarz $2.5 million.

If they moved all their money there, how come they are spending less?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Doesn't matter that it's not the same management group.

13 years is 13 years they should be last.

This is literally a list of the best Front Offices and you're saying it doesn't matter it's not the same management group while you repeatedly talk about multiple management groups in Buffalo.

I think you might struggling a bit with the topic of the thread.

mynameisvincent

May 15, 2022
How is Boston 14th and Utah4th?! Come on, Boston has been a steady playoff team for many years and the UHC would be ranked around the last spot if they were still named the arizona coyotes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad