(The Athletic) NHL Front-office confidence rankings

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Here is the list, read for the reasonings.

1. Florida
2. Dallas Stars
3. Tampa Bay
4. Utah
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Nashville
11. Vegas
12. Chicago
13. San Jose
14. Boston
15. Washington
16. Anaheim
17. New York
18. Calgary
19. Winnipeg
20. Philadelphia
21. Detroit
22. Ottawa
23, St Louis
24. Minnnesota
25. Edmonton
26. Buffalo
27. Seattle
28. Columbus
29. Pittsburgh
30. Toronto
31. Los Angeles
32. Islanders

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'll get hate but don't care, Toronto being under Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, and a few others is laughable. A lot of those teams haven't been able to get out of the basement for a decade and the Leafs are a yearly top 10 team who was in the 2nd round just last season

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'll get hate but don't care, Toronto being under Columbus, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, and a few others is laughable. A lot of those teams haven't been able to get out of the basement for a decade and the Leafs are a yearly top 10 team who was in the 2nd round just last season
Being "a yearly Top-10 team" and "in the 2nd round (2 seasons ago)" isn't super relevant when your GM has been there for only 1 season.

Also, you gotta remember that Treliving's last year in Calgary was pretty much a fart in the elevator.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Did you guys have any changes over the summer?
I know Bowman put us at the 25th despite being 2 goals away from a cup.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Did you guys have any changes over the summer?
I know Bowman put us at the 25th despite being 2 goals away from a cup.

They moved all their money onto the defense and goaltending for the first time ever. Should see a big improvement on that end of the ice plus you know, a whole new coaching staff.

Regardless, in the context I said, it is laughable.

Being "a yearly Top-10 team" and "in the 2nd round (2 seasons ago)" isn't super relevant when your GM has been there for only 1 season.

And what have the other GM's have to show they are better outside of continuing to not even sniff a playoff spot?

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723 and Coffey

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

This is your best team in 30+ years and that 2nd round drubbing you took last year was the only appearance you've made in the Salary Cap Era...

... That might be why confidence is low. That and the fact that Treliving picked up right where Dubas left off signing shitty contracts.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This is your best team in 30+ years and that 2nd round drubbing you took last year was the only appearance you've made in the Salary Cap Era...

... That might be why confidence is low. That and the fact that Treliving picked up right where Dubas left off signing shitty contracts.

5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
5 months ago Tanev was one of the most wanted and respected shutdown D in the league, now he is a garbage contract. OEL played hard minutes for the cup winners including taking over top PP in the finals now he sucks.

*yawn* not to mention those other teams have signed terrible contracts and again, at least the Leafs are in the playoffs every year
He's a garbage contract because it ends when he's a senior citizen, not because he's a shit player.

But you right. When you haven't won a Cup since there were 6 teams, "At least we're in the playoffs every year" is quite the accomplishment.

... Well, except that one where you got kicked out in the qualifying round.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
And what have the other GM's have to show they are better outside of continuing to not even sniff a playoff spot?
Steve Staios just traded a cap dump for the reigning Vezina winner and Don Waddell didn't do much but had a pretty good track record in Carolina. Staios couldn't have been expected to do much, considering he joined a team that was 13-18-0-0, and Don Waddell just joined Columbus, and thus can't be meaningfully measured on that scale.

Also, they both aren't Brad Treliving.

Reactions: Laus723 and DaveG

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs should be 13-17

They are behind the Buffalo Sabres who haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Detroit who is going for year 9.

Ottawa who is going for year 8

Utah who hasn't played a game as Utah and is the former Arizona

Then you get to Chicago, SJ and the Ducks.

The Athletic should be ashamed to post this.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The difference between the public perception of what Washington is doing and what the fans think is pretty stark. Have always thought BMac was underrated across the league and this helps to confirm that.

Reactions: um

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Leafs should be 13-17

They are behind the Buffalo Sabres who haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Detroit who is going for year 9.

Ottawa who is going for year 8

Utah who hasn't played a game as Utah and is the former Arizona

Then you get to Chicago, SJ and the Ducks.

The Athletic should be ashamed to post this.

Yet again, the Leafs have their best roster in 30+ years and have done absolutely nothing close to successful with it. And their new GM is making the same bad deals their last GM was making.

The difference between the public perception of what Washington is doing and what the fans think is pretty stark. Have always thought BMac was underrated across the league and this helps to confirm that.

I'd knock them down 5 spots simply for taking PLD with no retention for no compensation. :dunno:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yet again, the Leafs have their best roster in 30+ years and have done absolutely nothing close to successful with it. And their new GM is making the same bad deals their last GM was making.

I'd knock them down 5 spots simply for taking PLD with no retention for no compensation. :dunno:

Give me a legitimate argument for Toronto to be lower than Buffalo, you can't because their isn't one.

When you miss the playoffs for 13 straight years you don't belong anywhere but last.

The Buffalo Sabres are the worst run team in the league, with a 13 year playoff drought it can't be anybody but them.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Give me a legitimate argument for Toronto to be lower than Buffalo, you can't because their isn't one.

When you miss the playoffs for 13 straight years you don't belong anywhere but last.

The Buffalo Sabres are the worst run team in the league, with a 13 year playoff drought it can't be anybody but them.

When you realize Buffalo's current management group hasn't been running Buffalo for 13 years...

Adams has made his mistakes, but his cap structuring has been immaculate. That's a quality that has f***ed Toronto's contention window into the shadow realm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad