[The Athletic] Jeff Marek was let go because of allegedly leaking draft selections

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
He reports facts! If you don't like the facts he is reporting, there is an inherent bias of yours informing that feeling! This isn't a dude popping out opinion pieces.
Your first clue should have been when he says he’s “open-minded.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
So if Mark Seidel doesn't tweet on draft night using the information given to him by his friend, does this even get out and does Marek not lose his job? Pretty brutal to know you were the cause or a contributing factor to your friend's scandal, whether directly or indirectly. The more direct cause, of course, is that Marek should've probably kept a lid on it in the first place.

Big fan of Jeff Marek, but it does seem like a bit of screw up on his part. Not something I like to see a guy lose his job over however.

Reactions: DaveG and Voight

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So if Mark Seidel doesn't tweet on draft night using the information given to him by his friend, does this even get out and does Marek not lose his job? Pretty brutal to know you were the cause or a contributing factor to your friend's scandal, whether directly or indirectly. The more direct cause, of course, is that Marek should've probably kept a lid on it in the first place.

Big fan of Jeff Marek, but it does seem like a bit of screw up on his part. Not something I like to see a guy lose his job over however.
If they’ve been doing this for years, it’s Marek’s fault.

However, Sportsnet also has some blame. I highly doubt they didn’t know that Marek tells Seidel, and I bet Marek isn’t the only person who tells people. The producers should have made it clear that given the draft was in Nevada, the broadcast team needed to be a lot more careful.

At least this is nothing that is “cancellable” for Marek. He’ll pick up another job at TSN, the Athletic, or a U.S. network. He could even start his own independent podcast and do very well for himself. This sucks for him and he no doubt feels awful but his career isn’t over.

Reactions: DaveG

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kinda curious, how no other team has been caught doing the stuff that Canadian soccer has been doing. Especially considering how France is on red alert for terrorism, and looking for any suspicious activity.
Caught? Teams don’t need to be caught. It’s pretty well accepted that teams try to spy on other teams practicing. That can be through a hole in a fence or through something as sophisticated as a drone.

I don’t see it as a great sin to try to gain that advantage. I think that’s within bounds. I think it’s an underhanded tactic, but shouldn’t get any type of punishment.

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Thats why he got fired?

who gives a shit about this? This all seems so unnecessary
It's kind of like Disney putting the smack down on a small daycare in some small podunk town for painting Disney characters on the wall. You have to protect the IP.

Now that the NHL is in bed with sports betting, Vegas will force the league to come down hard on every single little issue - whether that situation ultimately matters or not.

In a way, it makes sense. You do have to crush anything that looks like cheating or else you will lose trust and customers, and they certainly don't want the regulators coming down on them for some relatively fringe sport like hockey.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ya it was ironic , he was such a huge supporter of the military, and poppies got him fired.

The 'you people' rant was the chef's kiss, we knew who he was talking about and his got all up in his feelings. This what happens when someone doesn't adjust to the times, him ranting about foreigners from 1988 was not acceptable in 2010's nor 2020's.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I like Marek but this firing is completely justified. He shouldn't have been leaking that information early. He'll land on his feet somewhere else.

Reactions: Curufinwe

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Okay one thing I do wonder. So bets cannot be placed inside 24 hours on the draft - does that restriction apply to cash outs or existing bets though?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Okay one thing I do wonder. So bets cannot be placed inside 24 hours on the draft - does that restriction apply to cash outs or existing bets though?
A poster has said he was online betting on prior to the draft, said his last bet was 1-2 hours prior

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
lol, Dreger wasn’t a broadcast partner at the draft, and wasn’t there.
Weird you keep tripling down on, and have been proven wrong several times over now.
Doesn't matter if Dreger wasn’t doing the event. The NHL has gotten into bed with Vegas and the gambling guys. The NHL was the first league to get involved with Vegas. The NBA has been leery of Vegas. For good reason. A good guy lost his job for something really dumb. The NHL shoves gambling ads into every game.

Reactions: dukeofjive

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Maybe in Vegas, poster has already said he placed a few bets on the day of the draft online, last one an hour or 2 before the draft.
Gaming commission is investigating.
When the various NFL or NBA beat writers post draft picks on twitter before the picks are announced, did the gaming commission investigate them? No. It's been going on for years.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Doesn't matter if Dreger wasn’t doing the event. The NHL has gotten into bed with Vegas and the gambling guys. The NHL was the first league to get involved with Vegas. The NBA has been leery of Vegas. For good reason. A good guy lost his job for something really dumb. The NHL shoves gambling ads into every game.
lol, then shut down twitter.
You keep missing the point, Dreger wasn’t part of the broadcast team. Dreger wasn’t having teams call him to say. Team X is taking player Y. Marek was getting every pick.
I’ll bow out now, if you insist on being obtuse about it.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Was it every draft pick, or expansion pick that Bob McKenzie broke before the pick when he was mad at someone ? I get he wasn't a partner and whatnot.

So, the team would enter the players name into their registry, or whatever, Marek would be informed and then he'd... ? Text it to people?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00