The Armchair GM Thread - LXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Okay do:

Etem + 10th + 38th

Anaheim is our best bet and is the best team to deal with. They have the best flexiblity.

1st round:
Van 1st (6th)
OTT 1st (10th)

2nd round:
Van 2nd (36th)
TOR 2nd (38th)

Thats 4 picks in two rounds.
i would consider Etem/Theodore +2014 10th overall + 2015 1st overall

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think we make plays for Vrbata and Michalek as reasonable targets this free agency season. The big fish of Statsny, Vanek and Gaborik are likely not going to sign here and I think we can get Vrbata and Michalek on 3-4 year deals. I think we still need to be looking into a rebuild through next year and next years draft so I would be open to trading Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Higgins and Garrison for those pieces and maintain competitive during the 4 years in which I believe it will take the current prospects and 2014-2015 prospects to flourish.

We need to get 1 more centre ( top line ), 2 more goal scorers and a top line defensemen in the next two drafts.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
From Garrioch today when talking about potential landing destinations for Spezza:

Didn't know STL were interested I Kesler.

St. Louis doesn't really have the assets to deal with unless Shattenkirk, Tarasenko or maybe Oshie are in the deal. The 21st pick isn't going to get it done, and none of their prospects are particularly interesting.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
St. Louis doesn't really have the assets to deal with unless Shattenkirk, Tarasenko or maybe Oshie are in the deal. The 21st pick isn't going to get it done, and none of their prospects are particularly interesting.

Shattenkirk, Berglund and Cole were suggested (by a local writer) as players Ottawa would be looking at in any deal for Spezza in a recent TSN article. I would think Vancouver might be looking at the same names in a deal for Kesler. A deal around Shattenkirk would be pretty sweet, Tarasenko too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454729

Willting*

Shattenkirk, Berglund and Cole were suggested (by a local writer) as players Ottawa would be looking at in any deal for Spezza in a recent TSN article. I would think Vancouver might be looking at the same names in a deal for Kesler. A deal around Shattenkirk would be pretty sweet, Tarasenko too.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454729

Shattenkrik isn't moving for 2 years of Kesler or 1 year of Spezza. Its really just Berglund and Cole and whatever prospects.

LolClarkson*

I thought Sheldon Sourrey was playing decent in ANA. Why not throw him in at 50% on a Kelser deal ?

Willting*

Willting, what do you think of:

DET 1st + Sheahan + Jurco for Kesler?

Yeah, I'm sure Detroit would be okay with that. I personally think that is a good return.
I'd like the center to be slightly more experienced and I'm sure Benning feels the same.

IMO Benning would probably look to deal for Schenn or Sutter before this offer.

Thoughts?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah, I'm sure Detroit would be okay with that. I personally think that is a good return.
I'd like the center to be slightly more experienced and I'm sure Benning feels the same.

IMO Benning would probably look to deal for Schenn or Sutter before this offer.

Thoughts?

Probably right. Sheahan is not as established, but has good upside. I like that the pick is better than those PIT or PHI can provide, and the third piece, Jurco, is highly skilled. It's an offer that can contend with the others IMO.

DET is still a player in this.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i dont really want either sheahan or jurco in return for kesler. id rather just get picks if those were the highest tier prospects available

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
What's the point trading for Sheahan? We already have Horvat and Gaunce ready, we need a player like Reinhart a projected top line center, not more 2nd 3rd line centers.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
What's the point trading for Sheahan? We already have Horvat and Gaunce ready, we need a player like Reinhart a projected top line center, not more 2nd 3rd line centers.

But the LA model. The LA model. The LA model. A bunch of 2nd liners. ;)

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen
Jurco - Sheahan - Kassian

Willting*

Kesler won't return a future 1C. Schenn is probably the best C piece for a return.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i dont really want either sheahan or jurco in return for kesler. id rather just get picks if those were the highest tier prospects available

Curious why? What tier of prospect were you anticipating?

Get both. The Kesler trade does not preclude a move for #1 overall.

I'd rather they keep adding Horvat/Gaunce types and strengthen their centre pipeline. Recall that they have been vocal about getting centres. Still, Jurco + 1st are also there, so it's not just about Sheahan...

Overall, I think it addresses a few needs.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
DET 1st + Sheahan + Jurco for Kesler?

Overpayment by Detroit IMO. I would be willing to bet 9 out of 10 Wings fans would turn down Kesler for Jurco and Sheahan.

I proposed Edler for Sheahan and Jurco almost a year ago - Canuck fans didn't like it at all. Today, that's a no-brainer on the Canucks end IMO - again, Wings fans will universally dislike it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Overpayment by Detroit IMO. I would be willing to bet 9 out of 10 Wings fans would turn down Kesler for Jurco and Sheahan.

I proposed Edler for Sheahan and Jurco almost a year ago - Canuck fans didn't like it at all. Today, that's a no-brainer on the Canucks end IMO - again, Wings fans will universally dislike it.

They probably will not like it, but I think that's where the value is at. Or, around there.

From DET, the 1st + Sheahan will be an 'auto' include. They won't even get past preliminary talks without that base, IMO. After that, it's up to the bidding battle VAN management is able to create. That will come down to Kesler's list and the level of interest from those parties.

In any event, a 1st + good prospect/young player is going to be standard fare.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any team on Kesler's list and also looking to acquire him is most likely a Cup contender and probably not as hesitant to move big unproven pieces vs teams that are still building.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What do people think of this draft day deal?

Tanev + Garrison + 6th = Jovo + 1st + Petrovic

Now, I know this won't be liked, but it may just be what is required on draft day to get a deal done. This gives FLA a young RHD for passing up Ekblad, and the surety of Garrison. It really digs into VAN's defense though... Very risky. Benning would have to be sure that he could prop up the defense another way.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Let's drum up a proposal.
Untouchables: Shattenkirk, Piet, Bouwmeester, Tarasenko, Backes, Steen, Schwartz, Oshie

Jaskin/Rattie + Berglund? I don't see a deal being made.

St. Louis would definitely be an interesting one to look at in a Kesler deal...but i think the biggest issue is that while they have the one piece that we'd clearly want in Tarasenko, he's likely a non-starter for the Blues.

Berglund would be an interesting piece as a "younger" stopgap #2C, with the potential to move to the wing or down the lineup if we eventually find an upgrade there. He is already 26 though, which puts him not too far removed from UFA status if he's intent on that.

Jaskin is about all there is in terms of prospects/young players who really interest me outside of Tarasenko obviously. Rattie doesn't really excite me that much. Later 1st round pick.

If they were willing to put Tarasenko on the table though, there would be something to really talk about.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Still makes me laugh that Nonis used a CBO on Grabovski only to turn around and use that cap space on the albatross that is David Clarkson.

That's good old Dave Nonis for ya...

Looking at the kings I'm not sure you can even classify any one of their players as "pure skill". Maybe Gaborik but he's also a solid two way player.

Guys like Kopitar and Carter and media darling Justin Williams are rounded players. They play on the wall, they have good shots, they play both ways.

It's why they're successful. Almost all of their individual players have a "balance" to their game.

Most people if posed with the choice between Kopitar and Backstrom, would likely choose kopi. The two way game and size quotient pushes him over the top.

Not to mention I think their skill levels are a lot closer than their reputation would suggest.

Kopitar is up for the Selke... He's the most two way player on their team.

I agree with the spending on the top 9. Gillis was a joke, spending enormous amounts in the defense expecting them to put up 200 points a season. What is even more laughable is he didn't see how crucial Ehrhoff was to achieving that target.

How much would you have paid Ehrhoff? Considering what he's done in Buffalo since...

Nov 1, 2011
I think we make plays for Vrbata and Michalek as reasonable targets this free agency season. The big fish of Statsny, Vanek and Gaborik are likely not going to sign here and I think we can get Vrbata and Michalek on 3-4 year deals. I think we still need to be looking into a rebuild through next year and next years draft so I would be open to trading Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Higgins and Garrison for those pieces and maintain competitive during the 4 years in which I believe it will take the current prospects and 2014-2015 prospects to flourish.

We need to get 1 more centre ( top line ), 2 more goal scorers and a top line defensemen in the next two drafts.

If you could sign Stastny @ $8M x 7 years, and re-sign guys, the roster actually looks not bad.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Stastny - Kesler
Higgins - Horvat/Gaunce - Matthias
Hansen - Santorelli - Richardson
Sestito - Schroeder

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Y. Weber
Stanton

Lack
Mackstrom/Eriksson

...seems pretty good to me if you assume the Sedins play the way they did at the start of last year rather than the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad