Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 36.7%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 85 31.8%

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
going by what McGagg is saying, he hates how he plays with and without the puck and how he's afraid to get hit. Some very different takes on Zegras for sure

If I had to choose between going by what Button says and McCagg, I'd go with Button.

But of course Grant could be right about an individual player over Button.

But let me remind you about Grant's type if takes: when we got Gustav Lindstrom in the Petey trade, Grant said he'd be a top 4 dman in his prime.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
If I had to choose between going by what Button says and McCagg, I'd go with Button.

But of course Grant could be right about an individual player over Button.

But let me remind you about Grant's type if takes: when we got Gustav Lindstrom in the Petey trade, Grant said he'd be a top 4 dman in his prime.
To be honest I don’t care for either of them or their inside info. They both have awful takes.

Reactions: HitHard and 26Mats

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I remember when Jack Eichel was a cancer with character issues too. "There's a guy you can't win with in the playoffs," they said.

Talent is talent. We've got enough lunchpail forwards in this line-up to fill an assembly line. Bring me a star.

Jack Eichel was a star #1 center with size and speed who always played a game that had heavy elements in it.

It's a far cry from Sergei Samsonov with a penchant for the Michigan.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I remember when Jack Eichel was a cancer with character issues too. "There's a guy you can't win with in the playoffs," they said.

Talent is talent. We've got enough lunchpail forwards in this line-up to fill an assembly line. Bring me a star.
He's not a star, not even close.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
But he could be a good top 6 player. I just don't think Anaheim will move him for the modest price I would be willing to pay. They aren't as dumb as Chicago.
You know I see that talent and those high end hands, it makes a fellow wonder what could be. But the price definitely need to be right.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'll fully admit to not watching Ducks games essentially ever so I'm not familiar with Zegras but Ducks fans seem to think he's awesome.

Also, is there a more useless utterance than 'If the price is right'? hahaha. Doesn't that go without saying?

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not too concerned about the willingness for Zegras to start playing defence if he were traded here. The MSL and Caufield connections, the general motivation that comes from a team giving up on you, and the team culture of the young guys who are focused and work hard on becoming better, on top of him dropping down a rung or two on the hierarchy of the teams best players should make buying in pretty much a given at least to start with.

But for it to be worth it to trade for him it has to be more then an initial change then he reverts back to his offensive only focus. For it to really sink in and become belief he'd probably need to see some immediate team/personal success and that's hard to predict. If he starts playing D but he's struggling to put up points and the team is still bottom-10 then he probably stops believing that a commitment to playing proper D is the right way for him to play.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Jack Eichel was a star #1 center with size and speed who always played a game that had heavy elements in it.

It's a far cry from Sergei Samsonov with a penchant for the Michigan.
My point isn't to compare their games or playing style, my point is that every time one of these players becomes available this board in general has to come up with lame excuses on why the team shouldn't pursue them. The same things were said verbatim about Eichel when he was available.

Now, Buffalo is in the division, and we were never going to get him. But I remember clear-as-day posters:

"I want no part of Eichel."

"Diva. Overrated"

"Primadonna"

"GM of his own current team"

"Who knows if he'll even heal correctly?"

Blah blah hblaahhbhbhbllahhblahblahbhbhahh.

It's exhausting. We mocked MB and Therrien for their penchant for "character" but we do the exact same thing on here. The Habs haven't an 80-point player since Kovalev (who got all of these criticisms as well by the way) and the mindset of team management, and now apparently the fanbase, is a big reason why. I'm tired of high-floor, low-ceiling hockey players. We've done enough of it for 20 years or so.

Trevor Zegras? Nah, give me more Christian Dvoraks and Jake Evans' please.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
My point isn't to compare their games or playing style, my point is that every time one of these players becomes available this board in general has to come up with lame excuses on why the team shouldn't pursue them. The same things were said verbatim about Eichel when he was available.

Now, Buffalo is in the division, and we were never going to get him. But I remember clear-as-day posters:

"Diva. Overrated"

"Primadonna"

It's exhausting. We mocked MB and Therrien for their penchant for "character" but we do the exact same thing on here. The Habs haven't an 80-point player since Kovalev (who got all of these criticisms as well by the way) and the mindset of team management, and now apparently the fanbase, is a big reason why. I'm tired of high-floor, low-ceiling hockey players. We've done enough of it for 20 years or so.

Ryan O'Reilly in Buffalo was another one. A few of us wanted to acquire him but so many folks (including the poster you're replying to) were calling him overrated, a diva and not worth the assets. It was ridiculous.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Ryan O'Reilly in Buffalo was another one. A few of us wanted to acquire him but so many folks (including the poster you're replying to) were calling him overrated, a diva and not worth the assets. It was ridiculous.
I know right? God forbid we trade future superstar Ryan Poehling for Ryan O'Reilly.

It's always the same song and dance.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

"Diva. Overrated"

"Primadonna"

We weren't in position to get Eichel, but I would have loved to get him.

I also wanted nothing to do with Dvorak.

Zegras isn't the answer here and I'd rather use those assets to bring in a forward who doesn't have massive question marks. I don't care about hockeydb pages or tik tok I care about cups.

It's also a funny time to be worried about points when our top line is showing they can put up top line results.

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
At least we know that a majority of us (70%) want him here, we just can’t agree on a price.

30% are never trumpers Zegras
Saying you are willing to trade a late first and Mesar for a star player doesn’t convince me they really want the player , its just a no-brainer.
If you “want” the player than you would choose Habs first rounder because thats what it would take

Reactions: McEsenpi

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I think we can get a better player with our top 10 pick cause, ya, that's what they'll ask for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad